Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Show

vCash

The Daily Show

What a precipitous fall this show has exhibited lately. I'm not sure when the downslope began because I'm not a regular viewer, but every episode I've seen this calendar year has been bad. The lead segment used to be quick and clever and now it plods along, usually with a single story, and ends with Stewart giggling to himself while his correspondents come on and make the same joke again - usually while they stereotype themselves as whatever race they are for the sake of irony (I guess?).

The correspondents are at an all-time low. Jessica Williams is just awful, a true one-trick pony whose sole trick isn't even funny (usually based around being young and/or black and/or female). Jason Jones and Samantha Bee can provide decent material occasionally, but even they're more hit-or-miss. I generally skip this part of the show entirely now.

And the guests. Is there anyone worse in the business at interviewing than Jon Stewart? I understand he's got his own social agenda that he wants to juxtapose with the guests but it seems like half the time we're listening to him preach and the other half of the time he's making unfunny jokes about how stupid/uneducated/old he is. I don't even watch when he interviews celebs because they don't have anything worthwhile to say, but I'm sure those are equally horrible.

It seems like Stewart is beginning to suffer from taking himself too seriously. Additionally, the writing quality on his show as at an all-time low and the onus should be on him to recognize that and clean house. Instead we're stuck with mediocrity, since there's really no way Viacom is ever going to cancel his show. They barely work half the year anyway and Viacom is allowing him to take a summer off to direct a movie that's probably going to be crappy.

So there's how I feel. I wouldn't bother if I thought the endeavor is hopeless, it's just sad seeing a once clever show devolve into hack comedy and mediocrity. Does anyone share my view?

vCash
    Watch the Colbert Report.

vCash
    Conservatives generally dont like the show

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I do, it's a great show. That's not what the thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Conservatives generally dont like the show
    I'm not conservative.

vCash
    I think most of the stuff they do that doesn't revolve around the correspondents is pretty funny. The only correspondents I find funny are John Oliver and Jessica Williams and Samantha Bee is extremely hit or miss. If they got some better correspondents, I think the show would be pretty funny since most of Jon Stewart's jokes are pretty funny.

vCash
    Aasif and John Oliver are pretty damn funny. The rest of the correspondents aren't that strong. I haven't watched The Daily Show as much as I used too but it's not as bad as you make it sound.

But yes, Colbert has had the better show pretty much since the moment he left The Daily SHow.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Watch it regularly, enjoy it virtually every time.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    And you feel it's just as good now as it was even 2 years ago? I don't think anyone can argue it's as good now as it was in 04-06.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    This.

I'll agree that as far as the correspondents go it's John Oliver and then it's everybody else. But I don't find any of them to be as terribly unfunny as you're making them out to be.

Also, I just really enjoy Jon Stewart in general. I think he's phenomenally talented at explaining complicated aspects of politics in simple terms, and even more so with deconstructing poor arguments made by incompetent politicians who use advanced rhetoric to make it appear as though they know what they're talking about.

This is the first I'm hearing that there'll be no Daily Show all summer. That genuinely saddens me.
    Last edited by turnaround3; 04-20-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Never cared for Jon Stewart, as an actor & political satire guy.

He's successful though, and would puff a blunt w/ me, so he's cool in my book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    This.

I'll agree that as far as the correspondents go it's John Oliver and then it's everybody else. But I don't find any of them to be as terribly unfunny as you're making them out to be.

Also, I just really enjoy Jon Stewart in general. I think he's phenomenally talented at explaining complicated aspects of politics in simple terms, and even more so with deconstructing poor arguments made by incompetent politicians who use advanced rhetoric to make it appear as though they know what they're talking about.

This is the first I'm hearing that there'll be no Daily Show all summer. That genuinely saddens me.
    I heard John Oliver is taking over while hes gone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Yep.

vCash
    Yes I understand you people like it. So do (did) I, and that's why I bothered making a huge post about it. To me there has been a steep decline, and almost assuredly there has been writer turnover in the last 2 years. It's just not what it used to be. I'm not the kind of person to make a giant post about a show I think is worthless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    It replaced the Daily Show for me I watch every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Aasif and John Oliver are pretty damn funny. The rest of the correspondents aren't that strong. I haven't watched The Daily Show as much as I used too but it's not as bad as you make it sound.

But yes, Colbert has had the better show pretty much since the moment he left The Daily SHow.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    This.

John Oliver is the only good one on the show IMO

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    I heard John Oliver is taking over while hes gone
    May have to start watching more again.

vCash
    I still prefer the Daily Show to Colbert, and I don't feel it has dropped off either. I enjoy it night in and night out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast