Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2012 Mid-Season Roster Transactions (FA Signings, Waiver Additions, Cuts)

Colts Sign

Nicholas Jean-Baptiste (NT)
    Tony Hills (OT)

Colts Cut

Chigbo Anunoby (NT)
    Darrion Weems (OT)

2days roster moves,released DT C.Anunoby n T D.Weems from practice squad,signed NT N.Jean-Baptiste n T T.Hills 2 practice squad.
    http://twitter.com/JimIrsay/statuses/248193167546011648

vCash

More on Jean-Baptiste

NT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (Baylor) is a stout space-eater with questionable endurance
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag...-jean-baptiste

A motivated monster specializing at the 3-technique, Nicholas Jean-Baptiste is a space-eating run-stopper who will fill gaps in the running lanes. Weighing in at 335 pounds, he uses his sheer size and bullish strength to stabilize the defensive line.

Baptiste was selected to the Second-Team All-Big 12 for Baylor University last season. A good tackler, he recorded 36 total tackles (22 solo) during his senior season. He was selected to participate in the East-West Shrine Game but recorded no stats.

What the Experts Are Saying

According to Pro Football Weekly, in addition to being a quality run-stopper, Jean-Baptiste has good initial quickness off the ball. Able to squat 600 pounds, he has the sheer strength to muscle his way into the backfield and is described as tough and motivated. Initially a walk-on, Jean-Baptiste worked his way into a scholarship, then a starting position and then All-Big 12 honors.

However, Jean-Baptiste needs to refine his technique. For all of his size, he has average balance and is not a big factor in the pass rush. He must improve his overall stamina and upper-body strength.

Projected Impact as a Rookie

Signing as an undrafted free agent, Jean-Baptiste projects to be a two-down lineman—particularly specializing on running downs. He has the motivation and strong work ethic, but he must continue to improve on his technique and his overall stamina in order to see regular playing time in the NFL.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-and-analysis

A lot of mocks had us drating this kid in the later rounds. He went undrafted and was signed by Baltimore. They thought enough of him to keep him on the roster through camp. I for one am glad to have another huge body on the roster. I did like Anunoby though. I guess you got to keep "trading up" in talent.
    Last edited by DieHardColtsfan; 09-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    I like the news on Baptiste. Sounds like he can contribute to this team right now..

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Looks like Jean-Baptiste will simply replace Annunoby on the PS. At least for now..

vCash
    Colts Sign

Bradley Sowell (OT)

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis has signed offensive tackle Bradley Sowell from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad.

The 6-foot-7, 320-pound rookie was signed by the Bucs as an undrafted free agent in April. He played in 49 college games at Mississippi and was a third-team All-SEC selection in 2010.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...8eb_story.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/tag...-jean-baptiste

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-and-analysis

A lot of mocks had us drating this kid in the later rounds. He went undrafted and was signed by Baltimore. They thought enough of him to keep him on the roster through camp. I for one am glad to have another huge body on the roster. I did like Anunoby though. I guess you got to keep "trading up" in talent.

Yea Baptiste was one of the guys I thought we might take in a late round and had him in our mock thread as either a 6th or 7th rounder to us as at the who would be at worst a good and cheap stop gap during our 3/4 transition, and at best find out how to utilize his lack of height and massive size to clog the middle. Our scouts saw him first hand at RG3's pro day and from what I've seen other than Poe a few thought he may be in a few years the best 3-4 NT in this draft...but he has a long way to go for that.

Here is another scouting report on him from Walter football

4/25/12: Even though Jean-Baptiste was dominant at the East-West Shrine, he did not work out at the Combine. Throughout the week in Orlando, Jean-Baptiste showed major potential to be a nose tackle in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He was like a bowling ball, rolling through offensive linemen to cause disruption in the backfield. Everyone that went against him had problems with his bull rush.

Jean-Baptiste has natural pad level and consistently gets underneath the pads of offensive linemen to push them straight back. As a senior, he totaled 36 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks and three passes broken up.
    If Baptiste and Chapman (if he can get and stay healthy) work out we could be set at NT/DT for a long time.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 09-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.

vCash
    #Colts announce WR Austin Collie has been placed on IR, have signed WR Nathan Parker from San Francisco practice squad.
    Another Rook added to our WR core.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Roster move,signed CB Darius Butler n released G Trai Essex
    Here is a head scratcher....Not mad at butler who was an ex 2nd rounder, but not sure why why we would cut Essex....I would think that we would have dead weight at other spots that would be first in line as opposed to a guy who has filled in decently the past 2 weeks.

vCash
    Scouting report on Butler before the draft.

Darius Butler has flown under the radar for his entire career. Listed at 5-10 and 187 pounds, the Connecticut cornerback is used to being overlooked. Through his first three years with the Huskies, Butler has only missed one start. Even as a freshman he was obviously the team's best cover corner and that has not changed. He has racked up ten career interceptions heading into his junior campaign and he will even line up at wide receiver on occasion. Being a capable receiver, Butler has great hands to go along with his speed and quickness. There is not much stopping him from following in the footsteps of fellow Big East cornerbacks Darrelle Revis and Mike Jenkins and being selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. Making Butler appear even more attractive to NFL scouts is his ability to return kicks. Until his senior season, Butler was not the Huskies' main kickoff returner, so it will be interesting to see if he can emerge as a dangerous return man. If Butler's career continues as it has, he will easily be a first day selection. Since he plays at UConn and is 5-11, many outside of Big East country do not know much about him, but the NFL sure does. 1/14 Update: Unfortunately for Butler, the NFL also knows that he had an average senior season. He only tallied 40 tackles on the year and failed to intercept a pass (and his skills as a kick returner did not go very well either). He only averaged 23.6 yards per kick-off return and had a long of just 36 yards. Butler is still a talented player and much of that lack of production is due to the fact that the opposition avoided throwing in his direction. He may not be a first round selection anymore, but that can change with a solid showing at the combine. 4/16 Update: Butler is climbing back up draft boards after putting up some decent numbers at the NFL Combine and Connecticut's Pro Day. That could have moved him up into the first round. In fact, many teams will have Butler ahead of Illinois' Vontae Davis and Butler could be the second corner taken after Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins.
    They had some lofty expectations for him before the draft, and doing research on him he has dealt with his daughter having open heart surgery at the end of last year so I'm sure he hasn't had his mind on football for quite a while.

I'd really like to see him flourish here, and this could end up being a huge pickup for us.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 09-25-2012 at 12:04 PM.

vCash
    Baffled by the Colts not keeping Trai Essex... I thought he was definately a good fill-in and multi-dementional OLine guy who could be plugged in at various spots to help out and with a knowledge of the system... rather would have seen another backup OL cut instead or another player with little to no value, we def need to keep any OL of worth. That said, i am intrigued about signing Butler, hope he can right his career and get things going in the secondary, but want to know why he couldn't stick with the Patriots or even the Panthers.

vCash
    Essex provided great depth for this offensive line. There wasn't any other player we could have cut?

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Essex provided great depth for this offensive line. There wasn't any other player we could have cut?
    For example...the scrub that blew his coverage on Shorts and gave up the game winning TD?
    Last edited by Theriot2; 09-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theriot2 View Post
    For example...the scrub that blew his coverage on Shorts and gave up the game winning TD?
    My thoughts exactly.

vCash
    Roster news:

The Indianapolis Colts today signed center A.Q. Shipley to the active roster from their practice squad and added cornerback Marshay Green to the practice squad.

The team waived outside linebacker Marion Addison from to make room for Shipley on the active roster and released cornerback D.J. Johnson from the practice squad.

Shipley’s promotion could mean that Samson Satele, the Colts’ starting center, will be out for a time with a knee injury that forced him out of the 22-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 23.

Right guard Mike McGlynn played center in Satele’s absence.

The Colts play the Green Bay Packers on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Shipley (6-1, 309), a first-year player, played in the Colts season-opener at Chicago but was waived Sept. 10 and added to the practice squad the next day.

Green (5-10, 175) originally signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He was on the Cardinals’ active roster the final six games of that season and spent 2011 on the Arizona practice squad.
    Surprised Addison was cut?

<3

vCash
    My guess is that Freeney will return this week. That's what I got from the Addison move.

#iubb

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast