Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What would you like the 2013 White Sox to do?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rebuild

20 42.55%
  • Go for it

27 57.45%
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ichitownclowni View Post
    Williams says that reliever Brett Myers could start for the White Sox in 2013, writes Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com. The White Sox hold a $10MM option on Myers for next season that they can buy out for $3MM

Oh god

Son of a gun is going to offer to split the difference if Myers agrees to be a starter.

vCash
    Peavy - I don't fault some of his losses for lack of run support. But a $22M option is not happening. IF he could do 2 yrs $20M, I'll bring him back. Otherwise, let him move on to greener pastures.

Floyd - How many years have we had this guy. He is the Jekyll/Hyde in all of baseball. When he's on, potential ace or #2 starter, but when not he is your worst nightmare on the mound. He lacks consistency in his command and once he gets lit up his mentality is broken. He's been 6 years already. And aside from his 17 win season in 2008, he's finished at or under .500 each year since with an ERA over 4.00. That just ain't gonna cut it. Cheap contract to move. Change of scenery will do him good.

Gordon Beckham - BECKHAM. The guy is a COLOSSAL BUST. He is the Sox version of Corey Patterson. You keep giving him chances and hope he taps his potential, but after a fluke rookie season, the Sox need to move on from him.

Matt Thornton - The Thornton train also made its final stop. He is a shadow of is former self. His worst year ever with the Sox. Thanks for the memories Matt.

vCash
    hooray irrational Thornton hate. Yeah, his worst year ever...he still posted a sub 3.5 ERA despite being put in the most difficult situations because he was the only dependable tested arm in the bullpen for the majority of the season. He is still better than 85-90% of lefty relievers in the game, and given his contract it is unlikely that he gets moved in the offseason, which is fine. Hold on to him, let hm continue to pitch, and move him at the deadline when teams over pay for pitching help.
    White Sox, Bears, Blackhawks, Spartans
    Go Green! Go White!

If Pro is the opposite of Con, what is the opposite of Progress?

vCash
    I am really interested in this offseason. Almost as much as 2 years ago when they went on a spending spree. Here is what I'm thinking they will do.

1. Unless AJ wants a ridiculous amount of money, then JR will make sure he comes back.

2. KW and RH will make Youk and Peavy offers that they think are fair just as they did with Buehrle last year.

One question I do have is can they offer Peavy the qualifying offer after they decline his option? Then they will get a pick from him or get him on a one year $13M deal if he signs it. They could also try to work out a long term deal in the meantime.

3. Brett Myers will have to restructure his $10M option if he wants to stay with the team.

4. They need to make a decision on Alex Rios if they want to try and move him when he has some value.

I wonder what JR will set the cap at? I think somewhere between $110-115M.

vCash
    Right now the team has this money tied up for 2013.

Dunn- $15M
    Konerko- $13.5M
    Rios- $13M
    Danks- $15.75M
    Ramirez- $7M
    Thornton- $5.5M
    Crain- $4.5M

Options:
    Peavy- $22M w/ $4M buyout
    Youkilis- $13M w/ $2M buyout (basically paid for by Red Sox)
    Floyd- $9.5M w/ unknown buyout
    Myers- $10M w/ $3M buyout (basically paid for by Astros)

Arbitration Eligible: What I think they will make.
    Beckham (1st time)- $1.7M
    Humber (1st time)- $1.5 or will be non-tendered
    De Aza (1st time)- $2.3M

Others who will get little raises: Money made in 2012 (My guess what they will make in 2013)
    Viciedo- $3.25M ($3.5M)
    Sale- $500K ($550K)
    Flowers- $483K ($500K)
    Jones- $480K ($500K)
    Santiago- $480K ($500K)
    Reed- $480 ($500K)

Free Agents:
    AJ Pierzynski
    Orlando Hudson

That is 20 players and what the Sox are working with. The 16 players that are under contract for a total of $85.75. So that would be $30M left for 9 players if JR is willing to go to $115M.

You could try and trade guys like Rios, Dunn and Thornton to clear some more space, but then you create more holes. I personally think that the Sox need to go for it one more time next year then see what happens after that.

vCash
    While I am not a Thornton hater....I am concerned that he had 10 losses in a key role from the pen.

Dan Johnson interests me too....... could he make Dunn expendable?

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    imo Sox should really try and move Rios and Dunn when their values are high right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    While I am not a Thornton hater....I am concerned that he had 10 losses in a key role from the pen.

Dan Johnson interests me too....... could he make Dunn expendable?

Johnson was signed as a free agent. Unless signed to a multi-year contract at that time he's automatically one again at the end of the year. He likely goes to someplace like the Yankees who lose Swisher.

vCash
    im not to worried about what happens with Dan Johnson. I wouldnt mind him back since he has played some third and left field in his career. I think he gives good at bats while coming off the bench and thats not easy to find.

Floyd will probably be traded for spects. I also have a feeling that santiago will be traded as well. the sox have 3 lefty starters and they might get something decent for him.

This is what i think the team will look like next year (not saying this is what i want per se, just a prediction;

1B-Konerko - might be his last year
    2b-Beckham - he'll probably get one more chance and his defense his good
    3rd-Youk - There are no other options in FA or minors. He seemed to like it here - 2 yr
    deal
    SS- alexi - hope for more offense
    C - Flowers - i just have a feeling that AJ will get a ridiculous contract offer
    OF - Viciedo, DeAza, Rios
    DH- Dunn

Bench

Kelly Shoppach - they'll want a vet and he is a good defensive catcher
    Jose Lopez - plays several positions
    Jordan danks - plays all outfield positions well and adds speed
    Dan Johnson - left handed power off bench

Starters
    Sale
    Danks
    Quintana
    Nate Jones
    Shaun Marcum

Bullpen
    Reed - closer
    Crain
    Thorton
    Veal
    Myers
    Brian Omogrosso
    Jhan Marinez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeyAce View Post
    imo Sox should really try and move Rios and Dunn when their values are high right now
    I agree with this. Sox need to rebuild, instead of perpetuating mediocrity.

AJ was good this year, but I fully expect him to be the real AJ again next season. In his prior 5 seasons to 2012, his slash line was .280/.315/.408/.723. That's decent for a catcher, but in very limited playing time, Flowers hit .213/.296/.417/.708. Flowers with inconsistent playing time was every bit as good with the bat as AJ was when playing on a regular basis. Rewarding a 35 catcher coming off of a career year with a big contract is really, really stupid. Not to mention AJ's defense is disgraceful. I think Flowers should be the everyday catcher next season. If he isn't and AJ is, I think the White Sox will be worse because of it. The combination of Jeff Manto and AJ's discipline is a nightmare.

I'M A MONSTER!!!!!!

vCash
    ^^^ completely agree. Except that on a team that strikes out alot, A.J. was difficult to strikeout while Flowers adds another guy in the everyday lineup that K's alot. Just playing devils advocate.
    Last edited by soxguy1; 10-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

vCash
    So I was looking around the forums on PSD and came across a guy who referenced site to get early projections for player signings. Here is who MLB unique projected the White Sox to sign....

Jake Peavy - Chicago White Sox (4 years, $56 M)
    A.J. Pierzynski - Chicago White Sox (2 years, $16 M)
    Brett Myers - Chicago White Sox (2 years, $ 9.5 M)

Other Sox notables....

Kevin Youkilis - Cincinnati Reds (1 year, $6.5 M)
    Francisco Liriano - Chicago Cubs (1 year, $6.5 M)
    Gavin Floyd - Boston Red Sox (3 years, $25.5 M)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsBullsCHWS View Post
    I agree with this. Sox need to rebuild, instead of perpetuating mediocrity. AJ was good this year, but I fully expect him to be the real AJ again next season. In his prior 5 seasons to 2012, his slash line was .280/.315/.408/.723. That's decent for a catcher, but in very limited playing time, Flowers hit .213/.296/.417/.708. Flowers with inconsistent playing time was every bit as good with the bat as AJ was when playing on a regular basis. Rewarding a 35 catcher coming off of a career year with a big contract is really, really stupid. Not to mention AJ's defense is disgraceful. I think Flowers should be the everyday catcher next season. If he isn't and AJ is, I think the White Sox will be worse because of it. The combination of Jeff Manto and AJ's discipline is a nightmare.
    I'm on board with the rebuilding. I know it's not popular, but I don't wanna be just good enough to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division for the next 3 years. If they're gonna do it, go all in on the rebuild though, don't half rebuild. I just think the front office is hesitant to do a total rebuild because they know the park will be empty all summer. (Even more empty then this year)

vCash
    better for me. the cheaper yhe ticket the better

vCash
    So who do you guys got tonight? Tigers or A's?

Dumb and dumber

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast