Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tristan Thompson

There has been a lot of conversation about TT lately. Instead of eating up other threads I've decided to start one specific to TT. No, Carl this is not your thread. See the Kevin Jones thread.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em

vCash
    Here's a good read from Cavs the Blog: http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=14770

Outliers: Tristan Thompson’s Block Party

Yes, this title in intended to inflame the masses. Honestly, it’s the Cavs entire team that is partying, it just seems wrong to have it anywhere other that TT’s house. I’ve never seen anything quite like this. I knew the Cavs were getting stuffed at the rim a lot. But I had no idea how prolific they are at it. I was also aware that TT’s blocks (the ones where he blocks the OTHER guy) were down from last year. Digging a little deeper, I learned that the Cavs are worst in the NBA in getting blocked (not completely surprised) but also worst in the league at wagging the finger (a little surprised). The Cavs block differential? That is our outlier of the day – and it. is. BREATHTAKING. For the full effect, click on the image, and then click on it again to get the full screen.

The Cavs block differential (-99) is more than DOUBLE the next worst team – Golden State(-48), who has played without Andrew Bogut for all but 73 minutes this season. Let that sink in. I think we can safely tar and feather the next person that utters something along the lines of “Tristan Thompson can be our Serge Ibaka”.
    Last edited by Arch Stanton; 12-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Good idea, Arch. Like I said in the other thread, I like TT. I think he brings toughness and a lot of activity to the floor for us. He is very good on the offensive glass and has picked it up a lot this year on the defensive end. Sadly, he's not the type of player you look to get at the 4th overall pick. He's still a project so there's room for growth but he's just not showing much signs of improvement on the offensive end. He's bigger, you can tell he worked hard in the off-season, I just don't think his offensive game will grow to the level we need it to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Good idea, Arch. Like I said in the other thread, I like TT. I think he brings toughness and a lot of activity to the floor for us. He is very good on the offensive glass and has picked it up a lot this year on the defensive end. Sadly, he's not the type of player you look to get at the 4th overall pick. He's still a project so there's room for growth but he's just not showing much signs of improvement on the offensive end. He's bigger, you can tell he worked hard in the off-season, I just don't think his offensive game will grow to the level we need it to.
    I was more forgiving of TT last season. Partly because it was a weak draft, partly because TT was a rookie, and partly because we had Kyrie who was dazzling everyone. I expected to see some minor improvements from TT this season but instead he's actually gotten worse.

vCash
    I wouldn't say he's a worse player this year, just a similar player to last year which is frustrating. Like you said, we expected improvement from him. We expected to see a more polished post presence and at least a glimpse of a jump-shot. I don't necessarily mean a reliable jump-shot, just a shot that he looks comfortable taking. When he gets that ball about 15 feet from the basket he's pretty much useless. The league has adjusted to his pump fake and hope somebody bites move and he has nothing to rebuttal that with. Until he gets at least one post move he's extremely limited without an elite PG like Kyrie or a play-maker like Dion.

As far as how he's improved I'd look towards his passing game, his defense, and his comfort level while playing. Last year I think he rushed a lot of things, this year he looks comfortable, he just doesn't look skilled. He has no post moves and constantly gets blocked as a result of that. There's still some room for growth so I'm definitely not giving up on him yet, but we need to see some flashes of potential. Right now we are not seeing any flashes so that raises our frustration level.

His pick leaves a lot to be desired right now which is fair. He's not producing like a 4th overall pick and that partially falls on Chris Grant but it is also a product of a terrible draft class. Looking back now there were some better options but it is what it is and we need to focus on the player we have, not those that we don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I wouldn't say he's a worse player this year, just a similar player to last year which is frustrating. Like you said, we expected improvement from him. We expected to see a more polished post presence and at least a glimpse of a jump-shot. I don't necessarily mean a reliable jump-shot, just a shot that he looks comfortable taking. When he gets that ball about 15 feet from the basket he's pretty much useless. The league has adjusted to his pump fake and hope somebody bites move and he has nothing to rebuttal that with. Until he gets at least one post move he's extremely limited without an elite PG like Kyrie or a play-maker like Dion.

As far as how he's improved I'd look towards his passing game, his defense, and his comfort level while playing. Last year I think he rushed a lot of things, this year he looks comfortable, he just doesn't look skilled. He has no post moves and constantly gets blocked as a result of that. There's still some room for growth so I'm definitely not giving up on him yet, but we need to see some flashes of potential. Right now we are not seeing any flashes so that raises our frustration level.

His pick leaves a lot to be desired right now which is fair. He's not producing like a 4th overall pick and that partially falls on Chris Grant but it is also a product of a terrible draft class. Looking back now there were some better options but it is what it is and we need to focus on the player we have, not those that we don't.
    His numbers are similar but he's getting more minutes. And because of that his efficiency is slightly lower. I'll give him credit his assist ratio has jumped from 4.3 to 10.2. So he's improved from that standpoint.
    Watching him he looks slow and he telegraphs every move so this makes it easy for players to block. He also continues to play below the rim. I thought that was supposed to be his strength? He can jump and has long arms but looks like he's carrying Shaq on his back when he jumps to the rim.

vCash
    Yup, he's very deliberate in his movements, that's for sure. He has no go to move and routinely just tries to force up shots under the basket.

vCash
    What is the reason he constantly gets blocked when he's going up by the basket?

vCash
    I think it's because of how deliberate he is in his moves. Most of the time he just tries to force his way to the rim and get's rejected as a result of that. Without a true post move the defenders have nothing to fear when defending him.

vCash
    "Plodding" is the first word that comes to mind when I think of TT.

vCash
    ^ Couldn't agree more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto4short View Post
    What is the reason he constantly gets blocked when he's going up by the basket?
    A lot of it like Melo said is his plodding and slow deliberation in his post moves where most of the times he just doesn't look comfortable with his offensive game but a lot of it too has to do with him carrying the ball low before going up. Most times you teach big men to go up with the ball high instead of bringing it from your lower body and he does that a lot. Also when he is able to get an offensive rebound a lot of times he is going back down and dropping the ball instead of keeping it high and going back up quickly with it.

I have heard that he is working a lot with Z right now as Z is playing a consultant role with him for offensive purposes so hopefully that will help him as Z was always good at playing big even though he could not jump. Especially with put backs. One thing you can't say about TT is that he will never be a guy that isn't trying to work or improve and that is something that you have to be impressed about with him. I think a lot of that is the reason that he was the #4 pick because alot of the other guys in the draft in 2011 all had question marks around them but you knew with TT that he was going to come in and work and try to learn to get better so you knew what you were going to get out of him. Right now he is nothing more than an energy guy off the bench that is starting for a team that lacks any depth and want to get him the minutes for experience and growth and he is just starting the year off poorly. Remember too last year he started off poorly and came on late so you just hope that once he continues to get the minutes he will continue in his game. If not then they might be looking at a guy like Nerlens Noel next year.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Very happy with Tristan's play the past few games...averaging 9 pt, 8 rbds, and 1 block in 14 games in December. Also shooting 50%.

Maybe he's turning the corner!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BornInOhio View Post
    Very happy with Tristan's play the past few games...averaging 9 pt, 8 rbds, and 1 block in 14 games in December. Also shooting 50%.

Maybe he's turning the corner!
    Can't talk good about TT, he is a bust after only 80 games remember. Sarcasm off now, I am very pleased with his play as of late as well. I really am coming to the point that he just doesn't play well with Andy as he started to come around last year too in the 2nd half when Andy was out.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    People see Lebron and Kyrie and think every player drafted in the top 5 is a star right out of the gate. Look how long it took Kobe (yes, I know he wasn't a top 5 pick)? TT is 20 years old and still developing. The cavs knew he was a bit of a project but also knew his potential was that much higher especially with his work ethic. Give him an entire rookie contract, then judgement can be passed. Sometimes it just takes guys a little more time to adjust and learn. I'm not saying he is the next karl malone but he keeps getting better and that is what the cavs need the most

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast