Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Daryll Morey doesn't think there is a good defensive metric

http://i.imgur.com/1b1ik.png

This is via his AMA (Ask me Anything) on Reddit (which was confirmed to be him)

Morey is one of the utmost minds on basketball and the use of metrics. (IMO)

What's your opinion on this?

#BostonStrong

vCash
    publicly available. if theres money theres a way

Sim League Spurs
    Gary Payton | Tim Duncan
    2000-01: NBA Finalist
    2001-02: First Round

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/1b1ik.png

This is via his AMA (Ask me Anything) on Reddit (which was confirmed to be him)

Morey is one of the utmost minds on basketball and the use of metrics. (IMO)

What's your opinion on this?
    It's interesting. I feel defensive stats have come a long way. However, I was told something very similar (basically the same thing- that defensive stats weren't well defined) by Dean Oliver (who if you don't know, is the guy who came up with many of the advanced stats you see)
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Probably because its difficult to attribute a missed basket solely to any one individual.

The PSD's Mack-Donald's Crew (formerly the Sheldon Richardson Crew) Members: Raidaz4life, raiderposting, HunterNRoss, N. Cog Neato, RaiderKid318, theGhost-isGone, NYRaiderLove, raiderizer, weeman323, RaJAxTWa, laek, Wolfe-Raider

vCash
    I agree I find basketball defensive stats a joke. There is a few that you can use to make points but it's hard to use it as a sole reason of someone being good. Too many factors and schemes to judge defensive using stats.

vCash
    He is completely right. Defense is so much more complicated to analyze than offense. Vantage Sports is coming out with some great defensive statistics, but they aren't all encompassing. Also, this is assuming Vantage Sports isn't dead, since they didn't meet their kickstarted goal.