Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pittsburgh Steelers 2013 NFL draft Thread: Part 1

So since the bye week is here and we have no game to talk about let's start with the draft since many of us follow it year round.

Use this to discuss players from college you want, what we need, and where you see us picking throughout the year.

I think our biggest need is a starting corner oppisite Ike. Lewis is not a starter, brown and Allen may be in the future but we need a guy who is shut down and have needed it for years. Vandyke has upside but we will see.

Another spot needing filled is ILB foote is old and never was a stud. If we could somehow get Teo without sucking it would be amazing. Imagine Woodley, Teo, Timmons, Harrison

We need a safety to groom behind Troy and RC, also to play a few games for injuries because Mundy is awful.

It's clear we need to resign Wallace if not we will need a Wr.
    Hopefully we resign Mendenhall, because our backs aren't the greatest without him. Many are high on Dwyer but I'm not.

Of course we could fill the last slot on our line Guard. A line of Adams, decastro, pouncey, Gilbert, and a pick is scary.

So here is something to hold us over during the bye and a place to discuss the draft the rest of the year with college football in full swing.

vCash
    Need stud LBs, Harrison's days are numbered and we have to fill his spot with an elite pass rusher, a good ILB to take Foote's spot is needed as well.

vCash
    I'm not giving up on carter yet. I do think foote needs replaced this coming year though.

vCash
    LB LB and oh wait another LB

vCash
    I agree that the need we have is on defense.

CB: CB2 makes a lot of sense. I don't think we've picked a CB in the first round since Rod Woodson. I think it's time. He can start opposite Ike until Ike retires, and he can start playing CB1 when Ike starts to slow down.

ILB: Foote's done a solid job this year, so I don't think this is a huge need. He's in the last year of his contract, but I'd be okay with bringing him back.

OLB: Harrison has missed time, and I'm not sold on Worilds or Carter. I think how Harrison plays when he returns will be telling, but I anticipate needing an OLB in the near future.

S: We have two aging safeties with, let's face it, no youth behind them. I'm somewhat okay with that, as I think Spence could drop back to safety (SS), if needed. And if we get a shutdown corner, I think Ike could be a good fit at safety (FS) as he ages. But we have to start seriously considering options here.

On offense, there are positions we could upgrade, but when healthy, I think we have one of the top offenses in the league. I would stick with primarily defense in this draft. My opinion on that may change depending on how the RBs do this year.

Also, now that bye-week is upon us, I expect that we'll sign Wallace soon. He's done well so far this year and there's no excuse for not signing him long-term now.

vCash
    We don't negotiate during the season though. I think Hampton is gone after this year and that money goes to mike. I wish they would sign him now to get it over with the longer we wait the higher the price tag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    We don't negotiate during the season though. I think Hampton is gone after this year and that money goes to mike. I wish they would sign him now to get it over with the longer we wait the higher the price tag.
    Does the bye week count as "during the season" though? I would think the bye week is a perfect time to negotiate and lock-up your star players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Does the bye week count as "during the season" though? I would think the bye week is a perfect time to negotiate and lock-up your star players.
    I agree but they won't at all till the off season. I hope they change that way of doing business but I don't see them changing the way they have always done things.

vCash
    I think that mass majority of this draft, as in at least 5 picks, needs to be used on defense. 2 safeties, preferably one early who can replace Troy or Clark in a couple years, at least one linebacker, but probably 2, a cornerback, and a defensive end all seem necessary.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I look at our draft as this:
    Offense: check. Aside from any unforeseen need (RB) there shouldn't be a single pick used on offense.

D-Line: 3 drafts, 3 d-linemen. Hood has developed into a solid end. Heyward will be there when the beard hangs it up. Ta'amo needs some more time but should be OK. Other than potential depth not a need.

LB: Priority is MLB. My dream pick is Te'o. I would be OK with any of the three PSU backers (take away the sanctions and watch them: studs. All three). If I were Colbert I would find a way to target these four. Next would be an OLB. I wouldn't mind a 3rd rounder on an undersized DE that's needs a year or two. But I'm still on this: trade a third and 5th for Brandon Grahm of Philly. Groom to be OLB.

Secondary:
    In the second round we need to target a CB. Same with later rounds. I'm actually for this scenario: get that impact corner. If he proves to be solid right away and our other CBs develop to a higher level, use Ike as a third safety. Not a long term solution but it buys us another year or two.

So my draft for us would go:
    1st: ILB (PSU LB or Te'o)
    2nd: CB
    3rd: trade. If not get a tweener to develop into OLB.
    4th: back to the well for a corner
    5th: ILB depth
    6th: traded. If not kicker.
    7th: oline.
    Use any supplemental picks on DLine or WR.

Of course this all gets blown up if Wallace walks.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg:23726312
    I look at our draft as this:
    Offense: check. Aside from any unforeseen need (RB) there shouldn't be a single pick used on offense.

D-Line: 3 drafts, 3 d-linemen. Hood has developed into a solid end. Heyward will be there when the beard hangs it up. Ta'amo needs some more time but should be OK. Other than potential depth not a need.

LB: Priority is MLB. My dream pick is Te'o. I would be OK with any of the three PSU backers (take away the sanctions and watch them: studs. All three). If I were Colbert I would find a way to target these four. Next would be an OLB. I wouldn't mind a 3rd rounder on an undersized DE that's needs a year or two. But I'm still on this: trade a third and 5th for Brandon Grahm of Philly. Groom to be OLB.

Secondary:
    In the second round we need to target a CB. Same with later rounds. I'm actually for this scenario: get that impact corner. If he proves to be solid right away and our other CBs develop to a higher level, use Ike as a third safety. Not a long term solution but it buys us another year or two.

So my draft for us would go:
    1st: ILB (PSU LB or Te'o)
    2nd: CB
    3rd: trade. If not get a tweener to develop into OLB.
    4th: back to the well for a corner
    5th: ILB depth
    6th: traded. If not kicker.
    7th: oline.
    Use any supplemental picks on DLine or WR.

Of course this all gets blown up if Wallace walks.
    I agree but if Teo is gone go corner round 1

vCash
    I agree...but I want to target those PSU LBs. Namely Motte. Dude is a beast but is overshadowed by what happened off the field there. He moves just as naturally and instinctively as Teo and will come with a lesser pick.

If we get either Teo or Motte to pair with Timmons we would have a pair to rival what SF has in the middle.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    Since CB/DB isn't that deep as it has been within the last 3 Drafts, I say we get one in Round 2. And if we have a shot at our ILB, such as Manti Teo, than do it. It's like David DeCastro, you think he won't be there, than BAM, he fell to us. I hope he does, but right now, he's top 10, like Luke Kuechly.....
    Representing Dodgers,Steelers,Lakers,Anaheim Ducks,USC Trojans and Barcelona.

vCash
    I found this..... There's some good talent on the board... Plus Underslassmen that may declare..

Safeties

1. T.J. McDonald
    USC Proj. 1
    2. Eric Reid
    LSU (Jr.) Proj. 1
    3. Ray Ray Armstrong
    Miami Proj. 1
    4. Tony Jefferson
    Oklahoma (Jr.) Proj. 2
    5. Matt Elam
    Florida (Jr.) Proj. 2
    6. Robert Lester
    Alabama Proj. 2
    7. Bacarri Rambo
    Georgia Proj. 3
    8. DeVonte Holloman
    South Carolina Proj. 2
    9. Prentiss Waggner
    Tennessee Proj. 4
    10. Hasean Clinton-Dix
    Alabama (Soph.) Proj. 2
    11. John Boyett
    Oregon Proj. 3
    12. Kenny Vaccaro
    Texas Proj. 3
    13. Karlos Williams
    Florida St (Soph.) Proj. 2
    14. Craig Loston
    LSU (Jr.) Proj. 3
    15. Vaughn Telemaque
    Miami Proj. 4

Cornerbacks

1. Johnny Adams
    Michigan St Proj. 1
    2. David Amerson
    NC State (Jr.) Proj. 1
    3. Dee Milliner
    Alabama (Jr.) Proj. 1
    4. Jonathan Banks
    Miss St Proj. 1
    5. Tyrann Mathieu
    LSU (Jr.) Proj. 3
    6. Desmond Trufant
    Washington Proj. 2
    7. Rod Sweeting
    Georgia Tech Proj. 2
    8. Branden Smith
    Georgia Proj. 2
    9. Quandre Diggs
    Texas (Soph.) Proj. 1
    10. Micah Hyde
    Iowa Proj. 3
    11. Tim Scott
    No Carolina (Soph.) Proj. 2
    12. Jordan Poyer
    Oregon State Proj. 3
    13. Charles Jackson
    Nebraska (Soph.) Proj. 3
    14. Nickell Robey
    USC (Jr.) Proj. 2
    15. Demontre Hurst
    Oklahoma Proj. 3
    Representing Dodgers,Steelers,Lakers,Anaheim Ducks,USC Trojans and Barcelona.

vCash
    I think we could make a play or two in free agency. I'm not talking about a huge splash, but someone on the lines of James Farrior and Ryan Clark when we signed them. There are some good linebackers and defensive backs that will be free agents that aren't big names, but can produce on the field.

That being said we need to lock up Wallace if we are going to continue to be a throwing team. We can't let him walk and have the same production from the passing game it won't happen.

I think with Harrison's injuries the last two years he is gone after the season. Hampton is gone after the season. Depending on how Mendenhall plays when he returns he may not be retained after this year. Will Allen and Larry Foote are likely gone. I'm really hoping Sylvester can come back from his MCL tear and play well because he and Spence could be our replacements in the middle next year.

We will keep all of our RFA IMO: Emmanuel Sanders, Issac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Steve McLendon, and Stevenson Sylvester.

We have Mendenhall, Wallace, Greg Warren, Ryan Mundy, Keenan Lewis, Legursky, Foote, W. Allen, D. Jonhson, Hamtpon, and Ramon Foster as our other free agents.

Sign: Foster, Warren, Wallace, Lewis to fair deals

Possibly re-sign: Mundy and Legursky

Let walk: Foote, Allen, Johnson, Hampton

Use the cap space to sign Wallace to deal (this has to happen for our offense to continue to play well). We could also use a free agent corner, linebacker, or safety as said earlier that can come in like Farrior and Clark and take over a position.

For the draft the dream is Te'o, but that only happens if we completely tank. TJ McDonald would be nice to groom as a replacement for Troy or Clark.

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast