Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Lol do people think when they post? Why would the Tigers have any interest in Trumbo. He is so over hyped.
    This. 100%. I for one really want to see what Nick will become. What he will become while wearing the old english D that is...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1125 View Post
    Not getting the Trumbo hard ons. Poor avg, poor defense, poor OBP skills, poor speed. He is Adam Dunn minus the walks. He isn't exactly a kid either. I believe he is 27 or so. Why do you think it took him so long to get to the show? He isn't that good.

The last thing this team needs is another slow DH type.

Would I take him? Yes. Would I give up our top spec and a young SP for him. Hell no. i can think of much more useful targets than a 1 trick pony.
    Adam Dunn is a horrible comparison. Trumbo struck out 120 times in 2011 and 153 in 2012. So lets be fair and split the difference and say hell average around 135 times per season, Adam Dunn averages 170 strikeouts. He struck out 222 times last year. He compares better offensively to someone like Jason Haywerd, minus the steals but a little more power Trumbo was havinga monster year until august and september came. Which was exactly when Vernon Wells got back from injury and Trumbo was being moved to different positions to get at bats. Hes a good player. His defense isnt the greatest, but if you can hit 30-40 homeruns then Ill take the 10 errors im going to get from him.

And what if Victor Martinez comes back and struggles bad after being off for a whole year? It would be nice to have an insurance policy with that much power to bat behind Prince to give him a little protection. This team cant rely on Avila, Peralta, Santiago, and Dirks to have monster years because we really have no idea what they are going to give us next year. Dirks had a nice year last year but we have no reason to believe that he will repeat that performance next year. He could come out next year with the hype and be batting .220 by the All Star break. We need another bat.

vCash
    I like to trade prospects for proven players as much as the next guy, but lets think back to just yesterday when all you heard is how the Sanchez signing is going to prevent or make it more difficult to resign some of our superstar players such as Cabrera or Verlander. That is the reason we need to keep some young talent around to develop and come in and play in the show keep them on low salaries. You can't have 15-20 players on your 25 who are making millions of dollars. So lets find a deal that we can be productive with and not ship our top prospects next year we are going to need them. If not sooner

vCash
    We have major league players that can be traded yet this offseason Boesch, Peralta, Santiago, and Porcello. Kobernus and Worth are younger and able to play the role that Kelly and Santiago played. Berry and a RH OF that we acquire as out field replacements and Pena as our back up catcher is what I would like to see on our bench. Rondon, Benoit, Coke, Dotel, Albuquerque, and another LH relief pitcher, as our bullpen. Lets try and get a upgrade at SS and prospects, and or bullpen help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Let me remind you of some so called top prospects that either didn't turn out to be superstars or because just average or above average players.
    Brandon Wood former Angels prospect. Remember him? Not only was he a top prospect he was the # 1 . And a third baseman. Crushed triple A but couldn't hit his weight in the majors. How many times did they send him down and he would crush again but do nothing when called back up. Finally ended up with the Pirates. And guess what he did? Right on. Nothing.
    Hank Blalock Remember him? Oh yeah . Another third baseman . He had a little better success but never really did that much.
    Alex Gordon, Hmmm, Guess what position he played ? Man you guys are good. Right. Third base. The # 1 prospect in baseball. Did nothing for the first few years. Moved him to the outfield and he finally bloomed two years ago. But came back to earth last year.
    I could give you a few more but I won't waste your time. I think you get the point.
    The league is littered with good or below average players. Of course they don't all turn out like Strasburg or Trout but to not want to improve the team because of something that odds are against happening? I'll take the proven all day long.Its doesn't have to be for somebody like Trumbo but if push came to shove I'm all over it.

So let me get this straight, Your expecting to toss a couple names down of some failed prospects and expect that to prove some kind of point to me? Your trying to tell me that because Brandon Wood, Hank Blalock, and Alex Gordon failed at 3rd base, thats supposed to decrease the value of future 3rd base prospects? To be honest, I shouldnt be wasting my time with such a pompous and awful debate from your end but Ill give it a shot...

Heres a little list of all highly touted and successful 3rd base prospects of their time. Bob Horner, Phil Nevin, Chipper Jones, Arod, Adrian Beltre, George Kell, Freddie Lindstrom, Pie Traynor, Darrell Evans, Howard Johnson, Graig Nettles....I could mention a few more but I think you get my point......oh what the hell, its the holidays, heres a few more for you...David Wright, Scott Rolen, Evan Longoria, Frank Baker, Wade Boggs, Ron Santo, Eddie Matthews, Ryan Zimmerman, Brooks Robinson, George Brett, Mike Schmidt.

So your trying to say that because Hank Blalock sucked, its going to decrease the value of Nick C? Theres a reason why every year top prospects get traded, because other teams see their value. Im not going to sit here and say that Nick C is going to be a superstar, because i dont know what hes going to be. But I will never discredit his value because Hank Blalock sucked. Thats completely ridiculous to even assume.

Read what your writing before you get all arrogant man. Your taking the fun out of baseball discussions by trying to prove a useless point. Every player is a prospect at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Lol do people think when they post? Why would the Tigers have any interest in Trumbo. He is so over hyped.
    I dont think anyone who can hit 30+ bombs in a season should ever be considered overhyped.

he made $500,000 last year and is arbitration eligible until 2017 when he becomes a free agent. Thats a cheap source of power and RBIs for a few years. And the reason why it took him so long to get to "the show" is because he had Tori Hunter, Bobby Abreu, Juan Rivera, Vladdamir Guerrero, Gary Matthews Jr, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjous over the years in the outfield and never had a spot for him as they wanted him to get regular at bats in the minors.

30+ homeruns, cheap, and hes a right handed bat....Thats why the Tigers should be interested in him

If you dont want Trumbo on the team, thats fine, but dont downplay his talents to get your point accross. This guy has the makings to be a star.
    Last edited by drewstantontime; 12-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.

vCash
    Sorry my freind that you don't agree. I wasn't saying because they failed that we should trade NC. You sound smart enough to figure that out but i guess i missed judged you. My point was those guys were ALL either the top prospect or close. That we shouldn't put too much into what can happen a year or two down the road. Of course I would love to hang onto NC and see what happens. But overlooking a good trade for a proven player for somebody that might not do anything is crazy.
    Forgive me master if you don't agree but i do believe I have the right to my opinion . Agree or not thats your option. I may not agree with you but I don't put you down for it.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Hey hey hey. If anyone here is going to get arrogant here its me

vCash
    Whats funny is his screen name. Now theres a name that was a big star in the NFL . NOT!
    The pot calling the kettle black.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    I won't hold that against him. A lot of people got really attached when their beloved michigan state quarterback went to their beloved lions haha

vCash
    I just think its funny that he should trash me for thinking we should consider trading NC for a proven player. And he uses that screen name of somebody that was not never made it and was considered a top player. No offnese to MS fans or even to Drew Stanton himself.

vCash
    Lets defuse the tension a little bit here. Lets read something and have an opinion we can all agree on: David Schoenfield is a moron. Saying the Yankees are the 3rd best team to beat in the Majors, and the top in the AL. Classic ESPN writer NY bias. They cant even admit their beloved Yankees are old and past their time when it is so blatantly obvious its true. Here is the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...onals-reds-1-2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    Lets defuse the tension a little bit here. Lets read something and have an opinion we can all agree on: David Schoenfield is a moron. Saying the Yankees are the 3rd best team to beat in the Majors, and the top in the AL. Classic ESPN writer NY bias. They cant even admit their beloved Yankees are old and past their time when it is so blatantly obvious its true. Here is the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...onals-reds-1-2
    Detroit is the best team in the AL, no matter what team does what. No matter who goes where. No matter who DETROIT gets. Detroit is the best team in the AL until someone beats them. Just like San Francisco is the best team in baseball. Until a new World Series team is crowned, they are the champions.
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    I'm not going to bother reading a story on the Yankees, but I will say this... They did have the best record in the AL last season while playing in a tough division, they also only had Ichiro for 67 games, Rivera for 9, Pettitte 12, and Gardner 16. I'm not saying I agree that they are the best team in the AL, but you can't laugh at the notion either.

vCash
    Yeah I don't really think it's laughable either. We might just be remembering the playoff collapse & sweep. ARod will be out for half the season but Youk should cover some of his numbers. They'll be good, I still believe we're better, but it's not crazy.

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast