Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who is the Magic's Top Rival?

The Orlando Magic are about to begin their 25th season, yet it's difficult to pinpoint which opponent stands as their biggest rival. Sure, it's easy to name teams Magic fans dislike more than others, but rivalry goes beyond mere dislike.

Lakers
    L.A. knocked off the Magic in their most recent Finals trip in 2009, just the second Finals appearance in franchise history. Further, Shaquille O'Neal and Dwight Howard, the only franchise centers Orlando has ever known, made L.A. their destination after leaving the Magic. O'Neal joined the Lakers as a free agent in 1996, while Orlando acquiesced to Howard's trade request by dealing him to L.A. in July.

The Magic's head-to-head record against the Lakers is 14-32 (.304), their worst head-to-head record against any team in the league.

Rockets
    Like the Lakers, Houston is responsible for one of Orlando's playoff defeats, sweeping it out of the 1995 Finals. And like the Lakers, the Rockets benefitted from a Magic superstar's dissatisfaction, having acquired two-time scoring champion Tracy McGrady from Orlando in 2004.

Orlando has a head-to-head record of 25-22 against the Rockets in regular-season play.

Pistons

Perhaps no team in the league has had the Magic's number quite like Detroit, despite the Lakers' superior head-to-head record. The Pistons have bounced the Magic from the postseason four times, while the Magic have yet to return the favor. Further, Detroit won its first 14 head-to-head meetings with the Magic. Orlando's all-time record against the Pistons stands at 36-49 (.424), its lowest against any Eastern team.

Heat
    Miami is a geographical and division rival for Orlando, and began NBA play just one season before the Magic did, so the two teams will draw comparisons to one another as a matter of course. Hurting the Heat on this front is the fact that there's not much postseason history between the teams, as the Heat knocked Orlando out of the playoffs in their lone playoff series against one another in 1997.

The Magic have a respectable 44-47 (.484) head-to-head record against the Heat in regular-season play.

Celtics
    Orlando is 2-1 in postseason series against Boston, but the "1" in that record may hurt Magic fans more than the "2" cheers them. The Celtics upset the Magic in the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals, abruptly ending what had been a brilliant run by Orlando: counting the first two rounds of the playoffs that season, the Magic had won 31 of their last 36 games.

Though Boston is a storied franchise with a clear top rival--that'd be the Lakers--there's reason to believe the enmity between the two fanbases may be mutual. "Boston Garden is now closed," O'Neal said, rather famously, after the Magic eliminated the Celtics in 1995, ending Boston's tenancy in the storied venue. Orlando also overcame a 3-2 series deficit in the 2009 Eastern Conference Semifinals to upset the Celtics, which upset included a decisive Game Seven win in Boston.
    http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com...-orlando-magic

I would say Lakers, just because they stole Shaq, beat us in 09 and now have Dwight, then Celtics, Pistons, Heat, Rockets.
    Last edited by *Superman*; 09-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.

vCash
    Definitely not the Heat, Lakers for sure.

vCash
    1. Hawks
    2. Pistons

We're not good enough for our rival to be a western conf. team. Of the list of teams you gave I'd say Detroit, After the infamous Tmac "It feels good to get into the second round" quote, than subsequent collapse Ive always put a lot of importance in the pistons match up. Going off the list I'd say our most recent rival is the Hawks, they seem to really get up for games against us.

vCash
    Free Agency
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Free Agency

vCash
    Otis smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harryo82 View Post
    Free Agency has ****ed us more than any team in the NBA. Took Shaq away, forced Dwight out, and we couldn't bring in quality Free Agents. I guess in order for something to be a rival you have to win a little bit...we don't do that
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Free Agency
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ass View Post
    Otis smith
    Well we found our class clowns.

vCash
    I'll take it! MBS is the class bully and Raph and ManRam are the ones who never show up to class

vCash
    I'll take it! MBS is the class bully and Raph and ManRam are the ones who never show up to class

I think Raph might have transferred though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harryo82 View Post
    1. Hawks
    2. Pistons

We're not good enough for our rival to be a western conf. team. Of the list of teams you gave I'd say Detroit, After the infamous Tmac "It feels good to get into the second round" quote, than subsequent collapse Ive always put a lot of importance in the pistons match up. Going off the list I'd say our most recent rival is the Hawks, they seem to really get up for games against us.
    It's not only that. But just looking at is besides playing games, they've gotten two future HOF players from us, and beating us after reaching the Finals just ads salt on the wound.

The Hawks were a good addition though, forgot about them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post

I think Raph might have transferred though.
    He followed Dwight? I thought he said he was an NBA fan, then a Magic fan, then a Dwight fan?

vCash
    He's been active on PSD, but it's been in the Lakers forum mostly. So you can make your own assumptions from that.

vCash
    The Charlotte Bobcats. They will be competing for worst record

vCash
    To me it would be Detroit, they are the team that gave us the most problems over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast