Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    I'm complaining about him signing guys with obvious flaws to huge contracts when there are always multiple guys available that give the same OVERALL production for usually less than half the price, this way we don't end up with so many holes being filled by guys that have no business being on a big league roster. If DD wasn't one of the worst drafting GMs in baseball then it wouldn't be an issue because we could at least fill those holes with young players that have potential instead of guys in their late 20s that should be career minor leaguers.

I'm still waiting for somebody to name just 1 "diamond in the rough" he has found, i'm not asking for a superstar, just a good, above-average baseball player.
    Still waiting on the list of 30-40 guys...I'll let you off if you can give me 15

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klane079 View Post
    Still waiting on the list of 30-40 guys...I'll let you off if you can give me 15
    He was tied for 38th in WAR in 2012, nuff said.

vCash
    You can ***** and moan all you like, its obvious you don't agree with the majority.

• Fister for Ruffin, Furbush, and Wells
    • A Jax for Granderson
    • Max Scherzer an upgrade from Edwin Jackson
    • E Jax for Matt Joyce (we got a solid year from Jackson)
    • Cabrera - we all know this one
    • Guillen for Santiago
    • Polanco for Urbina and someone else who didn't amount to anything

You can downplay the last 2 all you want but both were significant factors in us making the 06 WS and cost us next to nothing. Urbina ended up in jail.

You also downplay an All Star season from Peralta for Soto who will likely never pitch in the ML.

The whole point of a minor league system is to produce ML talent, it doesn't matter if you develop these guys or trade them for ML talent...DD is better at the latter.

Forgot to mention minor trades like Michael Hernandez for Armando Galarraga who gave us a 180 innings with a sub 4.00 ERA in 2008.

Oh and your "Drafting high" comment, we ended up with Verlander....2 other picks turned into Cabrera, Castellanos is still in the system and our top prospect. Ruffin basically turned to Fister. The only real bust is Perry
    For as long as he's been here, you should be able to come up with several guys he drafted that turned into average to above average major league ball players. Can you do that?

vCash
    30 HRs 100 RBIs...who are they?...I'm asking for 15 that were available...u said there where 30-40

vCash
    For as long as he's been here, you should be able to come up with several guys he drafted that turned into average to above average major league ball players. Can you do that?
    I'll start with home grown still on the team:

Verlander,
    Avila
    Porcello
    Infante (undrafted but signed by Detroit)

Via the Farm:
    Cabrera
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Sanchez
    Infante
    Jackson
    Peralta (all star in 2011)

vCash
    and how many of the 38 about him in war were available last off season when we lost victor

vCash
    I'll start with home grown still on the team:

Verlander,
    Avila
    Porcello
    Infante (undrafted but signed by Detroit)

Via the Farm:
    Cabrera
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Sanchez
    Infante
    Jackson
    Peralta (all star in 2011)
    Was Infante already in the organization when DD got here? According to most on here Porcello is not even an average starting pitcher so that doesn't count. How long do you think other teams will continue to trade for the bad players he drafts? As of right now DD has only drafted 4 solid proven ball players, Granderson who took forever to make it up, Verlander was a no-brainer, Joyce who is nothing special, and Avila who i'm reluctant to call solid after one good year and one mediocre year. After 11 drafts that's all he has to show, obviously a few guys are still too young to tell, but we very well might have the worst farm system in baseball right now, so it's not like he's going to change my mind anytime soon.

vCash
    A few years ago I would have agreed with you on the worst farm system. But Nick C has a lot of value, Garcia is putting together a lot of tools, Rondon has the makes of a closer (I guess we'll find out), Smyly rose quick through the ranks and is now our 5th guy. And somehow, someway, when someone goes down, there is some no namer that is able to produce for a while.

vCash
    Was Infante already in the organization when DD got here? According to most on here Porcello is not even an average starting pitcher so that doesn't count. How long do you think other teams will continue to trade for the bad players he drafts? As of right now DD has only drafted 4 solid proven ball players, Granderson who took forever to make it up, Verlander was a no-brainer, Joyce who is nothing special, and Avila who i'm reluctant to call solid after one good year and one mediocre year. After 11 drafts that's all he has to show, obviously a few guys are still too young to tell, but we very well might have the worst farm system in baseball right now, so it's not like he's going to change my mind anytime soon.
    It's worked for him his entire career, and are never really "bad players" its not DDs fault his traded prospects haven't' worked out....there is always a risk in a trade for both sides.

What exactly does having a good farm system accomplish? KC has had a top 5 system for years now....all they get is kudos from Baseball America and to go home and watch us play in October for the last 2 years

You're argument means nothing when it comes to the Tigers...we've made it to the ALCS or beyond 2 years in a row...one of a few teams that can say that.

You're avoiding the 30-40 Prince Fielder replacementw comment

vCash
    I'm still confused. So, DD drafts guys. He trades them for great major league players (Miggy, Fister, Sanchez, AJax, etc.) and most of the guys he trades away (and drafted) don't make it in the bigs. And that somehow makes him a bad judge of talent? He can draft people others want and then realize when it is time to trade them at their maximum value and get proven major leaguers in return. How is that a bad judge of talent. That is knowing when it is the optimal time to cash in on guys.

Just because we haven't had a ton of late rounders wind up being great major leaguers doesn't make him a bad judge in talent. We have been to TWO world series under his reign. That's at least 1 more than any other GM we have ever had and you are complaining. And he did this after inheriting the worst team in baseball.

A GM's eye for talent cannot be judged by only how many late round draft picks become stars. That's ludicrous. Look at his record on his trades. What he has given up compared to what he has received. It's quite impressive. Even the Jair Jurrjens trade looks better now that he's flamed out.

And again, who cares if he hasn't been a great bargain shopper. He has an owner who is willing to spend. I just don't get the complaints about a guy who has taken our once sadsack team to the world series twice in just over a half decade. DD does his bargain shopping through trades, not FA signings. It's his approach and it has been working. He uses HIS draft picks you keep complaining about to bring us talent. Again, what is your argument? Just because he doesn't do things the way you wish they would be done, doesn't make him a bad judge of talent. His diamonds in the rough are the players he gets through trade instead of late round draft picks. Is that really a problem?

vCash
    WAR is so misleading. It is supposed to be the statistic that is how many wins you would lose if you did not have the person. Trout's was over 10 and I do not believe the Angels would have lost ten more games if he was not there. Similarly Cabrera's was around 6 or 7. If Cabrera was not on the team we would lose way more than 6 or 7 games. We would be lucky to finish with 70 wins. You cannot use WAR to justify much. It was the only case Trout had for MVP and he didn't win it because WAR doesn't mean anything. So just because his WAR was 38th does not mean there are 37 suitable replacements for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha77 View Post
    WAR is so misleading. It is supposed to be the statistic that is how many wins you would lose if you did not have the person. Trout's was over 10 and I do not believe the Angels would have lost ten more games if he was not there. Similarly Cabrera's was around 6 or 7. If Cabrera was not on the team we would lose way more than 6 or 7 games. We would be lucky to finish with 70 wins. You cannot use WAR to justify much. It was the only case Trout had for MVP and he didn't win it because WAR doesn't mean anything. So just because his WAR was 38th does not mean there are 37 suitable replacements for him.
    Trout > Cabrera last year and it wasn't very close, WAR isn't perfect by any stretch but it's closer than any other stat in any other sport IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekker View Post
    Hey *******s. Before you jump down my throat on Granderson, The guy asked for even a decent player that DD has turned out. Even if he is a by product of NY, and he definitely is, he played exceptional baseball for Detroit, made huge plays, stole bases, hit homeruns, and got traded for an even better haul of players that turned out for us. I say DD deserves a little credit for that, that's all I'm saying.
    We all agree with you, it's the other uninformed troll that isn't making any sense.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash

Great logic. Well since there are 30 MLB teams and they all have 25 man roster, that equals 750 players. That puts him in the top 5% of players. I'll take it.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    The Tigers are actually one of the better drafting teams in baseball. They may not draft superstars or All Stars, but they draft MLB guys that they spin off for trades to mesh with the core they have.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast