Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Trout > Cabrera last year and it wasn't very close, WAR isn't perfect by any stretch but it's closer than any other stat in any other sport IMO.
    Stop trolling this forum. For a guy that was so much better then Miggy, the voters surely showed that in the vote.

And for the record, I would have voted for Trout also, but to say that Trout was far and away better is just ludicrous.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    The Tigers are actually one of the better drafting teams in baseball. They may not draft superstars or All Stars, but they draft MLB guys that they spin off for trades to mesh with the core they have.
    ^This. DD's drafts are almost always highly regarded by others. Look at Nick C. He was a compensatory round pick but ever since he was drafted he was already seen as one of the best prospects in baseball.

His talent in drafting allows him to make great trades. And the fact that these guys don't always turn out makes it better than if they did. Since alot of them have bombed since leaving Detroit, it shows that DD knows when to sell high. If these prospects that other teams loved enough to give up great players all did well, you would be complaining that he gave up great talent for no reason. Instead, he is giving up highly regarded prospects who are not always working out. I'd say it makes him look pretty good.

Let's say that instead of Maybin, he takes Andrew McCutcheon. Having McCutheon would be outstanding, no doubt, but would you want him over Miggy? Because without Maybin, there was no Miggy deal. But let's say he still makes the trade and McCutcheon is used and goes to the Marlins and tears it up. Does that make DD a better judge of talent because his draft pick succeeded, or a worse one because he gave up on him. I guess that's my point. The fact that he is not afraid to part with highly regarded prospects who may not work out in order to get solid MLBers shows me that he is a great judge of talent.

And it's a little unfair, not to give him credit for his hits either. You called Verlander a no brainer. But he hardly was that. Would you rather have had Matt Bush (#1 that year) or Phillip Humber (#3). They were also no brainers. I think his eye for talent is just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsforlife View Post
    ^This. DD's drafts are almost always highly regarded by others. Look at Nick C. He was a compensatory round pick but ever since he was drafted he was already seen as one of the best prospects in baseball.

His talent in drafting allows him to make great trades. And the fact that these guys don't always turn out makes it better than if they did. Since alot of them have bombed since leaving Detroit, it shows that DD knows when to sell high. If these prospects that other teams loved enough to give up great players all did well, you would be complaining that he gave up great talent for no reason. Instead, he is giving up highly regarded prospects who are not always working out. I'd say it makes him look pretty good.

Let's say that instead of Maybin, he takes Andrew McCutcheon. Having McCutheon would be outstanding, no doubt, but would you want him over Miggy? Because without Maybin, there was no Miggy deal. But let's say he still makes the trade and McCutcheon is used and goes to the Marlins and tears it up. Does that make DD a better judge of talent because his draft pick succeeded, or a worse one because he gave up on him. I guess that's my point. The fact that he is not afraid to part with highly regarded prospects who may not work out in order to get solid MLBers shows me that he is a great judge of talent.

And it's a little unfair, not to give him credit for his hits either. You called Verlander a no brainer. But he hardly was that. Would you rather have had Matt Bush (#1 that year) or Phillip Humber (#3). They were also no brainers. I think his eye for talent is just fine.
    I completely agree.

If I had a knock on DD it would not be on his "eye for talent" or "his" willingness to overpay for draft picks; it would be on his fundamental view on building a team of HR hitters in a pitcher's park. Quite honestly, it is maddening...but they win with this philosophy so my complaints are rightfully relegated to miniscule chirps. Not to mention that building a team around it's offense is the general overall direction of MLB. Very few teams buck this trend...with the Giants, and the Rays as the two that "oppose" this mindset, to a point.

DD is the man as far as I am concerned.

vCash
    Ahoda, given our current depth chart...where do we need "insurance" for a deep postseason bid? In your opinion.

vCash
    The same as last year. Quality bench and to lengthen our lineup. Neither will be fixed until after next season at best unless they want to eat some money and cut guys or trade them away as salary dumps.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    The same as last year. Quality bench and to lengthen our lineup. Neither will be fixed until after next season at best unless they want to eat some money and cut guys or trade them away as salary dumps.
    A lot of expectations for this upcoming season for sure...

vCash
    Yup. This is the most excited I am for a Tigers team since 2008, I just hope the outcome is slightly different.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    The Tigers are actually one of the better drafting teams in baseball. They may not draft superstars or All Stars, but they draft MLB guys that they spin off for trades to mesh with the core they have.
    Like who, other than the 4 guys I named?

vCash
    Stop trolling this forum. For a guy that was so much better then Miggy, the voters surely showed that in the vote.

And for the record, I would have voted for Trout also, but to say that Trout was far and away better is just ludicrous.
    Since when do the voters make any damn sense?

Why do you have to call me a troll for questioning the true value of our players, isn't that what these boards is all about?

vCash
    Since when do the voters make any damn sense?

Why do you have to call me a troll for questioning the true value of our players, isn't that what these boards is all about?
    You're going to say the voters don't make sense, but most of your posts don't either.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Like who, other than the 4 guys I named?
    I'll just go back to the 2006 draft.

2006: Miller, Boesch, Sizemore, Below, Fien
    2007: Pocello, Worth, Putkonen, Furbush, Crosby
    2008: Perry, Satterwaite, Avila, Dirks, Weber
    2009: Turner, Oliver, Wilk
    2010: Ruffin, Smyly, Brantly, Holaday,

And none from 2011 or 2012 yet.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Avila is the only proven MLB talent there, a few other guys have come in for half of a season and done well, but that's not proven, and realize how old some of those guys are already.

vCash
    See, this is where we differ. He's traded away lots of those guys and gotten us Miggy, Scherzer, Coke, Jackson, and Fister.

How is that not identifying talent? Also, that doesn't even include the VSL or DSL guys we have and siging Al off the minor league FA list and getting Rule 5 Fernando Rodney.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    DD knows talent. It is dumb to think he does not. He has been in the big leagues working for over 20 years. He has drafted many talented players and traded for many talented players. DD method over the past few years is drafting pitching because he knows and understand the value of pitching prospects. DD over the years has drafted many big name players. Even with the marlins he drafted one of the best 1st baseman in the game today named Adrian Gonzalez. I have full confidence in dd ability to run a big league team. Also i have no worries because we have Mr Illitch who wants a championship just as bad as we all do. As a result that makes for some exciting baseball seasons to happen so i thank DD and Mr. Illitch for everything they have done for Detroit and for baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kpa9491 View Post
    DD knows talent. It is dumb to think he does not. He has been in the big leagues working for over 20 years. He has drafted many talented players and traded for many talented players. DD method over the past few years is drafting pitching because he knows and understand the value of pitching prospects. DD over the years has drafted many big name players. Even with the marlins he drafted one of the best 1st baseman in the game today named Adrian Gonzalez. I have full confidence in dd ability to run a big league team. Also i have no worries because we have Mr Illitch who wants a championship just as bad as we all do. As a result that makes for some exciting baseball seasons to happen so i thank DD and Mr. Illitch for everything they have done for Detroit and for baseball.
    I'm well aware of how good he was in the past with Montreal and Florida, very impressive actually, but that doesn't give him a pass in my book for the guys he has drafted here.

Again guys, my biggest concern with all of this is being able to fill all of the holes we will have moving forward without going over the $200 million soon because as generous as Mr. I has been, I don't think things can continue in this manner.

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast