Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    I would take Johan's contract in the right deal.
    Well maybe the Mets and Red Sox exchange ideas over the offseason.

There's a lot of money still owed to Johan though, almost 31 million dollars to be exact (with the buyout of 2014)

The Mets are looking to deal him (if they can) but i am not sure if they would take on a significant portion of his salary next year if they did.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-15-2012 at 02:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Mets need OF help but Ellsbury wouldn't happen because they would have no intention on re-signing him after next season.

The injury problems with Ellsbury 2 out of the last 3 seasons is a concern as well.

We don't expect anyone to Jason's contract btw lol, the Mets know he is completely untradeable.

How do you guys feel about Johan though?
    I know what you're saying, but consider this...

2010: While trying to catch a fly ball, Ellsbury runs into brick wall named Adrian Beltre.

2012: While trying to steal 2B (in the home opener no less), the 2B-man lands squarely on his shoulder.

It's not like Ellsbury had a little ouchie and turned it into federal case. It actually took quite a lot for him to get hurt. I'm not so sure that it's that he's injury prone and much as bad luck on his part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    I know what you're saying, but consider this...

2010: While trying to catch a fly ball, Ellsbury runs into brick wall named Adrian Beltre.

2012: While trying to steal 2B (in the home opener no less), the 2B-man lands squarely on his shoulder.

It's not like Ellsbury had a little ouchie and turned it into federal case. It actually took quite a lot for him to get hurt. I'm not so sure that it's that he's injury prone and much as bad luck on his part.
    True but being durable is being durable either way.

I'll grant you it isn't that he rolls an ankle is out for 6 weeks, but sometime guys are more injury proned because they are too aggressive or they put themselves in situations where the risk of injury is higher.

Like i said it's kind of a moot point anyway, because the Mets are in no position to add significant salary or re-sign what it would cost to keep Ellsbury.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-16-2012 at 12:00 AM.

vCash
    I would take Bay or Santana if it means we can get Davis for very little. Bay fills in the outfield, we hope he finds his stroke again. Davis slots in at 1B.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norieaga View Post
    I would take Bay or Santana if it means we can get Davis for very little. Bay fills in the outfield, we hope he finds his stroke again. Davis slots in at 1B.
    Bay was badly injured in '06, and has been in decline since then. He left here on terrible terms (his own doing for the most part). He is worth about .14 cents on the dollar on his contract. There is no way he's coming here to help make a deal for someone as limited as Davis.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I agree with Bags, Davis is someone who I would platoon at 1B with someone who can mash LHP.

vCash
    Im hoping that if we get him Papi can give him some tips on hitting LHP. They have very similar body types and i think Papi may be able to share a bit of knowledge with Davis given the progression Ortiz has made against LHP over his career. For the immediate future, i think Sands would be solid in that platoon 1B role and his OF capability gives him a bit more value off of the bench as well.

vCash
    I don't see how it would make any sense to give up prospects for Ike Davis, when we're a rebuilding team with money to spend and Adam Laroche is essentially the same player. Look at the last three years.

LaRoche - 339 games, .252/.336/.461, .345 wOBA
    Davis - 348 games, .255/.327/.462, .340 wOBA

They're similar defensively as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardRounder View Post
    I don't see how it would make any sense to give up prospects for Ike Davis, when we're a rebuilding team with money to spend and Adam Laroche is essentially the same player. Look at the last three years.

Yeah but Ike is younger, more controllable, and still can be worked with to fix his batting issues.

vCash
    Im hoping that if we get him Papi can give him some tips on hitting LHP. They have very similar body types and i think Papi may be able to share a bit of knowledge with Davis given the progression Ortiz has made against LHP over his career.
    Davis has been getting serious coaching for about 10 years. I'm sure he's heard everything in almost every way. Getting some tips from the Papi-whisperer will help him less than hitting in Fenway and other small parks in the AL.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Davis has been getting serious coaching for about 10 years. I'm sure he's heard everything in almost every way. Getting some tips from the Papi-whisperer will help him less than hitting in Fenway and other small parks in the AL.
    Haha probably so. Hes young though, i think he would be able to improve as his carer progresses. In the mean time they can platoon him all they want.

.902 away OPS. Why not give him a shot if hes not costing the farm? If they do platoon him his numbers would probably looks insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardRounder View Post

LaRoche is looking for pretty nice money, after his nice year this year. In Fenway he's liable to pull a: .285/.325/.455 with a lot of 2B's and few HR's. His glove isn't very good anymore. The issues would be length of contract, he could fade off quickly. If we could get him for 2 year at short money - say $12M for 2, I'd much rather do that than give up specs for Davis. But LaRoche is liable to sign for 3 years and $24M or more - and I don't seem him as worth that either.

vCash
    Haha probably so. Hes young though, i think he would be able to improve as his carer progresses. In the mean time they can platoon him all they want.

.902 away OPS. Why not give him a shot if hes not costing the farm? If they do platoon him his numbers would probably looks insane.
    Yes, if he's guarded from the 30 toughest pitchers he'd face and use that to be regular rest for him, he could be a .925 sort of hitter. I am afraid the asking price is going to be high however.

Webster, Owens, Brentz is the sort of package I expect that they'd want - minimum.

Santana is getting $25.5M next year, no way I'd take him, unless Lackey is part of what goes back.

OK, that's my deal:

Davis, Santana

for

Owens, Lackey, Pimental, Brentz, Iglesias

We give up a very nice spec, a young promising spec, a meh spec, a banjo bat SS, and a bum SP

and get a broken SP - but a real professional, and a decent 1B.

Mets can flip Iglesias easy enough if they like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Yes, if he's guarded from the 30 toughest pitchers he'd face and use that to be regular rest for him, he could be a .925 sort of hitter. I am afraid the asking price is going to be high however.

Webster, Owens, Brentz is the sort of package I expect that they'd want - minimum.

Santana is getting $25.5M next year, no way I'd take him, unless Lackey is part of what goes back.

OK, that's my deal:

Davis, Santana

for

Owens, Lackey, Pimental, Brentz, Iglesias

We give up a very nice spec, a young promising spec, a meh spec, a banjo bat SS, and a bum SP

and get a broken SP - but a real professional, and a decent 1B.

Mets can flip Iglesias easy enough if they like.

I'd do this deal in a heart beat. But I'm hoping for Lackey to be better then Santana next year.

vCash
    I hate to burst your bubble but the Mets would not take Lackey's contract, they are looking to rid themselves of bad contracts not add another one like Lackey's.

It's going to be difficult to make a deal i think.

The Mets are zapped for power in the first place, and sources close to the Mets say they would want a "boatload" in return for Davis.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast