Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Actually, I didn't find it remotely believable, but to each his own. Apparently the range on attacking someone with a wireless pacemaker like that is 50 feet, according to an article I just found. I don't remember where the VP was relative to Abu Nazir's computer guy who did the wireless attack, but I don't believe it was that close. If so, that's a fairly significant flaw.

That's something I looked into on my own time, but it's interesting nonetheless. Especially if the distance was significantly greater than 50 feet.

Apparently Cheney has a wireless pacemaker, but I believe that happened after he was no longer VP (2010). I don't think there's a chance they would have given that to him (a wireless pacemaker) if he was still in office.

Just because it's a TV show doesn't mean I should simply accept what they're showing. Critical thinking doesn't just get thrown out the window cause it's a TV show. If you enjoy watching and accepting whatever happens, then good for you. I wouldn't be able to do that, and I guess maybe I just have a higher set of standards here.

The fact that Brody was so far away for so long is another problem. It's essentially saying that the Secret Service is stupid, because:

A) There's nobody on the second floor
    B) The secret service forgot that Brody was there
    C) Nobody knew where the vice-president was

Any of those being true shows the Secret Service as being stupid, something I can assure you is not the case.

There's a difference between doing something because of an emotional decision and poor writing. When blondie runs out in the middle of the field on a dark night where she's clearly visible screaming BRODY, that's poor writing.When she goes after Abu Nazir, knowing full well she can't do anything to stop or slow him down, with the CIA on their way, and with her having NO weapons, that's poor writing.

There are times when she does good things and everybody else disagrees with her, because she's a good analyst and her emotions drive her. In this case, it was neither emotional or logical, just poor writing.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. I thought it was extremely disappointing, and one of the worst of the season from a writing standpoint. Certainly nowhere as good as the earlier ones where they got proof Brody was bad, or when they took Brody down, or when the CIA members were ambushed by the Hezzbolah guy at the tailor shop.
    im sorry, but if your that dilligent in researching things on tv shows that are unrealistic, your never going to enjoy any show you ever watch.

and brody was screaming "Nazir" at the place that his family was being held up, which is where i was referring to. he SNUCK into the VPs office to get the serial #, nobody knew anyone was up there. youd have to be in the hallway outside the door to hear it. Why would any secret service ppl be up there if they knew the VP wasnt anywhere near it?

its not dumb writing, its the character being an idiot, which she has proven to do time and time again. poor writing is if she starts doing backflips or shoots herself in the foot for no reason. are you a screenwriter? script writer? i think you are taking this a little far. look at the ratings, look at the critic's reviews... nobody with any credibility is taking the same stance you are on the "horrible writing" on this episode.
    Last edited by MagicHero3; 12-06-2012 at 05:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicHero3 View Post
    im sorry, but if your that dilligent in researching things on tv shows that are unrealistic, your never going to enjoy any show you ever watch.
    I normally don't, I just did it to prove you wrong in this case. Because it seemed so ridiculous. I felt like I would have been more willing to accept Brody had been bitten by a radioactive spider who gave him superpowers then the silly excuse for writing we call the wireless pacemaker death.

and brody was screaming "Nazir" at the place that his family was being held up, which is where i was referring to. he SNUCK into the VPs office to get the serial #, nobody knew anyone was up there. youd have to be in the hallway outside the door to hear it. Why would any secret service ppl be up there if they knew the VP wasnt anywhere near it?
    Why wouldn't they be near it if he was in it? And for that matter wouldn't he be wearing a medical bracelet or something so that the Secret Service would be made aware of the fact he's dying? It's not very believable that Brody would be yelling downstairs the VP was dead or dying, when virtually every other story I've read involving terrorism or politics has pointed out that the president or VP has a bracelet indicating their health and location. They wouldn't need him to yell that down, they'd know as it happened.

its not dumb writing, its the character being an idiot, which she has proven to do time and time again. poor writing is if she starts doing backflips or shoots herself in the foot for no reason. are you a screenwriter? script writer? i think you are taking this a little far. look at the ratings, look at the critic's reviews... nobody with any credibility is taking the same stance you are on the "horrible writing" on this episode.
    Ah yes, the old "you're not a writer so you can't tell what good writing is". That golden line always comes out when someone doesn't have a leg to stand on. I know a poor movie when I see one, and I don't have to be a writer to point out when a plot line or story is poorly executed.

But you're right, nobody agrees with me. Except this guy. Money quotes:

I just finished watching the new episode of "Homeland" and boy, are my suspension-of-disbelief muscles tired.

Somehow, the world's-most-wanted terrorist, working alone but for the remote assistance of a hacker who specializes in medical devices, managed to crash his SUV into Carrie's car without injuring her or leaving any trace of his own vehicle. Because there couldn't be any easier way of kidnapping her. And only by kidnapping the woman Brody loves could Nazir force him to carry out a chore so preposterous that Diddy wouldn't have dared to propose it on Making the Band. (Meanwhile, when did Nazir find out that Brody loves Carrie? Is that what they discussed during their secret prayer session?)
    Yes, after failing to kill Vice President Walden on two previous occasions -- the first having been foiled when Brody chickened out and the second when Brody snitched to the CIA -- Nazir has decided to pursue the Plan Z of all Plan Z's: get Brody to steal the serial number to Walden's pacemaker so the aforementioned hacker can access the device and fatally fibrillate the old bastard. And how exactly does Nazir know that Walden keeps this information on a bookshelf next to the treadmill in his home office at the Naval Observatory? "The New York Times, believe it or not," the wily old terrorist says. The writers are just laughing at us now, aren't they? (Oh, my mistake: Nazir is actually crediting the Times with teaching him how to hack a pacemaker.)
    Yes, there was a lot to disbelieve in this episode of "Homeland." Why does Dar Udal, a man who is so secretive that his missions don't exist, he changes addresses every few weeks and he holds business meetings on the bus, eat waffles at the same diner every Tuesday? Why isn't the CIA tapping Brody's cell phone and instead leaving him free to conduct heart-to-heart FaceTime conversations with Abu Nazir? Why do Jess and Mike insist on making out by the light of the aquarium in the middle of the safe condo where Dana is liable to materialize at any moment like the Ghost of Christmas Past?
    So yeah, I'm not the only one who thinks that episode was ridiculous. But I'm sure you can just as easily find someone to disagree.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 12-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    I kind of feel Homeland is using Carrie's dumbness to be lazy like Breaking Bad uses Walt's smartness. I GET IT! She's ****ing crazy, but there that last scene is so ****ing ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Some posters like yourself don't understand how a single is better then a home run,
    #TWTW

vCash
    Yeah, the problem with something being unrealistic is that I sit there and start laughing. Sure, it's just a fictional show, but some of these are so stupid lately. It might not bother some, but it certainly bothers me. I'm not trying to be critical...it just happens.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    ppl ***** and whine about how shows are not realistic. if you want reality go watch the ****ing Kardashians.
    The Kardashians are not reality. I cannot believe that is where you would direct people towards who want to view reality. I consider this a failure of the education system and a microcosm of where society is right now.

vCash
    This season is not nearly as good as the first season, but is still entertaining, except when the ****ing daughter is on screen. OMG do I hate the rebellious teen who hate their parents character. They are always ****ing annoying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This season is not nearly as good as the first season, but is still entertaining, except when the ****ing daughter is on screen. OMG do I hate the rebellious teen who hate their parents character. They are always ****ing annoying.
    Yeah she is annoying, she has somehow found a way to be 10 times more annoying than the first season, which I thought at the time would be impossible to top. Boy was I wrong.

vCash
    the daughter has weird ****ing eyebrows...

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

vCash
    First of I like the show. but some of you are complete hypocrites! When I posted a post in the early days of season 2 about Lebanon being depicted the wrong way, most of you jumped on me and said it was TV and blah blah blah..

Now you are all blaming the show for not sticking with things that are real? and it's getting fictional?

Are F...serious? double standards?

When 24 was a hit show, no one complained of reality.. Homeland has changed strategy and is clearly targeting the masses the show is gaining momentum and will surely finish on a huge cliffhanger for season 2. I think there are some very interesting angles and I also think that Abou Nasir is a small pawn in the larger scheme of things.
    BEAT THE KNICKS

vCash

Homeland Season Two

Kind of lost interest half way through this season. Lost show time so I will watch it at another time when I have time to stream online. Haven't seen the last few episodes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whomewhome View Post
    First of I like the show. but some of you are complete hypocrites! When I posted a post in the early days of season 2 about Lebanon being depicted the wrong way, most of you jumped on me and said it was TV and blah blah blah..

Now you are all blaming the show for not sticking with things that are real? and it's getting fictional?

Are F...serious? double standards?

When 24 was a hit show, no one complained of reality.. Homeland has changed strategy and is clearly targeting the masses the show is gaining momentum and will surely finish on a huge cliffhanger for season 2. I think there are some very interesting angles and I also think that Abou Nasir is a small pawn in the larger scheme of things.
    Well, I don't know if I did that or not.

But the difference, for me at least, is that I have no idea what Lebanon looks like. I have read into how that street was so horribly inaccurately portrayed, but I wouldn't know. It took nothing away from the show for me. Portraying a street incorrectly is also a lot different than what people are now complaining about as well. That might bother me if I knew it, but it's completely different than, for example, Brody running around on his cell phone yelling "NAZIR!!!" at the top of his lungs. That's just stupid.

I think this show was designed to be different, and perhaps more intelligent and smart than 24. That's what I felt about season 1, but this season seems to have fallen into that trap, and really the only difference is that one show has an awesome ***-kicking protagonist, and the other has an emotionally crazy and dainty protagonist.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Well, I don't know if I did that or not.

But the difference, for me at least, is that I have no idea what Lebanon looks like. I have read into how that street was so horribly inaccurately portrayed, but I wouldn't know. It took nothing away from the show for me. Portraying a street incorrectly is also a lot different than what people are now complaining about as well. That might bother me if I knew it, but it's completely different than, for example, Brody running around on his cell phone yelling "NAZIR!!!" at the top of his lungs. That's just stupid.

I think this show was designed to be different, and perhaps more intelligent and smart than 24. That's what I felt about season 1, but this season seems to have fallen into that trap, and really the only difference is that one show has an awesome ***-kicking protagonist, and the other has an emotionally crazy and dainty protagonist.
    no not you at all you said pretty much what you are saying now.

I fail to understand how you call the show for the guy screaming Nazir Nazir, and yet not give it credits for the writing. Brody was overjoyed at the sight of killing the vice. That is something that was priceless and probably my favorite part of the season, I ignore all the other small stuff. (including Beirut and Lebanon being depicted the wrong way and I live HERE!!!)

However the show's biggest mistake was trying to make it real in season 1 it worked because very few details were needed now the show is going deeper in season 2 and beyond the lack of research is evident. They should have just left it as 24 with fake countries, fake agencies etc...
    BEAT THE KNICKS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whomewhome View Post
    no not you at all you said pretty much what you are saying now.

I fail to understand how you call the show for the guy screaming Nazir Nazir, and yet not give it credits for the writing. Brody was overjoyed at the sight of killing the vice. That is something that was priceless and probably my favorite part of the season, I ignore all the other small stuff. (including Beirut and Lebanon being depicted the wrong way and I live HERE!!!)

However the show's biggest mistake was trying to make it real in season 1 it worked because very few details were needed now the show is going deeper in season 2 and beyond the lack of research is evident. They should have just left it as 24 with fake countries, fake agencies etc...
    Oh, I give a ton of credit to the show for writing. Writing, dialog and acting are what, among other things, set the show apart from many others. The characters and the dialog are the show's biggest strength.

And the "NAZIR NAZIR" I'm referring to is mainly when he was with his family wherever that building was that they were staying at for protection. You know, surrounded by government agents and people who probably would be suspicious with a guy leaving a room nervously and screaming the foremost terrorists name on the phone. That said, this is just a minor quip in what is becoming a slew of unsettling and questionable things. Maybe someone heard him, and that's why they made it so blatantly stupid. Who knows? Could be a plot point

I guess the complaints are coming from things we can relate to. If I were to put myself in these people's shoes, as most inherently do when watching shows like this, some of the things they are doing just seem so implausible that it seems uncomfortable and often humorous (in a bad way) when you're watching. Unrealistic in that sense is different than the unrealistic misrepresentation of Beirut. I'm not saying it's OK that they butchered Hamra Street, but I'm saying that's not what I'm worried about when I'm watching. When watching the show you start to think like the characters and sympathize with them. When they start doing things that seem so ridiculously absurd, well, that's when it starts to bother me.

All I'm saying is that there's a difference between the unrealistic nature of a specific setting and the unrealistic behaviors of lead characters.

I still enjoy the show, and I realize there was really no way it could have lived up to Season 1, because so much of the greatness in season 1 was predicated on the uncertainty of Brody. However, I still have enjoyed Season 2, I've just knocked it down from "absolutely amazing show" to good, enjoyable and entertaining".
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    Yep... those FBI sweep teams totally would have missed that space where Nazir was. Especially after they went in twice.

SF Giants, SF 49ers, Sac Kings since birth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pointer View Post
    Yep... those FBI sweep teams totally would have missed that space where Nazir was. Especially after they went in twice.
    without a dog, i wouldnt be surprised.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast