Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Weakness of the Big Ten

So it seems fairly obvious to me that the B1G is extremely down this year. Teams like MSU, UM, Wisconsin were expected to be power house teams and have either lost to or struggled against low level teams. The same can be said for Iowa, Illinois, PSU, etc. No team has looked like a national power this year.

Why is the Big Ten looking so bad this year? I am curious on a conference level and not individual teams like "Our QB is new" or "First year coach" or anything like that.

vCash

Weakness of the Big Ten

Well it's pretty obvious why Wisconsin is struggling, no more Russell Wilson, Nick Toon, Kevin Zeitler and many others and six of our coaches left so they were bound to struggle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkool65 View Post
    So it seems fairly obvious to me that the B1G is extremely down this year. Teams like MSU, UM, Wisconsin were expected to be power house teams and have either lost to or struggled against low level teams. The same can be said for Iowa, Illinois, PSU, etc. No team has looked like a national power this year.

Why is the Big Ten looking so bad this year? I am curious on a conference level and not individual teams like "Our QB is new" or "First year coach" or anything like that.
    You got lots of turnover from the top teams. Wisky/MSU losing the top 2 qb's in the conference and OSU "rebuilding" and ineligible with Urban, PSU where do we begin? I think most knew this would be a tough year for the conference but it won't be long before it's back again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkool65 View Post

All 3 power house teams you singled out all lost on the road to teams currently ranked. Perhaps had they been home games they might have won?

Teams like Oregon, Florida State, and West Virginia have yet to even play a road game.

vCash
    Seems like the Big 10 has some QB problems. I admit all I've seen is Michigan and MSU play so maybe others can chime in but both Michigan/MSU QBs have looked pretty poor.

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Seems like the Big 10 has some QB problems. I admit all I've seen is Michigan and MSU play so maybe others can chime in but both Michigan/MSU QBs have looked pretty poor.
    I think that's very true for some. Not so much for others. Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan, purdue (injuries), indiana(injuries but irrelevant lol), Illinois (injuries), Iowa. have all had quarterback issues this season

As an Ohio state fan I can tell you more about them than other teams but I watch a ton of big 10 football in general

Braxton miller at Ohio state is flourishing in urban Meyers system, if Ohio state could get their defense to play consistently then they would have blown every team out. They need to start playing up on the wide receivers and stop giving them 8 yards off the line, they are very susceptible to quick, short passes. They are getting better pressure off the line. I don't think its a stretch at all to say they are the most talented defense in the big 10. They dont play the best but they have so much talent that its a waste with how they've played.

They also will do some better physical running when Carlos Hyde is back and they can run the triple option with miller having the option to hand the ball off to Hyde, miller to keep and run or pitch to Jordan hall. It will be nasty

Martinez at Nebraska has made huge strides.

I think its just overall a bad combination of things. New coaching and systems, new quarterbacks, sanctions.

But honestly, look at the rest of the country outside sec.

PAC12 has-USC, Oregon and Stanford

Big12 has Texas, West Virgina, Kansas state and you can count oklahoma but they haven't Been impressive this year. TCU who isn't that relevant IMO but I'll include the

ACC has Florida state and clemson

Big east- none.

Leagues are very top heavy right now outside sec. Most leagues have 2-3 real competitors for titles and rest will play competitively.

If msu and Wisky played to what people thought to go along with Nebraska I really don't see a big difference to big 10 compared to everyone else.

IMO Ohio state, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan state will all be very good next year. It's just a down year with almost every top team in the conference you can say is going through some kind of issue with coaching or new players at extremely key positions except with Nebraska who has been best overall team IMO

vCash
    I think a lot of it has to do with player development within the Big 10. JJ Watt is probably the last truly elite talent that the B10 has produced. Before that the B10 probably has to go back to Jake Long. Unlike the SEC, the B10 hasn't been able to consistently produce upper echelon talent, especially at the QB spot. Just out of curiosity, who was the last B10 QB to go in Rd 1? I can't remember.

vCash
    Ignoring the fact the top ranked teams have not played a decent road opponent yet speaks volumes about peoples critical thinking skills. When the top teams win tough road games, then I'm impressed. Most top teams don't even play tough road games out of conference, a sad but true state of college football in the modern era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with player development within the Big 10. JJ Watt is probably the last truly elite talent that the B10 has produced. Before that the B10 probably has to go back to Jake Long. Unlike the SEC, the B10 hasn't been able to consistently produce upper echelon talent, especially at the QB spot. Just out of curiosity, who was the last B10 QB to go in Rd 1? I can't remember.
    Quarterback- no clue.

As far as your argument that the big 10 hasn't produced top talent I have to completely disagree. They don't put out a ton of quarterbacks, corners or receivers but on the lines, linebacker and some running backs. they put out a ton of top level nfl players. Some in the elite player rate some in the very good but not elite player spot. But tons of top nfl talent has come from the big 10.

If you go back and look just since 2006 to make it easy the Big10 has put top level players in the NFL. People just don't look close enough because it's mostly linemen and linebackers, not guys scoring and throwing touchdowns every week in glory positions like quarterbacks and wide recievers