Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Lucchino: no more 6,7,8 year deals to free agents anymore

IM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
    Larry Lucchino Red Sox CEO & Prez told us the Red Sox are not going to sign free agents to deals of 6,7,or 8yrs going forward #SXM

good...

vCash
    It depends on the age of the player. I'm fine with going long term to the rare great player that makes it to free agency around age 25-28. Going long term like that with someone over 30 almost never works out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    It depends on the age of the player. I'm fine with going long term to the rare great player that makes it to free agency around age 25-28. Going long term like that with someone over 30 almost never works out.
    Agreed. Kershaw, and King Felix for instance. If they hit the market in 2 years give them 7 years lol. Whatever it takes!

vCash
    I'm not so sure with pitchers. If they make it to free agency young they probably still have a ton of innings on their arm, and pitchers are a much bigger risk than position players. It depends on the circumstance. King Felix had a great year, but at 26 his fastball velocity already has dropped significantly.

vCash
    Why would you announce this though?

vCash
    Makes sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I don't think it really matters. The Phillies had a policy that they would not sign a pitcher for over 4 years, which they then broke to get Lee and then extend Hamels. Yankees have let it be known this offseason that they will only sign players to 1 year deals.

vCash
    Blue Jays fan here. AA and the Jays have a policy of not going over 5 years, I guess the Sox are going in the same direction, just able to compinsate it by going a higher amount per year.

If dealing with a potential FA player i'd probably go 5 years, have any years afterward mutual options with the options being incentive oriented.

An example would be FA player hits the market.

You give the contract an avg of 18 mill for 5 years. Then the 6th year and onward would be incentive based that could drive that year to maybe 27 mill if the player meets the goals. Of course any year past year 5 would be a mutual or team option.

In theory, if the Player plays well enough to earn all the incentives in the contract and the team picks up all the years, the player 'could' earn more than players who recieved the guarantee deals.

Sort of a more risk more reward for the player, and more of a safe ground for the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    IM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
    Larry Lucchino Red Sox CEO & Prez told us the Red Sox are not going to sign free agents to deals of 6,7,or 8yrs going forward #SXM

good...
    I really doubt it. Good luck getting FA to sign if that is the case.

vCash
    Didnt say anything about extensions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Didnt say anything about extensions.
    Via trades sure. But FA will bark at a 5 year offer. Most FA are around 28-30 and it will be their last big contract. 5 year won't work with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I really doubt it. Good luck getting FA to sign if that is the case.
    How many 7-9 year deals have you seen lately? Exactly, that's what I thought.

If there's a 30 year old who wants to get payed big bucks during his age 35-37 seasons and doesn't want to come here because of our 5 year policy then so be it. I'm glad we won't pay for declining skill sets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    How many 7-9 year deals have you seen lately? Exactly, that's what I thought.
    Pujols, Kemp, Fielders, Votto........... those were between 160-250M.

5 year isn't going to get it done on 'can't miss' talents.

vCash
    Why is this a big deal? Let's be honest, there are ZERO pitchers you'd give 7 or 8 year deals to and very few at 6. The only way this hurts you is if you want a MARQUEE Free Agent.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    He didn't, it's just bad reporting.

“There is, at this point, no hard or fast line on (number of) years that applies to all situations,” Lucchino, entering his 12th year as team president, told the Herald last week.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseb..._past_mistakes

As Lavigne said, it obviously all depends on the individual player.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast