Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    ^ Very nice spin move he added. Im really impressed. I can't remeber the last time i've seen him move like that. The big guy could be a nice addition if he can keep it up.

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Curry's fine on offense, but isn't the Spurs need for a big stem from their need for defense and rebounding? He's not going to bring that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Definitely need some sort of defensive presence which Curry isn't known for. But as a big body he could at least "clog the paint" and make it tougher for guys to drive in or at least think 2x. Can't be any worse than having Blair/Bonner in the middle who do nothing but try and take charges all the time.

His rebounding I think can be improved cause a lot of it is positional and boxing out. Simple stuff that can be taught.

It's just refreshing to have a guy post up and draw double (and triple teams from the Nuggets game) because Tim is certainly not doubled as often any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Definitely need some sort of defensive presence which Curry isn't known for. But as a big body he could at least "clog the paint" and make it tougher for guys to drive in or at least think 2x. Can't be any worse than having Blair/Bonner in the middle who do nothing but try and take charges all the time.

His rebounding I think can be improved cause a lot of it is positional and boxing out. Simple stuff that can be taught.

It's just refreshing to have a guy post up and draw double (and triple teams from the Nuggets game) because Tim is certainly not doubled as often any more.
    I still think that Blair is our best option, but I do agree with you on that point. It won't hurt the team if he is added. He's just another solid big body in the paint. Im really pulling for Curry to get a roster spot and hopefully he can prove to everyone that he really has some "big man" basketabll potential.

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Curry was scoring fairly easily on Osik yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICy0aOeDBqg

Witherspoon was also a surprise and looked pretty good. Powell didn't play and Brown is pretty much useless in half court sets, but has potential. Could see him going to the Toros.
    Thanks for the link. I hope the big guy makes the team!
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    Written by Jeff Garcia

After defeating the Houston Rockets last night in preseason action, the San Antonio Spurs were back at camp before their next game this weekend. The team had an early practice and afterwards, DeJuan Blair and Patty Mills spoke to the media.

ESPN San Antonio's Eric Messersmith was at today's practice and shared with Project Spurs what Blair and Mills had to say.

Blair on his recent play in the preseason:

I'm just playing. Doing everything I've been working on. I'm learning the system, even more even though I been here for a couple of years. Still learning the system and still having fun. Putting everything in the past.

Blair on his weight loss:

I dropped a couple of pounds but I'm still me, still DeJuan. I'm never skinny. I'm just me, I'm just big. I'm just trying to work and just be out on the floor. If this is what Pop wants then I'm going to do anything to get minutes and try to be consistent and everything.

Blair on Eddy Curry and Josh Powell:

They're doing excellent. They're developing everyday. Ed is a big body and Josh is more of a skilled four or five. He's a great attribute to the team, to the camp. Ed is huge and Josh is more of a guardable big, that you can actually guard and move your feet. It's good for me and Tim (Duncan) and everybody to workout with them.

Blair on his jumpshot:

It's coming along. I been working on it as you can see. That's all I been doing throughout the whole summer. It's going to come. I'm not rushing it.

Blair on his maturity:

I've matured, everything that happened to me, last year, in the summer, it made me grow up a lot. Just really focus on what needs to be done and not worry about what I can't control.

Blair on not playing much during last season's playoffs:

During the playoffs last year, it was to the point, I was a little upset. It ain't nothing I can't control at the end of the day. Talked to my mother, talked to my brother and I prayed about it

Mills on getting back on the court:

You never want to be out too long with injuries. Mine was a little ankle sprain that recovered really well and rehabbing, obviously, the last week.

Mills on his sprain:

It was a sprained ankle. The recovery, all of the swelling came down, really quick, the bruising came out.

Mills on being out for some time:

You never want to be off the court but I felt like the stuff I was doing off the court, whether it was watching film, talking to the coaches, talking to the players, I still felt like I was in the mix.

Mills on Nando De Colo:

I been playing against him for a few years now with the national team. What he's brought to our team here, is exactly what he's good at, what he's been great at playing internationally. Great vision, he sets up the team really well. His passing is unbelievable. He showed that in the last few games and he can shoot it as well. I think he'll bring a lot to our team.

Mills on Cory Joseph:

He's come a long way from last year. He had a big summer competing in the Summer League but I think it was all the stuff that he's done individually in the weight room and individually with the coaches. He got after it a lot and you can see the stuff he puts on the court. He's becoming a real point guard and it's great to see.

Mills on all the point guards at camp:

We got a number of point guards that are really good and really solid. If nothing else, it's going to make everyone of us even better the more we push ourselves.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...ncy-mills.html
    Last edited by AlexTmz2; 10-16-2012 at 12:32 AM.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    For Spurs' De Colo, lower is better:
    Written by Jeff Garcia

It's been a pretty impressive NBA rookie debut for San Antonio Spurs guard Nando De Colo. He scored 11 points in his first NBA game versus the Hawks, and nailed the game-winning shot. Not to mention he has been showing just how brilliant a passer he can be.

Heading into his rookie season, one knock on De Colo's game was he didn't have a reliable outside shot. While with Spanish club Valencia, he averaged 46.7% from the field in his final season but in four preseason games (including the Siena game), Nando is averaging 52% from the field including going 3-3 from the field and 1-1 from the three-point line in the Spurs' recent win against the Rockets.

But like every NBA player, there's always room for improvement and for Nando, it begins with his legs.

Nando and the Spurs coaches are working on improving his shot and have De Colo focusing on getting lower.

"They said to be more lower when I shoot, when I drive. Just to be lower, to be stronger going to the basket," said De Colo.

At training camp, De Colo and shooting coach Chip Engelland have been working on his shot right after practice. Nando takes shot after shot and even has done some shooting off the dribble drills in an effort to improve.

"I just need to practice," De Colo said about improving his outside shot. "To be more focused in my legs to push it."

Nando is the type of player to not quit in the gym and use every chance to improve his shot. Of course going 100% from the field versus the Rockets will only help his cause to earn some playing time off the bench but as long as he sticks to good old-fashion practice, there's a good chance he will be showing off just how low, and more importantly for San Antonio, and how accurate his shot will be.

"(I'm) just focusing on my shot," he said. "I want to practice a lot when I have time to do so."

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...is-better.html

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Eddy Curry aiming to impress
    Written by Trevor Zickgraf

Three players, one spot. Barring a trade or some unexpected cut, that's the scenario Eddy Curry, Josh Powell and Derrick Brown face heading in to the final two weeks of training camp. The San Antonio Spurs have a full four days before their next game in Miami on Saturday. This Spurs have the entire week to work on the good and the bad of preseason so far. For Curry, Powell and Brown it's going to be a week of practices to get more familiar with the system before what it is likely a make or break weekend for all three. We can also assume that the weekend back to back against the Heat and Magic will likely be make or break time for each of the three.

Last week, the Curry told the San Antonio Express News' Mike Monroe that camp has been good for him, and so far there's very little evidence to show he's wrong.

“I feel I’m in a good situation,” he said. “I worked hard this summer. Every game it’s just about showing everybody what I can do. I’m trying to focus on defense and rebounding, trying to play in the system and soak up as much as I can.

“I think I’m going to make it. Until they tell me I’m not, I feel like I’m part of this team.”

If the Spurs were just looking for the best available talent, Curry would be the leader in the clubhouse. He's shown a unique ability to score in the post and generally take up space on defense and with some time and continued practice could become an able post defender. But Curry is not a pick and roll defender and he's not a rim protector. Those are the two things the Spurs need most and both Powell and Brown have shown an ability to do those things.

If the Spurs decide they do like Curry, then other moves could conceivably made to make room for him. As Tim Duncan has said, he sees "potential, potential, potential" in Curry, and that's not something you give up on easily. Yes, Powell and Brown would be better fits, but honestly, don't the Spurs have larger problems if they're signing any of these three to be meaningful contributors assuming everyone is healthy? Is the 15th man spot a good place for a high risk, high reward guy? I don't know what the right answer is. It's not a simple decision either and it's one that's been made only more difficult by the more aerodynamic DeJuan Blair, who slimmed down presents to the potential to do those some of those things Powell and Brown bring to the table.
    http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...o-impress.html

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Video: ESPN sits with the Spurs' 'Big 3'
    Written by Jeff Garcia

San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker form the team's "Big 3" and have brought the franchise three out of four NBA titles. That's a long time as a trio and all three know it.

From winning an NBA title to getting upset in the first round of the playoff, all three have felt the highs and lows together but have also created a strong bond along the way.

ESPN recently sat down with the trio as they discussed their time together, losing to the Thunder in last season's playoffs, TP's goggles, and much more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Xz3edtALrtw

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Let's see what happens with curry, his defense is still suspect and his rebounding will not help much. I rather have a stretch Big that can't defend and rebound, then someone that will clog the lane on offense.

The spurs need another Big Body that can defend and rebound, at least if Splitter stays in Pop's doghouse and this is not Curry.

vCash
    Ginobili looking forward to full season with Jackson, Diaw
    Written by Michael A. De Leon

The San Antonio Spurs started and ended their lockout-shortened 66-game season looking like two different squads after picking up Boris Diaw, and Patty Mills and trading Richard Jefferson for Stephen Jackson.

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili spoke to Cancha Llena (via translation) about having those additions from day one of this season.

"Last season, we were playing well, and arrivals of Stephen Jackson and Boris (Diaw) we did much better. But it was in the middle of an atypical season. Having them from Day 1 to train on certain things we could not do before but we will be better. Last year we took it on because we have experience and knowledge of the game. But notice that [Kawhi] Leonard almost did not train with the team. We had the lockout, two preseason games and we started the season. Now we know better.”
    Aside from dealing with the lockout and adjusting to new personnel, Ginobili also talked about missing nearly half of last season's regular season games due to injury when asked about his challenge this season.

But even after suffering through an injury last season and playing in the Olympics, Ginobili says he feels he is at the same level as he has been in recent years.

"Trying to continue working with my team, but being healthy. Last year, I had a great season, but I missed 40 days in a season of 120 days. That hurt me a lot and it affected me psychologically in principle. Avoid mishaps and I hope to play a full season without problems. It feels good to keep the level of recent years. The key is to continue to help the team is in the top six in the NBA."

So far through preseason, Ginobili has looked unlike a player that played throughout the offseason. In limited minutes through preseason, Ginobii has managed to make an impact on both ends of the floor.
    http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...kson-diaw.html

^

(During NBA lockout)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456