Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who is the best SF ever!

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larry Bird

    121 63.68%
  • LBJ

    55 28.95%
  • Dr. J

    6 3.16%
  • The Human Highlight Film

    0 0%
  • Scottie Pippen

    3 1.58%
  • Alex English

    0 0%
  • James Worthy

    0 0%
  • John Havlicek (very underated player)

    0 0%
  • Elgin Baylor (best rebounder on the list)

    2 1.05%
  • Rick Barry

    3 1.58%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 182
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21,329
    vCash
    2500
    Is there a doctor in the house?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,035
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I don't even know if he needs more then a single title, his numbers, and defense are already better. Another MVP and title would secure it imo.
    For sure his defense is better, but his overall numbers aren't that much better for me to give him a significant edge. Bird also didn't join a super team to win his titles. Bird in his prime was a statistical monster...I honestly don't know if Lebron had a better year that this:


    30 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 6.1 APG, 53% FG, 40% 3PT, 92% FT

    .608 TS%, .556 eFG%, .243 WS/48

    If Lebron won his title on a conventional "non superteam" I might agree with you. But since he decided to team up with Wade and Bosh I have to handicap him a bit...thats why I said 2 more titles and 1 MVP or 3 titles and no more MPV's.

    You also have to take competition into account. Lebron didn't have to face any great rival in the finals yet nor has he had an opponent as great as the showtime Lakers or even the the 81 Sixers for that matter. The 80's were far more competitive than the current era and therefore the degree of difficulty in winning a title must be taken into account. The 2012 playoff match ups that the Heat went through to win their title would have been a cake walk for most of Birds Celtic teams in the 80's. In addition, Bird didn't have teammates as good as Wade and Bosh. Therefore Lebron's one title isn't worth as much as one of Larry's.

    I give Lebron credit for being the slightly better individual talent statistically and defensively and have weighed that into my assessment that he would need either 2 more titles and 1 MVP or 3 titles and no more MVP's.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,891
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    If Lebron won his title on a conventional "non superteam" I might agree with you. But since he decided to team up with Wade and Bosh I have to handicap him a bit...thats why I said 2 more titles and 1 MVP or 3 titles and no more MPV's.
    And therein lies my problem with Kobe, Bird, Magic, or Duncan fans screaming loyalty.

    Riddle me this. If LeBron came into the league and his GM got him comparable talent to the following, would he have left?:

    Dennis Johnson
    Danny Ainge
    Cedric Maxwell
    Robert Parish
    Kevin McHale
    Bill Walton

    I also want to ask Laker fans this, who make your ridiculous claim. Are you ready for all the **** you will get when you win or lose with a top 3, 5, 20, 20 player this season? Because you were more than willing to whine about it the other way around. Apparently being drafted into a perfect situation makes it okay, versus SEEKING a great situation.

    Hypocricy at its finest.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,035
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    And therein lies my problem with Kobe, Bird, Magic, or Duncan fans screaming loyalty.

    Riddle me this. If LeBron came into the league and his GM got him comparable talent to the following, would he have left?:

    Dennis Johnson
    Danny Ainge
    Cedric Maxwell
    Robert Parish
    Kevin McHale
    Bill Walton

    I also want to ask Laker fans this, who make your ridiculous claim. Are you ready for all the **** you will get when you win or lose with a top 3, 5, 20, 20 player this season? Because you were more than willing to whine about it the other way around. Apparently being drafted into a perfect situation makes it okay, versus SEEKING a great situation.

    Hypocricy at its finest.
    Strawman argument...I thought we were debating Bird and Lebron, not Kobe and Lebron.

    But I will answer your question.

    It depends on how the Lakers might lose. Remember, if they make it to the finals and lose to Miami in a 7 game hard fought series with out HCA it won't be such a failure as Miami has gotten even stronger than last year and it's much easier for them to secure HCA in the east than it is for the Lakers in the west. If the Lakers lose to OKC in the WCF or to Miami in 5 or less, due to Kobe shooting them out of the series or some other blunder, than it is a failure for sure.

    Remember, Lebron didn't have to go to Miami to form a "superteam"...he could have easily gone to Chicago or NY and he still would have been on a good team. It was his choice to go for overkill and therefore we have to account for that degree of difficulty or lack there of when assessing his legacy and comparing him to other greats.

    And in answer to your question, no he probably would not have left and if he still did then it would be a supreme failure.

    Remember, its the greatness of ones opponents that makes one truly great.
    Last edited by amos1er; 09-28-2012 at 02:45 AM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,011
    vCash
    1500
    Ofcourse Larry Bird for now but barring any injury it'll be LeBron James without a doubt in a few years. LeBron's defensive impact has already provided him with an edge over Bird.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    1500
    LBJ isn't right now, someday maybe.

    My main problem with this discussion is the position it self, most other potions are defined, there were several great centers the best is probably Kareem, though Russel was probably the best Defensive center and there are other guys deserving of consideration, with shooting gaurds it's the same thing, it goes MJ, Kobe, everyone else.

    The problem with the 3 is that it is such a multidimensional position. You have guys like Durrant who is a straight up shooter, and guys like melo and lbj that are slashers, some like Ron Artest will get their points by banging bodies. When you ask who is the greatest small forward, you really have to break it down into other parts of the game. Then you have guys like Roddman, who wasn't a scorer as much, but was maybe the greatest rebounding forward of all time, and was tenacious on defense. Which got him to the hall of fame.

    So when you ask who is the greatest 3 of all time you should ask who was the best at the different styles of the position

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,242
    vCash
    1800
    First of all who cares how they ended up on their respective teams, the greats are almost always on stacked teams. For you to claim Lebron is less of a player because he left via free agency instead of being handed a great team off the bat is a little ridiculous. You can dislike him for this, but dont discredit his game because the talent around him isnt better than what Bird had. Also you say take context of the talent he played against but fail to mention this amazing support he had was injured for part of the playoffs and he stepped up big time.

    Also I think agree that Bird has had the best regular season between the two, at least numbers wise. Lebron however has had the best overall season between the two IMO.

    27.1 pts 7.9 rbs 6.2 ast .605 ts% 30.7 PER .298 WS/48
    Playoffs
    30.3 pts 9.7 rbs 5.6 ast .576 ts% 30.3 PER .284 WS/48

    Along with this he had elite defense and won MVP and Finals MVP.

    Overall I think he still has a ways to go before passing Larry but I think he is showing he can be just as dominant in his peak. The question is can he maintain/improve from last year.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,932
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Strawman argument...I thought we were debating Bird and Lebron, not Kobe and Lebron.

    But I will answer your question.

    It depends on how the Lakers might lose. Remember, if they make it to the finals and lose to Miami in a 7 game hard fought series with out HCA it won't be such a failure as Miami has gotten even stronger than last year and it's much easier for them to secure HCA in the east than it is for the Lakers in the west. If the Lakers lose to OKC in the WCF or to Miami in 5 or less, due to Kobe shooting them out of the series or some other blunder, than it is a failure for sure.

    Remember, Lebron didn't have to go to Miami to form a "superteam"...he could have easily gone to Chicago or NY and he still would have been on a good team. It was his choice to go for overkill and therefore we have to account for that degree of difficulty or lack there of when assessing his legacy and comparing him to other greats.

    And in answer to your question, no he probably would not have left and if he still did then it would be a supreme failure.

    Remember, its the greatness of ones opponents that makes one truly great.
    OKC is super team, look at who they have! If this team came together through free agency we would call it a super team. They are pretty good.

    Also, had he gone to Chi and wade wanted to come home and went with him, wouldn't that be just as much of a super team? If he had gone to the knicks with Stoudomire and someone else wouldn't that be a super team?

    How is this title tainted? Is it his fault that he couldn't get anyone to come to Cleveland? or that after coming into the league he made his team so much better that they didn't have high enough draft picks to get the premier talent at the top of the draft? Whats the difference between a GM building a super team through the draft and trades like in Seattle/OKC or the players doing it themselves?

    BTW i don't like LBJ i am not a heat fan, i am just saying.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Linden NJ
    Posts
    20,855
    vCash
    1307
    Old *** list but I think Bron will be the best but not yet
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,256
    vCash
    1500
    This is definately a racial thing. Lebron vs bird is a joke. Lebron would embarrass the guy in the court.
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    33,406
    vCash
    1000
    Lebron never won as Da Man. He had a 33 year old Ben Wallace and failed... enough said. So he can't possibly be first right?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,891
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Strawman argument...I thought we were debating Bird and Lebron, not Kobe and Lebron.
    I didn't care if you answered my question, it was actually a statement for you, and the rest of the complete Kobe/Laker homers.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    classified
    Posts
    11,673
    vCash
    1500
    Larry Bird
    Dominique Wilkins
    Elgin Baylor
    Rick Barry (not really a SF though)
    Scottie Pippen
    Julius Erving (not really a SF though)
    John Havlicek (not really a SF though)
    the rest

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    8,143
    vCash
    4000
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSource View Post
    If Scottie Pippen were to have a team of his own, I feel he'd definitely be in the talks for best SF of all time. The only reason he's not in the talks now is because he was playing in the shadow of the greatest player of all time.

    Depending on whether or not LeBron gets a few more rings to his name, I say he has a good chance in being better than Larry Bird.
    Pippin wouldn't have ever become as good as he was without playing/practicing with Jordan though either.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,914
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    This is definately a racial thing. Lebron vs bird is a joke. Lebron would embarrass the guy in the court.
    You can only compare guys against the guys they played against. Everything else is conjecture.

    What is not conjecture is that Bird rose to the challenge - by the likes of Magic, Erving, Jordan, etc. and didn't fold and crap his pants like LBJ has in 3 of the last 5 years in the playoffs. Bird in 1980-1987 played at a level LBJ has not as of yet played at.

    It's nice to be an athletic freak, it's better to be a better shooter, passer, and leader.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •