Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the best SF ever!

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larry Bird

121 63.68%
  • LBJ

55 28.95%
  • Dr. J

6 3.16%
  • The Human Highlight Film

0 0%
  • Scottie Pippen

3 1.58%
  • Alex English

0 0%
  • James Worthy

0 0%
  • John Havlicek (very underated player)

0 0%
  • Elgin Baylor (best rebounder on the list)

2 1.05%
  • Rick Barry

3 1.58%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This isn't a debate yet. Bird.

vCash
    LeBron getting votes

vCash
    Larry Bird who I consider the 2nd best player I eve saw play after MJ.

Then Lebron. All the rest are a ways below. I never saw Baylor play.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Larry Bird who I consider the 2nd best player I eve saw play after MJ.

Then Lebron. All the rest are a ways below. I never saw Baylor play.
    Magic and Kobe have both had better careers than Bird but I'm trolling bringing that up in here.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I'm curious to see what the folks who voted for Baylor, Pippen and Barry have to say.

Baylor could flat out score. He is perhaps the best scorer on this list (though obviously there were more possesions back then) and he is also likely the best rebounder on this list (and even though there were more possessions back then, his rebounding numbers are still head-and-shoulders above anybody on this list).

And when it comes to Haveleck and Dr. J., I agree with those who are in the camp that they can be considers SG just as easily as SF, but as most people seem to rank them as SF I put them on the list. I mean, really, is there that much of a difference between a SF and a SG? The SG has more iin common with the SF than the PG, and the SF has more in commone with the SG than he does with the PF. They are wing players. When Jordan came back to play for Washington he moved to SF, and was there really that big a difference in the role he and Pippen played on Chicago? They both brought the ball. Jordan's game was influenced by Dr. J, and lets face it, lots of teams will play two SF or two SG at the same time. McGrady and Carter could both play both positions confortably. I think anybody who knows the game can recognize the similarities between the two positions. Putting a hard definition on the SF or SG position is more for casual fans to understand where guys are supposed to be on the court.

That said... I voted for LBJ on the assumption that he's going to continue to play at this level until he's at least 32. But I would not argue with somebody who picked Bird or Baylor. I do scratch my head at people who pick Dr. J though (in part because I think his ABA numbers are WAT inflated because he put them up in an inferior league).

And Chronz, I don't think it was that Bird didn't take care of his body, I think it was just that his body gave out on him. We see health problems in guys like Yao Ming and say: of course, the human body isn't supposed to be that big; but with a guy like Bird, his body is still a LOT bigger than the typical body and he's playing professional basketball for years... it's going to wear you down. Some people's body are more athletic and can handle it, but we've seen time and time again that guys who haven't even been in the league that long (Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Greg Oden, Ralph Sampson) face severe injuries and has their careers put on hold for a long time or are completely cut off. It is a mircale we don't see more cases like the Baron Davis knee-blow-out this season, or D-Rose's injury. These guys are all playing on borrowed time. Bird's back just caught up with him. I don't think it was a conditioning thing. Anyways... that's a big side note.

I seriously want to hear from the guys who voted for Baylor though.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Where the **** is Corey Maggette on this list?

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    lol @ dr j.

Larry than Bron, altho i voted for Bron.

LETS GO HEAT

vCash
    I'm not mad at anyone who chooses Bird but people sayiong there is no argument are off their rockers.

LeBron has played 9 seasons, and Bird has played 13. LeBron has 2 less finals appearances, 2 less titles and an equal number of MVP's.

Defensively LeBron is a no contest against Bird. As a playmaker it's close and LeBron is actually averaging more APG on a career basis. Bird was an incredible scorer and shooter but he had nowhere close to the athleticism or strength LBJ has.

LeBron's top 5 PER's: 28.1, 29.1, 30.7, 31.1, 31.7 (led league 5x in stat.)
    Bird's top 5 PER's. 24.2, 25.6, 26.4, 26.5, 27.8 (lead league 2x in stat.)

(As a side note LeBrons 30.3 PER over this past post season and inhuman 37.4 in 08-09 absolutely smoke Birds post season highs of 23.9 and 26.3)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    This isn't a debate yet. Bird.
    Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by drose View Post
    LeBron getting votes
    You're being ignorant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
    Disagree

You're being ignorant.
    You actually think that Lebron's career is already better than Birds??? You do realize that most experts have bird at least top 7 of all time. So basically you are saying that Lebron is already a top 6 player of all time in your eyes.

See I told you guys that there were guys out there who actually believe this. And you say the Laker/Kobe fans are bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    This is the funniest thing I've read in weeks.....I'm not even joking.
    Lol but Hollinger said it!!

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    You actually think that Lebron's career is already better than Birds??? You do realize that most experts have bird at least top 7 of all time. So basically you are saying that Lebron is already a top 6 player of all time in your eyes.

See I told you guys that there were guys out there who actually believe this. And you say the Laker/Kobe fans are bad.
    Your not giving any justification of why not. You're just pointing your finger and saying no that's wrong...

vCash
    Put Larry Bird on those Cavs teams in his prime and he wouldn't have carried them like Lebron did...
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2urung3.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    If Scottie Pippen were to have a team of his own, I feel he'd definitely be in the talks for best SF of all time. The only reason he's not in the talks now is because he was playing in the shadow of the greatest player of all time.

Depending on whether or not LeBron gets a few more rings to his name, I say he has a good chance in being better than Larry Bird.
    Pippen isn't that kind a player. He's best suited as a sidekick. As the man, Pip is going to come up short. He's always been more comfortable playing the sidekick role. He's also never been a ISO type player that could break his man down. He's more of a facilitator and far more comfortable playing the "Robin" role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AP=MVP View Post
    The LeBron super-team **** is such a joke. Bird had a top-3 all-time PF, a top-10 or 15 center, and one of the top defensive guards of all-time. Cleveland was not getting him help so he had to go somewhere else and why would you not want to play with 2 of your best friends in South Beach.

Lets look at all the top players in NBA history and their supporting cast.
    Bird - Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, Bill Walton
    Magic - Kareem, James Worthy, Bob McAdoo
    Wilt - Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich
    Dr. J- Moses Malone, Bob McAdoo, Charles Barkley
    Kobe- Shaq, Pau Gasol, Karl Malone, Gary Payton
    Jordan - Pippen, Rodman
    Lebron - Wade, Bosh

Face it, the top players always have greatness around then too.
    Few have McHale cracking the top 7 PF's.

Parish was a top 15 Center, but Jabbar at him for breakfast. Parish couldn't hack Moses either, or Hakeem, or Robinson. Jeez.... that's not good.

DJ? Oh please, DJ was a very fine player - but do get some tape of him against Magic and Jordan - not so good.

Also Walton was a total retread, and had one pretty good year for the Celts.

Using rosters is a bit biased to 80's teams. There are 3 Celt, 4 Laker, 2 Piston, and 1 76'er team that might be able to claim they had the deepest teams of all time.

BTW, when did McAdoo play with Dr. J? Bobby Jones, Mo Cheeks are more like it.

Why are you listing McAdoo with Magic? He was never one of the top 3 Lakers in that time.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast