Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What would you like the 2013 White Sox to do?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rebuild

20 42.55%
  • Go for it

27 57.45%
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    You obviously can't read, Chitown Sparty asked what is he going to do with 100 million because he doesnt carry any cash on him....he doesn't need the money, and he deserves it based on his past performance and future projections, so why would he not want to get the most money possible? He has earned that luxury.

A 3-year contract most likely wont get him to move to another team, that is why i have said numerous times i would offer him a 5/110 contract as a max offer. If you want to disagree, that's fine, but there arent too many players of his ability that become free agents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    You obviously can't read, Chitown Sparty asked what is he going to do with 100 million because he doesnt carry any cash on him....he doesn't need the money, and he deserves it based on his past performance and future projections, so why would he not want to get the most money possible? He has earned that luxury.

A 3-year contract most likely wont get him to move to another team, that is why i have said numerous times i would offer him a 5/110 contract as a max offer. If you want to disagree, that's fine, but there arent too many players of his ability that become free agents.
    First of all relax with "you can't read" nonsense. I know what he posted but I wasnt responding to his post, I was responding to your post.

Why do you think Hamilton is still a free agent!? Because nobody is willing to give him the years he wants because teams are afraid of his past drug use, relapse, injury history, age and his possible decline.

If the Rangers didnt have any reservations about him, they would have signed him to an extension a long time ago.

vCash
    I do think Hamilton will eventually get a contract in the 3-5 year range for roughly 18-22 mil annually.

However, I see no way possible JR decides to dish out that kind of money and add 20 million to our payroll while still leaving holes at 3B and catcher. Attendance has decreased every year since 06, and we averaged a pathetic 24k fans per game this year. There is no way Jerry is going to allow us to add 20 million to the payroll on 1 guy who plays a position that isn't even of dire need right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Sparty View Post
    What is Hamilton going to do with all the money he gets in this FA contract? I mean, he still doesn't carry any cash on him, as he will relapse...so what's he need 100 million plus for?

Giving 31 year old outfielders 5+ year contracts with 100+ million guaranteed = bad idea
    Giving recovering drug addicts 5+ year contracts with 100+ million guaranteed = bad idea
    Giving 31 year old recovering drug addicts 5/100...yeah, lets do that, great idea for a franchise that doesn't draw fans and has payroll issues.
    I don't see the relevance of this. What does it matter what these athletes do with their money? Most of them do more good with it in regards to the community than bad. Nobody needs that much money, but it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to try and get it when in FA.

Many players on the wrong side of 30 still get decent sized contracts. Not always 100 million, but still annual salaries that are in the 12-20 million range. Phillies gave a 32 year old cliff Lee 5/120, then there are the pujols and arods of the league who get 10 year deals at 32. Hell, 37 year old Torii Hunter just got 2/24.

It's a bad idea to give any athlete 100+ million, but that's what the market is. Most players in the NBA and NFL are ones where its probably not a good idea for them to have that much money, but it doesn't stop teams from signing them.

vCash
    ^^^ 100% agree, they can spend their money on whatever they want, and hamilton has already made $20+ million as a Ranger.

As for why he is a free agent still, maybe because it is only Nov 29th. We can just wait and see what his contract ends up being when he signs with whatever team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post

And once again, in his case there's a very good reason why he did reach FA. And that reason centers around a very specific risk in his case and is not very conducive to any future employer taking a chance on a big contract with him. Someone probably will panic and offer up the money, but there's a high likelihood they'll come to regret it.

vCash
    Off season threads make my head hurt.

vCash
    Orioles appear willing to dish out 100+ to Hamilton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Orioles appear willing to dish out 100+ to Hamilton.
    That was my guess all along as to who'd pony up the cash - they seemed like they were ready to something drastic after last year. Either them or Washington. The Nats seem to enjoy giving crazy contracts to OF'ers. They'd have to shuffle some people around but, if I remember correctly, LF has been a big bag of meh for them.

vCash
    Looks like the Soxs are interested in Mike Adams along with the Angels, Rangers and Red Soxs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheCell View Post
    That was my guess all along as to who'd pony up the cash - they seemed like they were ready to something drastic after last year. Either them or Washington. The Nats seem to enjoy giving crazy contracts to OF'ers. They'd have to shuffle some people around but, if I remember correctly, LF has been a big bag of meh for them.
    I think the O's would be better off using that money for Greinke or another starter. Their lineup would be sick with Hamilton in the middle, but hitting isn't their problem. If they do land Hamilton though (or Greinke), the AL East is going to be probably the tightest top to bottom that it ever has been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BushLeague View Post
    Off season threads make my head hurt.
    Wait until the winter meetings start next week.

vCash
    White Sox Killer Denard Span, HE GONE!!!

Traded to the Nats for Alex Meyer a 6'9" pitching prospect.

vCash
    Denard Span and Alejandro De Aza are the exact same player if you ask me. Stats are similar and both play a good defensive CF. Do you think the Sox could offer ADA in a deal?

vCash
    DeAza was one of the four players mentioned last month that the sox might look to move in a trade. It'd be interesting to see what they could get for him and who would bat leadoff.

I dont think DeAza would get as much as Span did though. They had identical years last year, but Span has a much longer sample size.

However, with Span now gone, the Reds might be very interested in DeAza and overpay for him. The other leadoff candidates are much more expensive in terms of years/dollars.
    Last edited by soxguy1; 11-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast