Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    And I'm just hoping they call penalties by the SAME STANDARD all year long, including the playoffs. Interference, obstructions, etc should be the same penalty in November AND May. No difference. This is the only league in the world that changes refereeing standards depending on the time of year. That's why you start to see diving.

I seriously think it's a step backwards to have policemen playing on your top lines to take care of what the referees could be taking care of.

I like it too. Embarrass them into stopping. But at the same time, what about posting photos of the dirtiest players in the league? The ones who cheap shot Toews, Crosby, the Sedins, etc?
    I'm not saying the calls shouldn't still be made. I'm just saying from watching the Hawks a lot that if Toews had a big talented power-forward type on his line, teams wouldn't try anywhere near as much cheap stuff on him. Notice how the cheap shots have started coming a lot more after Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien are all traded to new teams. That's because any of those 3 guys would've stood up for Toews and Kane and made sure that cheap stuff like that came to a minimum.

Posting photos of the dirtiest players who cheap shot the stars is a great idea too. It's like putting a target on those guys and saying, "hey, these guys are trying to take out your stars. Are you going to let them get away with that?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    I'm not saying the calls shouldn't still be made. I'm just saying from watching the Hawks a lot that if Toews had a big talented power-forward type on his line, teams wouldn't try anywhere near as much cheap stuff on him. Notice how the cheap shots have started coming a lot more after Brouwer, Ladd, and Byfuglien are all traded to new teams. That's because any of those 3 guys would've stood up for Toews and Kane and made sure that cheap stuff like that came to a minimum.

Posting photos of the dirtiest players who cheap shot the stars is a great idea too. It's like putting a target on those guys and saying, "hey, these guys are trying to take out your stars. Are you going to let them get away with that?"
    100% agree.

And about a big PF for the top lines as you are suggesting, there's no doubt Mike Gillis agrees. That's why we went so hard after Doan, and why Gillis was willing to part with Hodgson on the chance that Kassian could turn into the big PF with the Sedins.

I would love to see the cheap shot artists' pics on dressing room walls, not just the divers. In Brad Marchand's case, he'd have his picture posted TWICE. lol.
    Last edited by ink; 09-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.

vCash
    100% agree.

And about a big PF for the top lines as you are suggesting, there's no doubt Mike Gillis agrees. That's why we went so hard after Doan, and why Gillis was willing to part with Hodgson on the chance that Kassian could turn into the big PF with the Sedins.

I would love to see the cheap shot artists' pics on dressing room walls, not just the divers. In Brad Marchand's case, he'd have his picture posted TWICE. lol.
    I don't think he's nearly as cheap as some people, mainly Canucks fans (haha), seem to think he is. That tabletop hit he had on one of the Sedins was cheap, but he was coming at Marchand. I think a lot of the "cheap" stuff he does is because he's a smaller guy and if he didn't do them, he'd get killed. He had another tabletop hit on someone that everyone thought was really cheap, but if he didn't duck and tabletop the guy, he'd have gotten destroyed and possibly injured. But yeah, he'd still have his picture up twice lol.

vCash
    I personally think, among non scrub players, Kesler and Marchand are biggest divers in the league.

I don't agree that Burrows is a diver though, I think he is a dirty player(or a rat I guess more so than dirty) but I don't consider him a diver honestly.

vCash
    With burrows it's just the snap back of the head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    With burrows it's just the snap back of the head.
    Yeah but which players don't do that in the league? I can't think of one

vCash
    I'm not saying they don't but the whole point is to make it easier on the refs. If we want the right calls to be made there has to be changes.

vCash
    I'm not saying they don't but the whole point is to make it easier on the refs. If we want the right calls to be made there has to be changes.
    Agreed. Besides, the most important thing is that these guys are all BETTER THAN THAT. They don't need this stuff to win. That goes for anyone in the league.

Like CK17 said above, Toews isn't doing it, and that's exactly why he's one of my favourite players in the league. He plays with incredible intensity, skill, and leadership, and he stays above the cheap stuff.

I'd have a lot more respect for some of our players if they'd do the same.

vCash
    If the players would just play through that crap they would get more calls anyway. Gain the respect and the refs will treat you right v

vCash
    If the players would just play through that crap they would get more calls anyway. Gain the respect and the refs will treat you right v
    Not excusing them but the Sedins have also taken more verbal abuse because they're twins than any other players I've ever heard of. Some of the twisted **** I've heard that they have to endure would drive you insane. Or at least it would make you want the refs to pay some ****ing attention to the abuse. I think they dive out of complete frustration.

vCash
    Not excusing them but the Sedins have also taken more verbal abuse because they're twins than any other players I've ever heard of. Some of the twisted **** I've heard that they have to endure would drive you insane. Or at least it would make you want the refs to pay some ****ing attention to the abuse. I think they dive out of complete frustration.
    I haven't heard much about this. What kind of stuff are they having to endure? If it's too sick to post here, feel free to PM me.

vCash
    I know what you mean but they need to play through it. This is exactly what I mean when I say this team is fragile and it starts with luongo. Too easily rattled and quit playing our game. This team lacks leadership in so many ways. They desperately need a leader up front, and as much as I like kesler he is not the answer. I think the Sedins lack grittiness and really need somebody to lead them I'm that regard. I'll confess, I'm not a huge fan of burrows. Hes a good player, great penalty killer, but by no means is he a first liner. I'm ranting but I fear for this team now. They really lack a true identity and the little they have is not pretty.

vCash
    I know what you mean but they need to play through it. This is exactly what I mean when I say this team is fragile and it starts with luongo. Too easily rattled and quit playing our game. This team lacks leadership in so many ways. They desperately need a leader up front, and as much as I like kesler he is not the answer. I think the Sedins lack grittiness and really need somebody to lead them I'm that regard. I'll confess, I'm not a huge fan of burrows. Hes a good player, great penalty killer, but by no means is he a first liner. I'm ranting but I fear for this team now. They really lack a true identity and the little they have is not pretty.
    100% agree with what you're saying. Another way of saying it is that this team seriously lacks character. I hate to admit it but that's why Canadians don't get behind the team. We admire character first and foremost, and though I think each individual is a standup person, and I have huge respect for the Sedins and what they've done for the community, this is about what happens on the ice. That's why I keep coming back to Toews. The guy exudes character and even as a small player he is tough as hell. Big or small, Schroeder or Doan or anyone else, we need a leader with on-ice character who doesn't back down and wills the team to wins. I just don't see that on our roster. /rant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    I haven't heard much about this. What kind of stuff are they having to endure? If it's too sick to post here, feel free to PM me.
    A lot of it is ********, along the lines of "they're red-headed twins so they have to be gay". It gets worse from there. A lot of it is really sick and as hockey fans we can do a lot better. You KNOW the players are only too happy to use **** like this to get inside their opponent's heads.

vCash
    A lot of it is ********, along the lines of "they're red-headed twins so they have to be gay". It gets worse from there. A lot of it is really sick and as hockey fans we can do a lot better. You KNOW the players are only too happy to use **** like this to get inside their opponent's heads.
    Haha that's true. I just wish they wouldn't dive. Being a big Blackhawks fan, I'll probably never like them, but I do respect their talent. Wish I could respect the way they play the game, too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast