Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Bags I think the market has changed, Morneau is certainly not that valuable anymore. 1 year left on his contract, declining #'s and health concerns. Players who don't have team control are not worth that much anymore. Most I'd offer for Morneau is Chris Hernandez and a bullpen piece.
    Throw them Hernandez/BP guy and Aviles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Salty, Workman, (Pimentel or Hazelbaker), Iglesias, and Salties salary for '13 for Morneau and Jared Burton (high K, good control set-up coming up to year 3 in arb)
    I like that deal for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    i didn't know we wanted to get rid of moreales, i probably would have heard about it, i mean depending on what the offer is for sure, but i wouldn't just give him away for nothing.

i didn't know you platooned switch hitters?
    Really? Maybe you ought to look up his splits.

career vs LHP: .250/.286/.416

His best year was 2009, his splits vs LHP sucked that year too. Overrated and a platoon waiting to hapopen. Where did you get the idea that a SH can't be platooned? Is that comic book stuff or what?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Bags I think the market has changed, Morneau is certainly not that valuable anymore. 1 year left on his contract, declining #'s and health concerns. Players who don't have team control are not worth that much anymore. Most I'd offer for Morneau is Chris Hernandez and a bullpen piece.
    Maybe you missed the details of the trade. We get back a stud reliever - Burton, and are giving up not very much in return. Unless you think Pimentel and Iglesias are worth very much, along with Salty and Workman - who might be OK.

Minny is certainly making noises about how much they want for Morneau.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    I like that deal for us.
    Come to think it, we'll keep Salty's money.

vCash
    Come to think it, we'll keep Salty's money.
    I dont even think that would be necessary though.

vCash
    Give me one of Davis, Belt, Hosmer, Morneau, and Smoak or give me a frown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Give me one of Davis, Belt, Hosmer, Morneau, and Smoak or give me a frown.
    Same, but it'd cost a lot to get Davis/Belt/Hosmer.

Previously I wanted one of them, but then I thought that I'd rather have WMB play 1B in 2014-2015 and have Bogaerts play 3B.

So, I'd want Smoak or Morneau for the short term. Plus they're cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    Same, but it'd cost a lot to get Davis/Belt/Hosmer.

Previously I wanted one of them, but then I thought that I'd rather have WMB play 1B in 2014-2015 and have Bogaerts play 3B.

So, I'd want Smoak or Morneau for the short term. Plus they're cheap.
    We cant even be sure about WMB yet so i think that really shouldnt be part of the thought process at this point.

vCash
    My mistake, his UZR is actually good at 1B. But his wRC+ is going down consistently now, and it is true that he only hits well in August. Lol no chance you guys get a compensation pick for him.
    where are you guys getting this he only hits well in august stuff from? Look at his 2010 numbers the ones he put up in the first third of the season, which btw isn't played in august. Are you only looking at just this year? Also, we will get a draft pick + a comp depending on how he does next year, if he only hits well in august then we probably wont make a qualifying offer, if he plays like he did in 2009 or 2010 before his injury than you better believe that we will make a qualifying offer. Because it wouldn't make sense to let him go and get nothing.
    Really? Maybe you ought to look up his splits.

career vs LHP: .250/.286/.416

His best year was 2009, his splits vs LHP sucked that year too. Overrated and a platoon waiting to happen. Where did you get the idea that a SH can't be platooned? Is that comic book stuff or what?
    when you look at his career spilts your really only looking at 2009 2010 and 2012 because he didn't play a full season in the 3 previous years combined, he hadn't really developed yet. Also, in 2009 he had a .296 avg with a .481 slug% granted it was in 135 at bats but still, and yeah he is better against right handers, but most switch hitters are better against one or the other
    Maybe you missed the details of the trade. We get back a stud reliever - Burton, and are giving up not very much in return. Unless you think Pimentel and Iglesias are worth very much, along with Salty and Workman - who might be OK.

Minny is certainly making noises about how much they want for Morneau.
    to quote you,
    Overrated and a platoon waiting to happen.
    why do you want Justin Morneau, look at his splits post concision, at this point he is all name, big contract and platoon waiting to happen. and since you hate those guys is the trade you proposed just for a reliever close to free agency, that seems weird that you would want to pick up a big contract platoon first basemen for just a reliever, wouldn't it be easier to just trade for him and ignore Morneau all together?
    Last edited by ciaban; 10-19-2012 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    where are you guys getting this he only hits well in august stuff from? Look at his 2010 numbers the ones he put up in the first third of the season, which btw isn't played in august. Are you only looking at just this year? Also, we will get a draft pick + a comp depending on how he does next year, if he only hits well in august then we probably wont make a qualifying offer, if he plays like he did in 2009 or 2010 before his injury than you better believe that we will make a qualifying offer. Because it wouldn't make sense to let him go and get nothing.

when you look at his career spilts your really only looking at 2009 2010 and 2012 because he didn't play a full season in the 3 previous years combined, he hadn't really developed yet. Also, in 2009 he had a .296 avg with a .481 slug% granted it was in 135 at bats but still, and yeah he is better against right handers, but most switch hitters are better against one or the other.
    sOPS+ splits by year vs RHP and LHP

'12 110 - 099
    '10 164 - 048
    '09 144 - 105

Kills RHP, and is below league average against LHP in his best 3 years combined and more so career wise.

Why do you want Justin Morneau, look at his splits post concision, at this point he is all name, big contract and platoon waiting to happen.
    • He can still field well
    • 2012 was a solid step over 2011
    • He rakes in Fenway
    • He hits LHP better than Morales career wise
    • He won't cost that much to deal for
    • He's only 2 years older than KM, and has done a lot more
    • Morneau didn't miss a whole year and most of another within the last 3 years. if Morneau wasn't a gamer his stats would look even better

vCash
    Morneau is the perfect shorter term solution IMO. He could probably buy us a few years at 1B.

vCash
    Morneau is the perfect shorter term solution IMO. He could probably buy us a few years at 1B.
    If the price is right. Maybe...but, he is a VERY HIGH RISK player right now. Concussions are weird injury. The slightest bump, or jerk can make the residuals pop up, and could possibly sideline him for an entire year.

So if they did make a deal for him, they better sign a back-up for him just incase.

I dunno if he is worth the risk making a deal for if they end up having to replace him if anything happens to him.

IMO I'd rather go for Smoak, Davis, or Butler. More expensive but younger, under control, and more reliable.
    Last edited by wolf82; 10-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    If the price is right. Maybe...but, he is a VERY HIGH RISK player right now. Concussions are weird injury. The slightest bump, or jerk can make the residuals pop up, and could possibly sideline him for an entire year.

So if they did make a deal for him, they better sign a back-up for him just incase.

I dunno if he is worth the risk making a deal for if they end up having to replace him if anything happens to him.

IMO I'd rather go for Smoak, Davis, or Butler. More expensive but younger, under control, and more reliable.
    All with less upside, and all not proven Fenway mashers.

vCash
    All with less upside, and all not proven Fenway mashers.
    Morneau's upside was prior to his injuries. Look at Corey Koskie, and Matt Matheny both had concussions that ended their careers. I mean Morneau still hasn't bounced back, and he may never be what he was before.

IMO Morneau is a HIGH RISK that unless he comes literally for nothing and the Twins take responsability for all of his $$, he should be at the bottom of the Sox's list for a 1B option.
    Last edited by wolf82; 10-19-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast