Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Yaz vs. Cabrera

vCash

Yaz vs. Cabrera

On Sports Center they just said - Cabrera chasing Yaz.

As an eye witness to Yaz's season I want to draw the distinctions between the two:

1. Corrected numbers, some would look at the raw numbers and say Cabrera was as good or better. No

Yaz: .339/.432/.647 47 HR OPS+ 193

MC: .339/.403/.622 41 HR OPS+ 169 (obviously pending end of season)

2. Besides leading the league in BA HR and RBI, Yaz led in runs, hits, TB; Cabrera leads only in TB and GDIP at a massive 28 (Yaz had 5).

3. Fielding. Yaz won the GG and in spectacular fashion - and is one of the best fielding LF's of all time. Cabrera is below average at 3B or 1B.

4. Yaz had probably the greatest last two weeks of a season in MLB history in leading his team to the pennant (9th place the year before). This race was by far the greatest 4 team race in history, with all 4 teams having a shot at winning it outright going into the last 2 games of the season. It's routinely listed as one of the top 5-10 races of all time.

The Tigers are 3 games out of 1st, with little chance at one of the WC's.

If you go by rWAR, it's 12.0 > 6.3 as of today

Yaz 1967 >> MC 2012

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    They said he was chasing the triple crown that the most recent person who won it was Yaz. What are you trying to make out if this thread? We all know Cabbys defense isn't good and neither is his baserunning so what was then point of comparing the 2 lol.... just stop it.

**** you

vCash
    Not to mention, didn't Yaz get better as the season went on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    They said he was chasing the triple crown that the most recent person who won it was Yaz. What are you trying to make out if this thread? We all know Cabbys defense isn't good and neither is his baserunning so what was then point of comparing the 2 lol.... just stop it.
    What I am expecting is that given the average ages of the posters here, and the difference in raw stats, that some folks are going to make the leap to Miggy > Yaz. I'm just putting down my take on it. Don't like it, produce your own post. Bleating isn't what I had in mind.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Not to mention, didn't Yaz get better as the season went on?
    Yeah, he hit like .512 the last 12 games. Had a decent WS too.