Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Better FA. Better trade. Who knows. The most we go for now is a deal - maybe the Mets or KC. Whatever it is we get, its almost for sure not a franchise level player.
    I wouldnt rule out Belt or Hosmer. They could be great players. I dont see Hosmer as a possibility though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    I wouldnt rule out Belt or Hosmer. They could be great players. I dont see Hosmer as a possibility though.
    If SF views Posey's future as more of a first baseman, rather than a catcher,( which I think they will) then yeah, Belt may be possible.

Hosmer took a little step back this year,and I agree that a deal for him would seem unlikely. He is still only 22, so they have some time with him, and I doubt they give him away.

vCash
    Better FA. Better trade. Who knows. The most we go for now is a deal - maybe the Mets or KC. Whatever it is we get, its almost for sure not a franchise level player.
    Might also throw Minnesota into the mix as well. Morneau has 1 year left, at big money though, $15M+ I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taffi101 View Post
    Might also throw Minnesota into the mix as well. Morneau has 1 year left, at big money though, $15M+ I believe.
    I'd say between Berkman, Ortiz, and Morneau we'll end up with one, and maybe two. We get the presence in the line-up, but nothing will be long term with these guys.

Berkman might be able to squeeze out 50 games in LF in Fenway. The AL has caused him problems however.

Ortiz is Ortiz. Decline and injuries are stalking him now.

Morneau - if he passes the physicals could be worth it, since Minny couldn't expect full value for such a risky player.

Still, we have to try and bag a #3 SP, and that player is liable to want more then the 1-2 years these hitters are at.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I'd say between Berkman, Ortiz, and Morneau we'll end up with one, and maybe two. We get the presence in the line-up, but nothing will be long term with these guys.

Berkman might be able to squeeze out 50 games in LF in Fenway. The AL has caused him problems however.

Ortiz is Ortiz. Decline and injuries are stalking him now.

Morneau - if he passes the physicals could be worth it, since Minny couldn't expect full value for such a risky player.

Still, we have to try and bag a #3 SP, and that player is liable to want more then the 1-2 years these hitters are at.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read in the Boston Globe today or maybe yesterday, I can't remember, I'm in fall vacation mode right now, but was Jerry Sands thrown in the mix as well?

Berkman is interesting. I think you have to wring the cloth pretty tight to get 50 OF games out of him, but LF in Fenway? Maybe...

He looked lost those 35+ games in NY. He does however have a good slash line of .289/.387/.512/.899 in interleague play career-wise. (648 AB's)
    Not much of a sample in Fenway however 4-14 (h/AB's).

Yes, Ortiz, holding my breath waiting...

This is the year they take a stab at Edwin Jackson for the #3 spot I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Ahh, but can the Sox get that "way better than Loney" 1B-man for a price that they're willing to pay? That's the real question.
    The Sox are trying to get younger and more talented at the same time, this through prospects.

They can do this within a few years, but they don't really have a prospect 1B besides Sands, and who knows with him yet.

Granted a trade would cost some specs, but I'd rather try that than an overpriced stop-gap.

vCash
    Mike morse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    The Sox are trying to get younger and more talented at the same time, this through prospects.

They can do this within a few years, but they don't really have a prospect 1B besides Sands, and who knows with him yet.

Granted a trade would cost some specs, but I'd rather try that than an overpriced stop-gap.
    But are THEY willing to pay the price in specs for one of those guys like Smoak or Ike Davis, etc. With the "over-priced stop-gap" they're only giving up money. And unless the Sox see a player they are willing to pay the price in specs to get, I think that they'd rather just give up the money for the stop gap.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read in the Boston Globe today or maybe yesterday, I can't remember, I'm in fall vacation mode right now, but was Jerry Sands thrown in the mix as well?

Berkman is interesting. I think you have to wring the cloth pretty tight to get 50 OF games out of him, but LF in Fenway? Maybe...

He looked lost those 35+ games in NY. He does however have a good slash line of .289/.387/.512/.899 in interleague play career-wise. (648 AB's)
    Not much of a sample in Fenway however 4-14 (h/AB's).

Yes, Ortiz, holding my breath waiting...

This is the year they take a stab at Edwin Jackson for the #3 spot I think.
    Yup Jackson is the most likely signing to me at this point if they want that mid rotation guy.

Sands? He's not over 30 with no big history behind him. He's a kid that we have to trade for, so he's not in my FA list either. He goes in the Ike bucket.

Sands career: .244/.325/.376 and was a 25th round selection.

Why trade for Mauro Gomez (.275/.324/.422) when we already have him?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Yup Jackson is the most likely signing to me at this point if they want that mid rotation guy.

Sands? He's not over 30 with no big history behind him. He's a kid that we have to trade for, so he's not in my FA list either. He goes in the Ike bucket.

Sands career: .244/.325/.376 and was a 25th round selection.

Why trade for Mauro Gomez (.275/.324/.422) when we already have him?
    Ummm...... We dont have to trade for Sands, we already did. He came over from the Dodgers, right? Although I dont think he's the answer either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
    Ummm...... We dont have to trade for Sands, we already did. He came over from the Dodgers, right? Although I dont think he's the answer either.
    Ahhh yes... old age strikes again! He didn't play for the Sox after the deal so I filed him away. Sure let Gomez and Sands battle it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    But are THEY willing to pay the price in specs for one of those guys like Smoak or Ike Davis, etc. With the "over-priced stop-gap" they're only giving up money. And unless the Sox see a player they are willing to pay the price in specs to get, I think that they'd rather just give up the money for the stop gap.
    Agreed.

Smoak I'm not sold on. Playing in Seattle by all accounts sucks, and may be the main culprit in his struggles, but what might the cost be? They are certainly not going to hand over a first year arb guy for nothing, even with his struggles.

Ike Davis I really don't know enough about him, but I can definitely guess the Mets will want a pretty hefty return.

If we can get a stop gap guy for short years and cheaper money, I think that is the way to go. Wait for better FA, or trade options..........

vCash
    Smoak I'm not sold on. Playing in Seattle by all accounts sucks, and may be the main culprit in his struggles, but what might the cost be? They are certainly not going to hand over a first year arb guy for nothing, even with his struggles.
    Seattle has two good SS specs, a great C spec, but has lots of holes in their OF. Brentz for Smoak might work and i would do that. Both have red flags, but both have power. Seattle gets someone who is a bit younger, under control for a longer period of time, and fills a hole on the diamond for them.

vCash
    I would not trade Brentz for Smoak. You are overrating Smoak by quite a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    I would not trade Brentz for Smoak. You are overrating Smoak by quite a bit.
    Sure i am, but youre also taking a chance on his september being semi-real. Honestly not many scouts have faith in Brentz, and we as a fanbase overrate him too. His defense is nothing special, he strikes out a ton, and has problems with his approach. He is expendable. Whether i would trade him for Smoak depends on several things like what other moves we make or whatever options we have. It may not be ideal but its not something that would be insane.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast