Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wonder if Kalish can play 1B? Obviously this is just throwing **** at a wall to see if it sticks, but he's got a good bat, he's a lefty and he's obviously a better athlete than we've had at first historically.

I know it takes away arguably his biggest asset in his D but with JBJ and Brentz on the farm, Ross in the fold for a couple years (hopefully) and Sweeny/ Nava type guys around, it may be worth taking a look at mitigating his injury risk and move him to 1B if he's capable of playing it.
    Perfection.

vCash
    Kubel is a platoon hitter. .238/.308/.383 against lefties. He's never played 1B in his ML career. He's a well below average fielder (LF in Fenway). He's owed $15M over the next two years. He'll be 31 in May. We should be able to get him for a song plus taking on the money - to play LF/DH/PH. He's a very good Fenway hitter. I'd do it - but not for 1B - and we'd have to move other LHH OF as well (Sweeney (no arb) and Ellsbury). A good #6 hitter after WMB. Something like a Ross situation (rebuilding value) - but he's not as fiery as Ross.

I have avoided thinking of the line-up for 2013 as a whole, here goes Rev 1:

RF Ross (he's done it well before and has a pulse)
    2B Pedroia
    1B Morneau (risky, but it's just the 1 year)
    DH Ortiz (like death and taxes)
    3B Middlebrooks
    LF Kubel
    SS Aviles/?
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    CF Kalish/Posednick

A bit low on the OBP. Not the usual elite BRS runs scored numbers, also vulnerable to plus pitchers.

But, w/o blowing up the farm, what else can you do but something like this? It's possible dealing Ellsbury gets us more back than getting Morneau and Kubel - or at least close. Same with Salty if we move him.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-17-2012 at 09:33 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Kubel is a platoon hitter. .238/.308/.383 against lefties. He's never played 1B in his ML career. He's a well below average fielder (LF in Fenway). He's owed $15M over the next two years. He'll be 31 in May. We should be able to get him for a song plus taking on the money - to play LF/DH/PH. He's a very good Fenway hitter. I'd do it - but not for 1B - and we'd have to move other LHH OF as well (Sweeney (no arb) and Ellsbury). A good #6 hitter after WMB. Something like a Ross situation (rebuilding value) - but he's not as fiery as Ross.

I have avoided thinking of the line-up for 2013 as a whole, here goes Rev 1:

2B Pedroia
    3B Middlebrooks
    LF Kubel
    SS Aviles/?
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    CF Kalish/Posednick

A bit low on the OBP. Not the usual elite BRS runs scored numbers, also vulnerable to plus pitchers.

But, w/o blowing up the farm, what else can you do but something like this? It's possible dealing Ellsbury gets us more back than getting Morneau and Kubel - or at least close. Same with Salty if we move him.
    I like the idea of adding Morneau. It is risky, but when healthy he can hit.

I do like Kubel, but he can't hit lefties. What about Delmon Young? He is a RH OF who does have pop. He is considered expendable next year when V-Mart comes back. Could be a nice RH compliment to Kubel if they have a tough lefty on the mound, and probably would come cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    I like the idea of adding Morneau. It is risky, but when healthy he can hit.

I do like Kubel, but he can't hit lefties. What about Delmon Young? He is a RH OF who does have pop. He is considered expendable next year when V-Mart comes back. Could be a nice RH compliment to Kubel if they have a tough lefty on the mound, and probably would come cheap.
    Delmon Young? He can't hit righties. He's too much $ I think ($6.75M last year). He's a poor fielder as well.

Maybe, but it would have to be pretty cheap.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Delmon Young's approach is a joke.

I like Mourneau too and I think he could use a change of scenery.

The more I read the more I get the sense that Cherrington won't trade Ellsbury this offseason. I will say that if the return is Holland it may be wiser to hope he has a monster first half next season.

vCash
    In that park Lackey is arguably good. Plus they control him for 3 years for a bucks more then Santana who we'd only have for one.

Of course it will be hard. But Davis isn't worth the boatload claimed, if they hold too hard to that, they'll get nothing.
    Ya Davis would basically be a Platoon player on the Sox

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post

The more I read the more I get the sense that Cherrington won't trade Ellsbury this offseason. I will say that if the return is Holland it may be wiser to hope he has a monster first half next season.

If Delmon Young comes cheap (like cody ross's deal). Why not? He is only 2 years from hitting .298 21 HR and 112 RBI with the Twins, and is a career.307 avg hitter against lefties with an OPS of .824.
    Last edited by wolf82; 10-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    If Delmon Young comes cheap (like cody ross's deal). Why not? He is only 2 years from hitting .298 21 HR and 112 RBI with the Twins, and is a career.307 avg hitter against lefties with an OPS of .824.
    If we already have Cody Ross whats the point of getting a guy who hits lefties only, plays bad defense, and never walks? We dont need two OF who dont hit well vs. righties. Three if you count Sands. The most i give Young is 1y/$2.5M

vCash

Wow, I think we'd be lucky to get Holland for Ells. DO IT!

vCash
    2B Pedroia
    3B Middlebrooks
    LF Kubel
    SS Aviles/?
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    CF Kalish/Posednick
    I like Morneau. How much would he cost?

I still don't think Ells gets traded in the offseason.

I'd trade Salty, but who knows at this point. My best guess is:

CF Ells
    2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Morneau
    3B WMB
    RF Ross
    LF Kalish/???
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    SS Ciriaco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post

CF Ells
    2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Morneau
    3B WMB
    RF Ross
    LF Kalish/???
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    SS Ciriaco
    A source indicated that opposing teams have expressed interest in Tyler Moore. The Nats may also look at trading Michael Morse. Both players are best suited for first base and their fit in Washington will hinge largely on what happens with LaRoche.

What about asking the Nats what they want for Morse? Possibly a trade to include Ells?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post

CF Ells
    2B Pedroia
    DH Ortiz
    1B Morneau
    3B WMB
    RF Ross
    LF Kalish/???
    C Lavarnway/Salty
    SS Ciriaco
    I just read the other day the Sox are not interested in trading Ells - which could be for real, or the classic move to drum up interest. I'm pretty sure if the offer is enough, he's gone.

I'm more sure Salty will be dealt, and Aceves too.

As for Morneau, the Twins are holding the much fatter contract of Mauer which is going to be painful either way to deal with. By unloading Morneau it helps them with Mauer at least for this year, and they get specs.

Assuming he passes a physical and we pay all the money. I'd say 1 good kid, 1 flier kid, and a guy with some ML experience - the pro has to be cheap with more years of control - they don't like to spend money except for 2-3 players and they have Mauer, Willingham (who also had 1 year to go), and Morneau.

Come to think of it they might take Salty, and move Mauer to mostly 1B if they deal Morneau.

Salty, Workman, (Pimentel or Hazelbaker), Iglesias, and Salties salary for '13 for Morneau and Jared Burton (high K, good control set-up coming up to year 3 in arb)
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    I'd take a chance on Ike Davis, and Morales. Seems like both teams wanna get rid of them. The Mets seem to want Duda at 1st, and the Angels have Pujols at 1st. So both seem expendible.
    i didn't know we wanted to get rid of moreales, i probably would have heard about it, i mean depending on what the offer is for sure, but i wouldn't just give him away for nothing.
    He has one good hitting month all year (seriously). He's a platoon hitter too.
    i didn't know you platooned switch hitters? and he was coming off an awful ankel injury that side lined him for a year and a half, look at how he was doing in 2010 before the injury, he wasn't fully healthy yet, the injury he had takes about 2 years before your back to full strength, and he came in and played great D when pujols strained his calf.
    I would rather have Mauro Gomez start at 1B than have to trade for Morales. That guy is good in August, thats it, is bad defensively, and declines more and more every year.
    when did he start playing Bad D, he is pretty good at the position and made every angel fan forget all about Mark Texiera when he left, and what the hell do you mean by declining every year? He is 29. He had a great 2009 was putting up great numbers in 2010 and then got hurt, missed a year and a half, wasn't healthy to start the season but eventually turned it around, im happy with moreales, i won't cry if he is traded, but if we do i would want something decent back, because i fully believe that he will play well enough to warrant an arbitration off and will bring back draft picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    i didn't know we wanted to get rid of moreales, i probably would have heard about it, i mean depending on what the offer is for sure, but i wouldn't just give him away for nothing.

i didn't know you platooned switch hitters? and he was coming off an awful ankel injury that side lined him for a year and a half, look at how he was doing in 2010 before the injury, he wasn't fully healthy yet, the injury he had takes about 2 years before your back to full strength, and he came in and played great D when pujols strained his calf.

when did he start playing Bad D, he is pretty good at the position and made every angel fan forget all about Mark Texiera when he left, and what the hell do you mean by declining every year? He is 29. He had a great 2009 was putting up great numbers in 2010 and then got hurt, missed a year and a half, wasn't healthy to start the season but eventually turned it around, im happy with moreales, i won't cry if he is traded, but if we do i would want something decent back, because i fully believe that he will play well enough to warrant an arbitration off and will bring back draft picks.
    My mistake, his UZR is actually good at 1B. But his wRC+ is going down consistently now, and it is true that he only hits well in August. Lol no chance you guys get a compensation pick for him.

vCash
    Bags I think the market has changed, Morneau is certainly not that valuable anymore. 1 year left on his contract, declining #'s and health concerns. Players who don't have team control are not worth that much anymore. Most I'd offer for Morneau is Chris Hernandez and a bullpen piece.

Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast