Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Ike Davis makes the most sense. With no clear 1B of the future, he could be a nice acquisition since he won't be a free agent until 2017.
    I would love Davis playing 1B for the Sox

Quote Originally Posted by greenwell39 View Post
    Hosmer would be my first choice, with Davis being a close second.
    I wouldn't want this BUM

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    If we are to flip Ellsbury to Texas in the offseason for Andrus, why not try acquiring Michael Young while we are at it to play 1st base? He's still a very good 'professional' right handed middle of the order type hitter that keeps the line rolling.

It's not like we can't afford him now for the next 2 years. I'd gladly take him because we're gonna need some veteran hitters to blend in with this mass of inexperience we're about to rely on next season and beyond.
    great idea I've always love MY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagofdonuts View Post
    I do not post very often and I am admittedly not as informed as a lot of posters. I do enjoy reading in the forums and I respect everyones opinion. However, I would like some input on a few thoughts that I have not seen mentioned to this point. (1) If he were available, what would it take to acquire a guy like Billy Butler and would he be a good fit in Fenway? (2) Could a guy like Cody Ross play first base? I guess what I am thinking here is a Nick Swisher type who could play some first/outfield/DH (cheaper than Swisher if he could play first) (3) Mauro Gomez, at the very least I would like him back for the bench but with a longer look at him he is growing on me. (4) Miguel Cabrerra, I know not exactly realistic...... but the Cabrerra third base experiment is failing in Detroit. He is a defensive liability there. I know a triple crown can make up for some poor defense but they basically have 3 first basemen if you include V-Mart(1b-DH-C?). There are rumblings that Detroit could be a fit for J. Hamilton and with an increasing payroll, a pitching staff that will be line for bigger pay days, and plenty of offense to go around, is it possible to pry Miggy loose and become the Red Sox new first baseman????? Thanks for your time.

I like the way your thinking. But I doubt they would trade him. I'd guess they would move V-mart first or even Fielder before they would move him

vCash
    Unless Miggy starts up again with the drinking or domestic abuse, the FO would be beheaded in Detroit if they deal him.

Much more likely is that Miggy and Fielder cover 1B and DH in som combo, and that they deal VMart. VMart is much more likely to end up in Boston (and that's not very likely at all) then Miggy.

I repeat Michael Young in 2013 in Boston would be a big mistake unless we get some other things we want badly.

His EQ'd slash is: .272/.305/.364 with 7 HR in almost 600 PA's. That ****ing sucks. He's getting paid huge money as well, and he hits like an OK SS or catcher. This bum at 1B? Morneau would be a bigger risk but also much more capable of a really good year. Plus MY is a Texas fan fav - let them keep him.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 09-20-2012 at 08:31 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    i say we just move WMB over there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    i say we just move WMB over there
    OK, outside of the fact his offense might be sort of weak for a 1B, who plays 3B?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    OK, outside of the fact his offense might be sort of weak for a 1B, who plays 3B?
    Agreed. Too soon. If he ups his BB's and becomes a good offensive 1B, then i wouldnt mind putting him there and Bogaerts at 3rd.

vCash
    Aviles at 3rd for 2013, Boegarts for 2014... WMB could still play a lot of 3B with 1st mixed in...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    Aviles at 3rd for 2013, Boegarts for 2014... WMB could still play a lot of 3B with 1st mixed in...
    They'll grab a full time 1B next year, i can almost guarantee it.

Davis or Morneau is what i think are the two most likely guys we may see. Davis would be a great get, i cant stress that enough. A young, power hitting lefty who plays solid D and walks a lot is perfect because in a couple years Ortiz will be gone and we will have no lefty power at all. Perfect fit.

Salty + Doubront

Salty + Aceves + mid spec

I really want to see this happen.

vCash
    Moreland anyone? What the Rangers want for him? Half the Ks of Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Moreland anyone? What the Rangers want for him? Half the Ks of Davis.
    Pass. He plays with favorable matchups usually this year and is older than Davis. Hes also only walking 6% of the time this year.

vCash
    Eric Hosmer or Ike Davis would be my top 2 choices. Hosmer especially, if we are getting younger he'd be a perfect add for the team to build around.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 49-62, games this week vs. Cardinals (3), Angels (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    Eric Hosmer or Ike Davis would be my top 2 choices. Hosmer especially, if we are getting younger he'd be a perfect add for the team to build around.
    Ike is 25, thats not old at all. He has more power and is a solid fielder, whereas Hosmer is bad in the field and looks like no more than a 25 HR guy.

I think Hosmer is too hyped. Unless he hits .300+ with his fielding and unspectacular pop he wont even be an above average 1B.

vCash
    Against lefties career wise:

Ike Davis: .219/.279/.367 (355 PA's)
    Hosmer is: .228/.283/.305 (364 PA's)

J Loney is: .249/.303/.356 (882 PA's)

I am depressed that anybody finds either of these guys to be interesting options at 1B. The fact that they are both equal too or inferior to Loney I also find worrying.

Loney and Davis are probably never going to get better with the stick than they are now. Hosmer is younger, and can steal some bases, although his fielding is worse than the other two.

Trading anything besides BV's used rain poncho to get one of these (or similar or worse) "players" is really distressing. Signing them to any contract other then a Minor League one is likewise ridiculous.

If we sign/trade for any of these 3 guys (or anyone similar or worse), then it's time to hang out the "sub .500 sign" for 2013.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 09-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Against lefties career wise:

Ike Davis: .219/.279/.367 (355 PA's)
    Hosmer is: .228/.283/.305 (364 PA's)

J Loney is: .249/.303/.356 (882 PA's)

I am depressed that anybody finds either of these guys to be interesting options at 1B. The fact that they are both equal too or inferior to Loney I also find worrying.

Loney and Davis are probably never going to get better with the stick than they are now. Hosmer is younger, and can steal some bases, although his fielding is worse than the other two.

Trading anything besides BV's used rain poncho to get one of these (or similar or worse) "players" is really distressing. Signing them to any contract other then a Minor League one is likewise ridiculous.

If we sign/trade for any of these 3 guys (or anyone similar or worse), then it's time to hang out the "sub .500 sign" for 2013.
    Davis' away splits are really impressive. Loney's were a notch better, but nothing like Davis'. I think he could pull a .700 OPS vs lefties here which isnt too bad considering the fact that our lineup will be righty heavy. I think youre overlooking him a bit.

you wouldnt trade Salty for Davis? I would. Its better than letting him walk in free agency next year, which looks like the probable course of action if he isnt dealt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Davis' away splits are really impressive. Loney's were a notch better, but nothing like Davis'. I think he could pull a .700 OPS vs lefties here which isnt too bad considering the fact that our lineup will be righty heavy. I think youre overlooking him a bit.

you wouldnt trade Salty for Davis? I would. Its better than letting him walk in free agency next year, which looks like the probable course of action if he isnt dealt.
    His SLG% on the road is better than at home by a marked degree, his OBP is only .010 higher, and w/o any data to the contrary, I assume he'll continue to be much weaker against lefties then righties in Boston (even if he produces .700 - he could be a .810 against righties), so he's still a platoon guy. Not to mention the NL -> AL change issues.

I'd rather move Salty as a piece for a SP, rather then one of several 1B available that are below 1B norms in hitting.

I don't get the reference to "righty heavy". Our OF is liable to produce near 80% of its PA's lefty. We'll have a lefty DH probably. I'd say a lefty at 1B is probably better for balance, but I'd much rather a really good bat of either hand, rather than a .770 OPS at 1B.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast