Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Agreed.

Have a happy and safe New Year's celebration to all of you...I will post with you "on the flipside."

Hey Dekker...don't choke on your own vommit.

See you all in 2013!
    I'll see what I can do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Valverde is more reliable than anyone we currently have in the pen, he struggled in the playoffs but that was only a few games. Over the last 3 years he has a 3.00 ERA 1.19 WHIP and has averaged 36 2/3 saves per year while only blowing 2 1/2 per season. He also gave us close to 70 games per season while dominating righties to a .484 OPS, .606 OPS overall for the 3 seasons, Verlanders is .595 over the last 3 years by the way. His numbers are right there with any other closer but Rivera the last 3 years, and considering the defense behind him that's pretty damn good.
    Some players 'lose it' (upper-tier status) overnight.
    A bright GM recognizes such and refuses off-season negotiations with his agent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MotownWebGuy View Post
    Some players 'lose it' (upper-tier status) overnight.
    A bright GM recognizes such and refuses off-season negotiations with his agent.
    That's not the point, and even so it's still a guessing game, and i'm a lot more comfortable guessing Valverde than Rondon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    That's not the point, and even so it's still a guessing game, and i'm a lot more comfortable guessing Valverde than Rondon.
    Nobody has given Rondon the closer role. Dombrowski only stated Rondon would compete for a bullpen job.

vCash
    the Marlins are still listening to teams about Stanton. Detroit needs to give them whatever they want for this guy. he is a stud! throw the hole farm at them n then some

vCash
    I know I would give them their choice of Porcello/ Smyly , NC , Dirks and Boesch.
    We would be the most dangerous team in baseball. I could live with JP at short for another season. Plus we sign Soriano to close out games? WOW !!!!!
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    We'd have a fantasy team in that scenario Jack. lol
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I know I would give them their choice of Porcello/ Smyly , NC , Dirks and Boesch.
    We would be the most dangerous team in baseball. I could live with JP at short for another season. Plus we sign Soriano to close out games? WOW !!!!!
    we would be sick. we would go to being world series favorites again thats for sure

vCash
    im thinking DD could rob them blind again! lol. lets get it done

vCash

Villareal shut down for rest of winter

DETROIT -- One of Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski's favorite tidbits during last month's Winter Meetings was the high regard for Brayan Villarreal. One evaluator with another club, he said, told him Villarreal was the most promising young reliever he had seen all year.

Villarreal's potential, however, is only that if he can't stay on the mound. That's why the Tigers are taking such caution with him after his second bout of elbow soreness since the summer.

The Tigers cleared the hard-throwing 25-year-old right-hander to pitch winter ball in his native Venezuela with the idea of getting him about 15 innings, enough to work on some things with his delivery and get a head start on next spring while still allowing him an offseason of rest.

Vilarreal joined the Caribes de Anzoategui in early December and pitched in three games, hurling three scoreless innings and allowing one hit with a run and a strikeout. He complained about some arm problems in mid-December and was sent back to the U.S. to have his elbow examined by team doctors, according to the Venezuelan newspaper El Universal. The tests revealed inflammation, but no structural damage.

The Tigers confirmed Villarreal was examined with nothing serious revealed. Though Villarreal was reportedly expected to be sidelined until Jan. 2, the Tigers and Villarreal agreed to shut him down for the rest of the winter and have him focus on being ready for Spring Training, rather than have him return cold for the Venezuelan League playoffs.

Villarreal was also diagnosed with elbow inflammation in August. He returned to action after six days and picked up where he left off in his torrid summer with some very good outings, but struggled through September. When the Tigers made out their postseason roster, they left Villarreal off the seven-man bullpen in favor of lefty Drew Smyly and sinkerballer Rick Porcello, both starters for most of the season.

Despite that decision, it's difficult to overestimate how important Villarreal could be to Detroit's 2013 bullpen, especially if the club keeps its relief corps as is without another move. His fastball averaged 97.1 mph last season, according to fangraphs.com, and he honed with his slider into an effective second pitch despite throwing the slider less often.

Villarreal allowed 16 earned runs on 38 hits over 54 2/3 innings, good for a 2.63 ERA and a .201 batting average. His 66 strikeouts ranked second among Tigers relievers behind only Joaquin Benoit.

On a team that didn't have a consistent lefty reliever, Villarreal held left-handed hitters to a .190 batting average (12-for-63, 19 walks, 18 strikeouts).

If the Tigers stick with their bullpen as is, adding only top relief prospect Bruce Rondon, Villarreal has a chance to play a major role in middle relief, potentially even getting some setup work if Benoit or lefty Phil Coke get closing opportunities. That's a big reason why the Tigers have been deliberate in his offseason work, and why Detroit isn't taking any chances with him now after his second elbow flareup.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    #teamboom4life

MLB: Tigers
    NFL: Lions
    NHL: Red Wings
    CFB(Div I): Michigan
    CFB(Div II): Hillsdale

vCash
    One of Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski's favorite tidbits during last month's Winter Meetings was the high regard for Brayan Villarreal. One evaluator with another club, he said, told him Villarreal was the most promising young reliever he had seen all year.
    Silly question, but does the quote above relate to all relievers scouted or just relievers within the Tigers organization?

High praise either way, but if in reference to all scouted relievers that's crazy.

vCash
    Villarreal was shut down with elbow soreness. This might not be good.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Silly question, but does the quote above relate to all relievers scouted or just relievers within the Tigers organization?

High praise either way, but if in reference to all scouted relievers that's crazy.
    By the sound of the quote, I think it means all relievers.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Villarreal was shut down with elbow soreness. This might not be good.
    Agreed. If it's serious we will have to add a FA arm or trade for one.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Agreed. If it's serious we will have to add a FA arm or trade for one.
    Or offer Soriano 1yr/$9M

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast