Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    That's what spring training and AAA is for. I'd rather Sands spent some time at AAA so that the Sox can see what he can do at that level outside of the PCL in a less hitter friendly environment before making any serious commitment to him on the big club.
    That's the approach we should do with every prospect that is close to ML-ready. Instead of just handing them roster spots, it's better they are fighting for it. If a prospect is too good to get sent down, so be it.

That basically goes for Rubby, Sands and maybe even Kalish + Lavarnway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    Great idea. I guess they'd rather flip Andrus for someone like JUpton, but if we agreed to take Young off of their hands, they might bite. We can totally afford Young for 2 years, even though he's expensive. The downside is he sucks at 1B (and every other position on the field) and DH is blocked by Ortiz.
    Doesn't seem worth it to me. Nice as Andrus is, the Sox would only have him guaranteed for 2 yrs. And doing an Ells for Andrus deal seem to me about getting some value greater than a single draft pick for Ells, not so much about looking for a long term future SS. Heck, given Andrus' own situation, the Sox could turn around and deal him in the following off season to get value for him for the same reason that they might trade Ells.

Taking on a guy like Young only seems worth the hassle and cost if you see the player you really want as a long term solution, rather than a short term one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    That's the approach we should do with every prospect that is close to ML-ready. Instead of just handing them roster spots, it's better they are fighting for it. If a prospect is too good to get sent down, so be it.

That basically goes for Rubby, Sands and maybe even Kalish + Lavarnway.
    Well, perhaps that too. But I think that in Sands case, there's a serious question about how much his offensive stats were inflated by his home AAA park and the PCL in general. So I think that the Sox shouldn't commit to a player with those questions before having a better sense of what they've got.

If the Sox had been able to get Sands immediately rather than as a PTBNL, they could have let him play on the big club this season, given that we're out of it, and done their assessment now. But next year is a clean slate, and I don't think that the Sox should be assessing someone as uncertain as Sands while they may have some chance of contending.

At least with someone like Lavarnway, the Sox will have a strong sense of what he can do at the MLB level. And it seems like the chances are pretty good that they would feel comfortable handing him the starting catcher's job, since his bat does seem to be coming around after some initial jitters this season.

vCash
    That's what spring training and AAA is for. I'd rather Sands spent some time at AAA so that the Sox can see what he can do at that level outside of the PCL in a less hitter friendly environment before making any serious commitment to him on the big club.
    Oh really that's what AAA is for? I guess Linares is going to be the next Jayson Werth.

I find that how a player performs in AA is far more telling than AAA. Would rather Sands get playing time at the major league level during a bridge year to get an accurate read at what we have going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Oh really that's what AAA is for? I guess Linares is going to be the next Jayson Werth.

I find that how a player performs in AA is far more telling than AAA. Would rather Sands get playing time at the major league level during a bridge year to get an accurate read at what we have going forward.
    That may be how you see it. But I see Sands as a unknown quantity and that the Sox should NOT waste giving him playing time until he's proven himself at AAA in a more hitter neutral environment than the PCL.

vCash
    That may be how you see it. But I see Sands as a unknown quantity and that the Sox should NOT waste giving him playing time until he's proven himself at AAA in a more hitter neutral environment than the PCL.
    No scout saw him as a starting 1B in the NL West, so i really doubt he'll be good enough for the AL East. Were better off trading Ellsbury and let him play LF until Bradley gets called up next year.

vCash
    I do not post very often and I am admittedly not as informed as a lot of posters. I do enjoy reading in the forums and I respect everyones opinion. However, I would like some input on a few thoughts that I have not seen mentioned to this point. (1) If he were available, what would it take to acquire a guy like Billy Butler and would he be a good fit in Fenway? (2) Could a guy like Cody Ross play first base? I guess what I am thinking here is a Nick Swisher type who could play some first/outfield/DH (cheaper than Swisher if he could play first) (3) Mauro Gomez, at the very least I would like him back for the bench but with a longer look at him he is growing on me. (4) Miguel Cabrerra, I know not exactly realistic...... but the Cabrerra third base experiment is failing in Detroit. He is a defensive liability there. I know a triple crown can make up for some poor defense but they basically have 3 first basemen if you include V-Mart(1b-DH-C?). There are rumblings that Detroit could be a fit for J. Hamilton and with an increasing payroll, a pitching staff that will be line for bigger pay days, and plenty of offense to go around, is it possible to pry Miggy loose and become the Red Sox new first baseman????? Thanks for your time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagofdonuts View Post
    I do not post very often and I am admittedly not as informed as a lot of posters. I do enjoy reading in the forums and I respect everyones opinion. However, I would like some input on a few thoughts that I have not seen mentioned to this point. (1) If he were available, what would it take to acquire a guy like Billy Butler and would he be a good fit in Fenway? (2) Could a guy like Cody Ross play first base? I guess what I am thinking here is a Nick Swisher type who could play some first/outfield/DH (cheaper than Swisher if he could play first) (3) Mauro Gomez, at the very least I would like him back for the bench but with a longer look at him he is growing on me. (4) Miguel Cabrerra, I know not exactly realistic...... but the Cabrerra third base experiment is failing in Detroit. He is a defensive liability there. I know a triple crown can make up for some poor defense but they basically have 3 first basemen if you include V-Mart(1b-DH-C?). There are rumblings that Detroit could be a fit for J. Hamilton and with an increasing payroll, a pitching staff that will be line for bigger pay days, and plenty of offense to go around, is it possible to pry Miggy loose and become the Red Sox new first baseman????? Thanks for your time.
    I think V-Mart will probably be traded, but i cant see any team trading away a triple crown candidate.

Billy Butler would cost a lot and is a major fan favorite. It would kill Kansas fans to see him go unless they got a huge return, which he isnt really worth. Im sure he would hit well here though.

vCash
    Would Justin Smoak be considered to be on the scrap heap at this point or will Seattle give him another shot next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chomaru View Post
    Would Justin Smoak be considered to be on the scrap heap at this point or will Seattle give him another shot next year?
    I think hes bad, he just cant make contact.

vCash
    Doesn't seem worth it to me. Nice as Andrus is, the Sox would only have him guaranteed for 2 yrs. And doing an Ells for Andrus deal seem to me about getting some value greater than a single draft pick for Ells, not so much about looking for a long term future SS. Heck, given Andrus' own situation, the Sox could turn around and deal him in the following off season to get value for him for the same reason that they might trade Ells.

Taking on a guy like Young only seems worth the hassle and cost if you see the player you really want as a long term solution, rather than a short term one.
    I might be off, but Andrus seems much more likely to sign an extension. But with our luck at SS, he's either gone after 2 years or he sucks.

Well, of course there are a million better options than Young, but this might be the price to get Andrus. And I wouldn't want to mess around with this idea, I like Elvis a lot.
    Ells is heating up, I still think his value is somewhat intact, not as good as "post-2011", but "other teams would lick their chops to get him" intact.
    We better ca$h in.

vCash
    I gotta think Ellsbury is worth more then Andrus and Young (as a negative net worth guy)

Plus Young is a fan fav in Texas, they'll just sit on him I think.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Young? he's a shelled now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ricomactaco View Post
    Nobody mentioned Napoli. Had a bad year and may be had for cheap
    He was on my original list in the post-starting thread. He's had a bad year, but I still don't think he'll be cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    He was on my original list in the post-starting thread. He's had a bad year, but I still don't think he'll be cheap.
    or if he will want to play first full time

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast