Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Hunting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500

    Hunting

    Im from Wisconsin and am an avid hunter. I know PSD has some other hunters out there so lets get this thread going. Share some hunting stories and pictures. Like to know where your hunting, gun/bow, ammo, trail cams, stands, calls any of that fun stuff.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    vCash
    1500
    I will post more in here later. I am a big hunter, whitetail only these days. Work has limited me to only get out during shotgun season. Rifle has recently become legal in my area (upstate NY).

    I will post some stories and other good stuff when I am at a CPU

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Look forward to hear the differences between Wisconsin and New York. I know around here a few counties have/had shotgun only. But we have a lot of wide open spaces.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,037
    vCash
    1500
    Not a hunter, just had a gun question and this seemed like the best place to ask it without making a thread for it.

    What I am looking for is a stock that goes at the end of a gun. A hollow one, which is easy enough but what I can't find is one I have seen before which has a bar down the middle.

    So it almost looks like 2 openings one right behind the other. That is the stock right? At the end of the gun, the part right after the butt of the gun which you put up to your shoulder. I don't know how else to phrase it to even search it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    Not a hunter, just had a gun question and this seemed like the best place to ask it without making a thread for it.

    What I am looking for is a stock that goes at the end of a gun. A hollow one, which is easy enough but what I can't find is one I have seen before which has a bar down the middle.

    So it almost looks like 2 openings one right behind the other. That is the stock right? At the end of the gun, the part right after the butt of the gun which you put up to your shoulder. I don't know how else to phrase it to even search it.
    Well actually the very end of the gun is your butt. The stock is what the butt is attached too. If you search Butt Stock, that might help you out because it often goes by that name too. It sounds interesting meaning the shape your talking about. I'd be curious to see what you were looking for if you find it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Been getting some pretty nice trail cam pics. Do any of you guys use cams? If so..what brand?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,865
    vCash
    1500

    Hunting

    Looking for a bipod for my ar 15 any ideas

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    vCash
    1500
    Shotgun season for whitetail opens 1 week from tomorrow in NY and I will be in my favorite hunting stand with my Ithaca 12 gauge.

    I only have about a week to hunt this year and have 1 buck tag and 1 doe tag so will probably shoot the first mature animal I see, buck or doe.

    Anyone had any luck this year yet with bow or other?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Shotgun season for whitetail opens 1 week from tomorrow in NY and I will be in my favorite hunting stand with my Ithaca 12 gauge.

    I only have about a week to hunt this year and have 1 buck tag and 1 doe tag so will probably shoot the first mature animal I see, buck or doe.

    Anyone had any luck this year yet with bow or other?
    Good Luck! We have the opener for Gun/Deer in Wisconsin this Saturday. Ill have my Remington 700 30-06 ready to rip something up. Have a lot of nice bucks on the trail cam. I'll probably skip some classes next week until I get one. We got a Choice Tag and a Buck tag.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrain07 View Post
    Good Luck! We have the opener for Gun/Deer in Wisconsin this Saturday. Ill have my Remington 700 30-06 ready to rip something up. Have a lot of nice bucks on the trail cam. I'll probably skip some classes next week until I get one. We got a Choice Tag and a Buck tag.
    Your so lucky to be in the mid-west!!! I am jelous! Not a ton of deer where I hunt and I have gone plenty of days sitting an entire day and not seeing a single deer.

    How much acreage do you have to hunt and is it public or private? I hunt private land but it is not what it used to be thats for sure, oil companies have been leasing gas rights off people and they are not allowing hunters. I have a 150 acre farm I hunt every now and then but he lets others hunt as well so it gets packed. My grandma has 25 acres I hunt which produces a buck every now and then.

    Best way is to do deer drives and get them moving, our season starts so late they are not moving anymore after the rut.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Your so lucky to be in the mid-west!!! I am jelous! Not a ton of deer where I hunt and I have gone plenty of days sitting an entire day and not seeing a single deer.

    How much acreage do you have to hunt and is it public or private? I hunt private land but it is not what it used to be thats for sure, oil companies have been leasing gas rights off people and they are not allowing hunters. I have a 150 acre farm I hunt every now and then but he lets others hunt as well so it gets packed. My grandma has 25 acres I hunt which produces a buck every now and then.

    Best way is to do deer drives and get them moving, our season starts so late they are not moving anymore after the rut.
    I hunt on an 80 but we have a good relationship with our neighbors so we kind of combine putting us around the 180 mark when it comes to total area hunted.

    I used to be all for deer drives in the past but if you do them it takes a while for your land to settle down again. Its one good push of deer but they dont come back for a while. We've done away with drives and started QDM(Quality Deer Management) about 5 years ago and its worked out real nice.

    On Tuesday I shot an 8 pointer.. I'd put up a picture but in all honesty, I really dont know how too.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrain07 View Post
    I hunt on an 80 but we have a good relationship with our neighbors so we kind of combine putting us around the 180 mark when it comes to total area hunted.

    I used to be all for deer drives in the past but if you do them it takes a while for your land to settle down again. Its one good push of deer but they dont come back for a while. We've done away with drives and started QDM(Quality Deer Management) about 5 years ago and its worked out real nice.

    On Tuesday I shot an 8 pointer.. I'd put up a picture but in all honesty, I really dont know how too.
    neither do I unfortunately, I just know it has to be in link form. I got skunked this season (only had the first week off). I didnt see a thing Saturday, Sunday, or Monday not 1 deer! Tuesday night I had a close encounter with a beautiful probably 130-140" 9 point. Kind of a long story to get to the point it has just about dark and he comes to some calling we (my friend was video taping the hunt) did. He comes from the total wrong direction and stops dead broadside at 70 yards RIGHT behind a tree in the hedgerow I was sitting. He had us pinned at that point and after a minute of making sure took off and I couldnt get a shot. I was bummed but the encounter was a great one, that is a great buck for our area. I also saw 2 does at about 150 yards earlier in that day but to far to reach with my shotgun.

    Wednesday evening was my last sit, had a 4 point stop right in front of me at 20 yards. normally I would have probably taken him as I was unable to get a doe and being my last day I REALLY wanted some venacin (sp). I was on a friends property though who also practices QDM so he was not big enough (4 on a side) or old enough (3.5) to take even though he said I could I didnt want to mess up what could be a good thing.

    Really wish I had more time to hunt. I moved to DC from upstate NY about 7 or 8 years ago and only can go up opening week. I really want to get into bow hunting and hunt longer season but dont have the time and dont have a great area that gaurentees deer. I have thought about booking a trip to the mid-west just so I could make use of my limited time to hunt. Booking hunts is pretty expensive but maybe if you only do it every few years or something. Who knows, I guess I will have to look forward to next year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,914
    vCash
    1500
    why do you like to hunt down animals that don't want to die?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan = Donkey View Post
    why do you like to hunt down animals that don't want to die?
    Because I eat them

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan = Donkey View Post
    why do you like to hunt down animals that don't want to die?
    because I am at the top of the food chain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •