Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha77 View Post
    People who are saying we should trade Prince for anything is ridiculous. There is a reason Cabrera won the triple crown and it was the addition of Prince Fielder behind him. They could no longer just pitch around him they had to be aggressive with him and that lead to more productive numbers. You take Prince away not only does it hurt Cabrera as a hitter it hurts him as a person. They look like best friends out there. He is a great guy to have around and he is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. Giving that up because we are afraid of our shortstops play is ridiculous. Peralta is a good player. He had a decent year, just not as good as we thought. Everyone expected some huge year because he was an all star two years ago. He is a good player and worth starting there. We take away Fielder everyone will be complaining we have no 3rd baseman cause then Cabrera would have to move back to first. Simply put Fielder is not going anywhere for a long time.
    Trading Fielder won't happen because it woud be bad from a PR/clubhouse perspective but if it netted them Andrus and Young I think it would make the team better overall. Fielder is not a good 1B and Cabrera is not a good 3B (and Perralta is an ok SS) and this lack of defense hurt them all year. VMart is back to hit from the 4-spot and what they really need is a good defensive SS with a decent bat to hit in the 2-spot and a place holder 3B (for Castellanos) that can be productive from the five spot. Not only would this make them better now, but it would give the more financial flexibility to extend Cabrera, Verlander, Jackson and Fister. It's not gonna happen but that doesn't mean it shouldn't.
    Last edited by GasMan; 11-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    I want Peralta OUT

Get this guy the ball!!!!

vCash
    Yeah, I am ready for Peralta to go as long as they can actually upgrade the position. I don't want him to leave just to leave. I can't remember where I heard it, but somebody said.. Peralta is an excellent defensive SS when the ball is hit right at him. With Cabrera playing third, we need a SS with huge range.

^courtesy of sfgiants5518^

vCash
    Escobar in Toronto. Career 350 obp, supreme defender. Not sure about the pieces to do a trade though.

vCash

I like the Madson idea

I like signing Ryan Madsen instead of Soriano as it might be less costly and he is solid enough to be our closer. And maybe with Drew Smyly and Andy Oliver we don't really need to sign Sanchez or Floyd.

I don't like signing an extra big time outfielder though. Garcia, Dirks, and Jackson are all solid and Berry is a nice 4th outfielder. Plus if Castellonas is ready this year we need to keep RF open for him. Then a Dirks, Jackson, and Castellonas outfield would be set.

What about this for an off the wall signing (AJ Pierznski)
    he could spit the catcher load with Avilia and DH every now and then to give Victor a day off. Plus if Victor doesn't return to form he's a solid backup plan at DH

Also I say sign (Nyjer Morgan)
    great base running threat who could platoon RF with Garcia. Plus would be a great pinch runner for late in games.

So Madsen, Pierznski, and Morgan (all relatively cheap but fill major needs)

try to resign Sanchez, if not Edwin Jackson would at least give us depth

Sign Macier Izturis to be the new utility player (upgrade over Santiago)

Lineup

Jackson
    Infante
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    V. Martinez
    Dirks
    Avilia/Pierznski
    Peralta
    Morgan/Garcia

Rotation
    Verlander
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Porcello
    Sanchez, Jackson, or Smyly

Bullpen
    Madsen, Albuerquerqe, Dotel, Coke. Benoit and a lefty

WHAT ABOUT DEALING WITH THE CUBS. We trade Castellonas, Oliver, Smyly, Boesch, Peralta, and Eugenio Suarez to the Cubs for Castro and Garza.

Starlin Castro hitting 2nd for us would give us the best first 5 batters in the bigs and fill our weakest position for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencesc11 View Post
    I like signing Ryan Madsen instead of Soriano as it might be less costly and he is solid enough to be our closer. And maybe with Drew Smyly and Andy Oliver we don't really need to sign Sanchez or Floyd.

I don't like signing an extra big time outfielder though. Garcia, Dirks, and Jackson are all solid and Berry is a nice 4th outfielder. Plus if Castellonas is ready this year we need to keep RF open for him. Then a Dirks, Jackson, and Castellonas outfield would be set.

What about this for an off the wall signing (AJ Pierznski)
    he could spit the catcher load with Avilia and DH every now and then to give Victor a day off. Plus if Victor doesn't return to form he's a solid backup plan at DH

Also I say sign (Nyjer Morgan)
    great base running threat who could platoon RF with Garcia. Plus would be a great pinch runner for late in games.

So Madsen, Pierznski, and Morgan (all relatively cheap but fill major needs)

try to resign Sanchez, if not Edwin Jackson would at least give us depth

Sign Macier Izturis to be the new utility player (upgrade over Santiago)

Lineup

Jackson
    Infante
    Cabrera
    Fielder
    V. Martinez
    Dirks
    Avilia/Pierznski
    Peralta
    Morgan/Garcia

Rotation
    Verlander
    Fister
    Scherzer
    Porcello
    Sanchez, Jackson, or Smyly

Bullpen
    Madsen, Albuerquerqe, Dotel, Coke. Benoit and a lefty

WHAT ABOUT DEALING WITH THE CUBS. We trade Castellonas, Oliver, Smyly, Boesch, Peralta, and Eugenio Suarez to the Cubs for Castro and Garza.

Starlin Castro hitting 2nd for us would give us the best first 5 batters in the bigs and fill our weakest position for years.
    Madson scares me because he's coming off Tommy John surgery. I would like to see us shore up the bullpen though by adding someone like Uehara, Adams, Affeldt or Sorianao. Then I think we let Albuquerque, Villareal and Rondon fight it out for closer.

I kinda mulled the Pierzynski idea around myself but I don't really see him going for that role and I think our money can be better spent elsewhere, especially because he's a lefty like Avila. If he'd go for 2 yrs at 6M then I'd do it, but he won't. We'll probably have to sign a true backup or rely on in house options. I honestly wouldn't mind having Laird back.

I like the idea of getting Castro and I have no problem including Castellanos in a deal for him, but I don't think the deal you proposed would get us both Castro and Garza. I would do Castellanos, Garcia and Smyly for Castro.

vCash
    Resign Anibal Sanchez

Sign BJ Upton

Trade Porcello, Boesch, Below, whatever minor leaguers it takes to Arizona for Justin Upton.(Justin Upton was on the trade block for the better part of the year)

Trade Pheralta to San Diego for Huston Street(tried trading him last season)

Trade to the dodgers for Dee Gordon(Now that they have Hanley Ramirez, Gordon should be on the block)

1. CF Austin Jackson
    2. LF BJ Upton
    3. 3B Miguel Cabrera
    4. 1B Prince Fielder
    5. DH Victor Martinez
    6. RF Justin Upton
    7. C Alex Avila
    8. 2B Omar Infante
    9. SS Dee Gordon

SP

1.Justin Verlander
    2. Doug Fister
    3.Max Sherzer
    4. Anibal Sanchez
    5. Drew Smyly

vCash
    Does anyone know why the rangers didnt offer Napoli? Did he have a down year? I know he had a killer year last year. Any place on our squad for him. I like him but I don't know where he would fit in unless someones traded.
    Max Scherzer season stats

blue eyes - 1

brown eyes - 1

wins

losses

KOs

BB

WHIP

vCash
    I don't know what to make of Napoli. He had a hell of a year 2 years ago and has a lot of power but he hit .227 last year and .238 in 2010. I'm intrigued by his power though and I like the fact that he's a right-handed bat. I think he would fit in nice as a backup catcher or DH to give Victor a day off. We could have him catch when we face lefties. The price would have to make sense for us though, as I think we can better improve our team by upgrading other positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drewstantontime View Post
    Resign Anibal Sanchez

Sign BJ Upton

Trade Porcello, Boesch, Below, whatever minor leaguers it takes to Arizona for Justin Upton.(Justin Upton was on the trade block for the better part of the year)

Trade Pheralta to San Diego for Huston Street(tried trading him last season)

Trade to the dodgers for Dee Gordon(Now that they have Hanley Ramirez, Gordon should be on the block)

1. CF Austin Jackson
    2. LF BJ Upton
    3. 3B Miguel Cabrera
    4. 1B Prince Fielder
    5. DH Victor Martinez
    6. RF Justin Upton
    7. C Alex Avila
    8. 2B Omar Infante
    9. SS Dee Gordon

SP

1.Justin Verlander
    2. Doug Fister
    3.Max Sherzer
    4. Anibal Sanchez
    5. Drew Smyly
    Upton trade is completely unrealistic and Gordon sucks. I'm meh on BJ Upton. He has good speed and can play some defense but he's not that good of a hitter and will likely want a big time contract. I'd rather give Hunter something like 2/22-24 to play RF. Better hitter than BJ and plays defense too. Doesn't have speed but oh well.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha77 View Post
    People who are saying we should trade Prince for anything is ridiculous. There is a reason Cabrera won the triple crown and it was the addition of Prince Fielder behind him. They could no longer just pitch around him they had to be aggressive with him and that lead to more productive numbers. You take Prince away not only does it hurt Cabrera as a hitter it hurts him as a person. They look like best friends out there. He is a great guy to have around and he is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. Giving that up because we are afraid of our shortstops play is ridiculous. Peralta is a good player. He had a decent year, just not as good as we thought. Everyone expected some huge year because he was an all star two years ago. He is a good player and worth starting there. We take away Fielder everyone will be complaining we have no 3rd baseman cause then Cabrera would have to move back to first. Simply put Fielder is not going anywhere for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Gordon View Post
    Prince is going nowhere, theres not one team in the league that would trade for him. Think about it, he sat unsigned for way longer than people thought, and then we came along and overpaid big to get him to come here. Why would any team now want to take that contract on, when they werent willing to spend that last offseason? Its not as if his stock has risen since the signing...
    We currently have half our payroll wrapped up in 3 guys. Who is the better hitter? Miggy or Fielder? Who is the better 1Bman? Miggy or Fielder? Who is likely to move to DH first?

The team is built on Miggy and SP, long term we'll have Cabrera and Verlander and one of Scherzer or Fister.

Fielder is a solid hitter, but nothing else...he was a short term fix for VMart. We approached him on a 1-year deal, but the only way he was signing was long term...

This off season is the perfect time to unload him. He needs to be moved while there is still value in his contract, waiting 5-6 years he will be a full time DH by then. The FA market is light on power hitting 1Bman, Texas is looking for someone to replace Hamilton in the lineup. Boston just unloaded a ton of payroll and traded away their "star 1Bman", The Cubs have a ton of payroll being shed with Z being gone and only 2 years left for Soriano.

We missed out on the Dodgers...IMO he would have gone to LA this winter had the Boston trade not worked out, they almost signed him before we did last winter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klane079 View Post
    We currently have half our payroll wrapped up in 3 guys. Who is the better hitter? Miggy or Fielder? Who is the better 1Bman? Miggy or Fielder? Who is likely to move to DH first?

The team is built on Miggy and SP, long term we'll have Cabrera and Verlander and one of Scherzer or Fister.

Fielder is a solid hitter, but nothing else...he was a short term fix for VMart. We approached him on a 1-year deal, but the only way he was signing was long term...

This off season is the perfect time to unload him. He needs to be moved while there is still value in his contract, waiting 5-6 years he will be a full time DH by then. The FA market is light on power hitting 1Bman, Texas is looking for someone to replace Hamilton in the lineup. Boston just unloaded a ton of payroll and traded away their "star 1Bman", The Cubs have a ton of payroll being shed with Z being gone and only 2 years left for Soriano.

We missed out on the Dodgers...IMO he would have gone to LA this winter had the Boston trade not worked out, they almost signed him before we did last winter.
    Exactly, but now youre suggesting another team take on this insane contract? Not going to happen. Dont mistake me saying theres no chance for a Prince trade to mean that i think we SHOULDNT trade him though. If someone wanted him id ship him out. Keep in mind that we overpaid big time to get him to come here, because he didnt want to. What you're saying is that other teams that wanted him that offseason would now increase what they offered at that time? Because thats exactly what theyd be doing by trading for him now. For what reason? Just because the FA crop is weak doesnt mean a team is to grab that Prince contract. Texas has alot of chips to play with including Andrus, theyll be able to land a few players to make up for losing Hamilton. Theyll be just fine. Theres no reason for them to do a panic move like going for Prince. As for the Red Sox good luck explaining to the fans why you traded a player whos better than Prince Fielder and then traded for this ridiculous contract.
    Last edited by Jack_Gordon; 11-04-2012 at 09:03 AM.

vCash
    Exactly, but now youre suggesting another team take on this insane contract? Not going to happen. Dont mistake me saying theres no chance for a Prince trade to mean that i think we SHOULDNT trade him though. If someone wanted him id ship him out. Keep in mind that we overpaid big time to get him to come here, because he didnt want to. What you're saying is that other teams that wanted him that offseason would now increase what they offered at that time? Because thats exactly what theyd be doing by trading for him now. For what reason? Just because the FA crop is weak doesnt mean a team is to grab that Prince contract. Texas has alot of chips to play with including Andrus, theyll be able to land a few players to make up for losing Hamilton. Theyll be just fine. Theres no reason for them to do a panic move like going for Prince. As for the Red Sox good luck explaining to the fans why you traded a player whos better than Prince Fielder and then traded for this ridiculous contract.
    If the Tigers approached Texas about Prince there are some reasons why they would be willing to give up Andrus for Prince.
    1. They would have lost draft picks if they had signed him last year but now won't.
    2. It's now an 8 year contract instead of 9 year contract
    3. Tigers could take Michael Young's expensive final year off their hand and he would likely agree if he was coming to Detroit to be the starting 3B
    4. Tigers could add secondary pieces to sweeten the trade
    5. Tigers could send $$ offsetting some of the cost.
    6. Last year they thought they were gonna be resigning Hamilton for some big $$ but now have a hole where his salary and production once were.
    7. Prince proved he can play in the AL and is more than just a power bat.
    8. They have what many believe to be a better,younger,cheaper SS knocking on the door and are considering moving Andrus.
    9. Their alternatives at 1B/DH haven't turned out how they have hoped so far.
    Last edited by GasMan; 11-04-2012 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    If the Tigers approached Texas about Prince there are some reasons why they would be willing to give up Andrus for Prince.
    1. They would have lost draft picks if they had signed him last year but now won't.
    2. It's now an 8 year contract instead of 9 year contract
    3. Tigers could take Michael Young's expensive final year off their hand and he would likely agree if he was coming to Detroit to be the starting 3B
    4. Tigers could add secondary pieces to sweeten the trade
    5. Tigers could send $$ offsetting some of the cost.
    6. Last year they thought they were gonna be resigning Hamilton for some big $$ but now have a hole where his salary and production once were.
    7. Prince proved he can play in the AL and is more than just a power bat.
    8. They have what many believe to be a better,younger,cheaper SS knocking on the door and are considering moving Andrus.
    9. Their alternatives at 1B/DH haven't turned out how they have hoped so far.
    What GasMan said...Fielder would MASH in Texas.....IF they want to improve their offense, this would be the way to do it...not gonna find anyone via FA this year. The Cubs couldn't afford him last year, Boston wasn't in play as they had AGon. Speculation last offseason before he signed would he may sign a 1 year deal till teams like Chicago had contracts off the books.

vCash
    Not happening.

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast