Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the Yankees keep or trade Hughes?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep him

24 66.67%
  • Trade him

12 33.33%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Keep or trade Phil Hughes?

Option 1:

Hughes will be a FA after the 2013 season and I have seen a couple of posters bring up the point that Hughes should be traded this off season in order to get max value for him. Perhaps a team with a pitcher friendly park that suppresses the HR could find lots of value in Phil who is still only 26.

Option 2:

Keep Hughes in the rotation through the 2013 season in the 3-5 spot and continue with his progress. He is a fly ball pitcher and as long as he pitches in a HR friendly park it's going to be something the Yankees and their fans will have to live with. Hughes could cut down on his HR/9 but it's still going to be on the high side. Hughes looks like he could be a good back end of the rotation pitcher and he is young.

vCash
    Only trade Hughes for a young and talented outfielder. If not, keep him.

vCash
    unless the yankees suddenly get 3 legit starters, getting rid of a starter while probably losing one of kuroda or andy is going to put the team in a mess.

in an ideal world pineida could come back next year (which I doubt he will to be efficient ) nova bounces back and they can keep kuroda, they still need to get another reliable starter if you are getting rid or keeping hughes.

Unless theres a team willing to pay something stupid for hughes I wouldnt trade him cause you can never have enough pitching as we witnessed this year

vCash
    We waited a long time for Phil Hughes to actually become a respectable starter and now that hes there; Lets trade him...

No thanks, Ill keep Phil as a mid to back end of the rotation option moving forward.

Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

My UFC Crew:

HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber

vCash
    Keep him. Even if he's a 4 or 5, that's still a good arm to have at that spot. Let's just hope he improves on those HR/9 numbers, and that he develops a really good out pitch.

vCash
    I guess I should have posted my choice. I'm all for keeping Hughes and inferno makes a good point in that the Yankees are not in a position to be trading away starters. He can be a good 4-5 in the rotation and has been much better since June of this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibumi19 View Post
    Keep him. Even if he's a 4 or 5, that's still a good arm to have at that spot. Let's just hope he improves on those HR/9 numbers, and that he develops a really good out pitch.
    Agreed. His ceiling is probably a number 3 starter at this point but he's still fairly solid.

vCash
    Keep him. After years he finally has become a reliable starter so it makes zero sense to trade him. He is a good young pitcher.

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    I just think Phil is better suited for a larger ballpark that will limit his HR/9 rate. I can see an NL team acquiring him, but the price has to be right.

vCash
    I would try and sign Hughes to a friendly extension. Something like 5 years at $25M. If you can't, then I would trade him in the middle of next year to an NL team looking for a rental.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford1829 View Post
    We waited a long time for Phil Hughes to actually become a respectable starter and now that hes there; Lets trade him...

No thanks, Ill keep Phil as a mid to back end of the rotation option moving forward.
    Absolutely. Hughes has proven that he can pitch in NY, which is tough for so many pitchers. Don't trade him now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    I would try and sign Hughes to a friendly extension. Something like 5 years at $25M. If you can't, then I would trade him in the middle of next year to an NL team looking for a rental.
    there's no way he takes that... pitchers just get overpaid so much.

I'd be ok with something like 4/28m. But even that I'm not sure he'd take.

vCash
    lol 5 years 25

vCash
    Lol...

More like 4-5 years $36-48M

vCash
    keep him or trade him, either way the yankees are going to have to do something to improve their rotation. as most have posted here, hughes is a back end starter. but somebody has to be a front end starter. as for next year, they have a commitment to only one.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast