Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    If we are to flip Ellsbury to Texas in the offseason for Andrus, why not try acquiring Michael Young while we are at it to play 1st base? He's still a very good 'professional' right handed middle of the order type hitter that keeps the line rolling.

It's not like we can't afford him now for the next 2 years. I'd gladly take him because we're gonna need some veteran hitters to blend in with this mass of inexperience we're about to rely on next season and beyond.
    If Ellsbury gets traded it will involve at least one young arm guaranteed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    If Ellsbury gets traded it will involve at least one young arm guaranteed.
    I under stand it will take a little more than Ells. But, if they decided to trade Ells + ? for Andrus, we could also see if Moreland can be packaged with him. He is decent option at first , and with Olt in the waiting he is movable.

vCash
    If we are to flip Ellsbury to Texas in the offseason for Andrus, why not try acquiring Michael Young while we are at it to play 1st base? He's still a very good 'professional' right handed middle of the order type hitter that keeps the line rolling.

It's not like we can't afford him now for the next 2 years. I'd gladly take him because we're gonna need some veteran hitters to blend in with this mass of inexperience we're about to rely on next season and beyond.
    Let's see... Michael Young is a poor value?

1. Terrible D at 3B, SS, 2B, 1B

2. He's a good hitter historically (helped by a huge offensive home park), but this year he was brutal: .274/.307/.364 - 75 OPS+ - what's he got? 7 HR's?

His contract is $16M for 2013 plus $15M deferred which I have no idea how that's set up, but it's there.

If we sign Ortiz, Young can't hang out at DH to keep his glove off the field.

Only take this guy if something very sweet comes with him - or maybe Lackey gets sent over there.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 09-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    the mets would rather trade lucas duda than ike davis, dont see them trading him

redsox could sign Nick swisher for 1b

or carlos lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    the mets would rather trade lucas duda than ike davis, dont see them trading him

redsox could sign Nick swisher for 1b

or carlos lee
    From what I read they want to move Duda to 1st, and they have concerns with Davis's life style, and work ethic.

"Ike Davis was surprised and confused to hear that the Mets are concerned about his nightlife, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports. “I have never missed games or not been ready to work because of anything to do with staying up too late,”

vCash
    what about a loney/jerry sands platoon?

Better value than most options imo

vCash
    I like Loney as a very good glove, singles hitting platoon guy for cheap. Too bad his career PH numbers are awful, because that could be another way to justify signing him.

He'd have to come for at or near the min $ and years like one.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 09-19-2012 at 03:00 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    what about a loney/jerry sands platoon?

Better value than most options imo
    I suggested this a while back, posters shrugged it off.

If it happens, I wouldn't be upset because I want to see what we have in Sands.

vCash
    Great idea. I guess they'd rather flip Andrus for someone like JUpton, but if we agreed to take Young off of their hands, they might bite. We can totally afford Young for 2 years, even though he's expensive. The downside is he sucks at 1B (and every other position on the field) and DH is blocked by Ortiz.

vCash
    Just to make this clear to you guys how overrated Michael Young is:

Young's career wRC+: 104

James Loney's career wRC+: 103

If you fact in the fact that Loney is above average defensively and Young is below average, Loney is a more valuable 1B.

vCash
    We need another bat. If we can say sign Hamilton and resign Ross and Ortiz I keep Loney as we still have solid with Ellsbury,or Andrus if traded for leading off and Pedrioa hitting behind him with Hamilton 3rd and Ortiz cleanup with Ross and Middlebrook for 5 and 6 which would be good and our lineup would be as good as it was in 07. Ellsbury or Andrus would be as good as Lugo and Crisp and Pedria still hitting 2nd and Hamilton can knock in 140 runs like Manny did and Ortiz still there and Ross and Middlbrook would be as good 5 and 6 as Lowell and Drew and Salt/Lamansky can catch and Loney at first and Kalish/ center field or SS hitting 9th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster24 View Post
    We need another bat. If we can say sign Hamilton and resign Ross and Ortiz I keep Loney as we still have solid with Ellsbury,or Andrus if traded for leading off and Pedrioa hitting behind him with Hamilton 3rd and Ortiz cleanup with Ross and Middlebrook for 5 and 6 which would be good and our lineup would be as good as it was in 07. Ellsbury or Andrus would be as good as Lugo and Crisp and Pedria still hitting 2nd and Hamilton can knock in 140 runs like Manny did and Ortiz still there and Ross and Middlbrook would be as good 5 and 6 as Lowell and Drew and Salt/Lamansky can catch and Loney at first and Kalish/ center field or SS hitting 9th
    Ahh yes Lamansky. Wonderful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    I suggested this a while back, posters shrugged it off.

If it happens, I wouldn't be upset because I want to see what we have in Sands.
    That's what spring training and AAA is for. I'd rather Sands spent some time at AAA so that the Sox can see what he can do at that level outside of the PCL in a less hitter friendly environment before making any serious commitment to him on the big club.

vCash
    Nobody mentioned Napoli. Had a bad year and may be had for cheap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster24 View Post
    I don't really see Hamilton as Manny-like. That said, if the market for Hamilton isn't particularly strong and his price drops to a reasonable point where the Sox could get him for, say, 3-4 years at about $20M per, that might not be a bad deal for the Sox.

IIRC, he's going to be 32 yo at the start of next season, so at the end of a 4 yr deal, he'd be 36. I can't see the Sox wanting to pay over $20M/yr for years 5 or 6 (or beyond) for Hamilton, cuz I don't know that anyone has any sense of how well he'll hold up as he ages, all things considered, even if they could move him to DH at some point.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast