Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    My take on the Arkansas job (DG or another fan can correct me if they think I'm way off base):

Whoever they hire at Arkansas needs to be either an outstanding recruiter or a sharp, creative playcaller on the offensive side of the ball. Or both. Arkansas has to recruit against the Mississippi schools for the top kids in that state, against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Okie State, Missouri, etc. for the midwestern recruits, and against Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Clemson, etc. for the recruits in the southeast.
    A lot of fans around here are calling for more of a defensive minded coach because even though Petrino was a great offensive mind, he neglected the defense during his tenure.

As for the recruiting part...it's just a tough place to recruit. The state is surrounded by Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Missouri...it's next to impossible to pull top recruits from those states and a lot of times they lose the best Arkansas recruits to better SEC programs as well.

Petrino was successful because he want hard after all the offensive players and landed a few 5 star guys and then a bunch of 4 star players. He also got lucky with Mallett transferring...that kinda put the program on the map for a couple years.
    I know Charlie Strong is a popular name for them right now and I'm a huge fan of his but a Gus Malzahn type of hire gives them another dose of unique, which is what a team in their position needs IMO.
    I think most people here want Charlie Strong. I wouldn't mind Malzahn because I think he could at the very least, recruit the state better than anyone, but I'd like to see him get more HC experience first.

Either way, Jeff Long (Arkansas AD) needs to hit a homerun with this hire or else he may be on the hot seat himself after firing Petrino and hiring such an awful replacement in John L. Smith.

vCash
    Joker Phillips is officially out at Kentucky will finish out the year but they have already put together a committee and are starting their coaching search. They have already said that Bobby Petrino isn't an option. But their list is said to already include

Sonny Dykes - LA Tech
    Dirk Koetter - Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator
    Brent Pease - Florida Offensive Coordinator
    Neal Brown - Texas Tech Offensive Coordinator
    Willie Taggart - Western Kentucky Head Coach

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

vCash
    So what about some updates.

Teams already looking

Kentucky
    Arkansas

Teams almost certain to be looking

Tennessee
    Auburn
    Boston College
    Southern Miss
    Washington State
    Colorado
    Hawaii
    Idaho

Teams that could be looking

USC
    Kansas
    Illinois
    Cal
    Maryland

vCash
    USC's AD has already said Kiffin will "absolutely" be back next year. So unless he left on his own, USC won't be among those looking for a coach. I would also be shocked if Kansas and Illinois made coaching changes after one season, regardless of how horrible they've been.

vCash
    I'm surprised Kiffin won't be fired, or at least seriously on the hot seat. I guess his value as a recruiter is worth his inconsistencies as a play caller.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    USC's AD has already said Kiffin will "absolutely" be back next year. So unless he left on his own, USC won't be among those looking for a coach. I would also be shocked if Kansas and Illinois made coaching changes after one season, regardless of how horrible they've been.
    I don't know those teams went backwards from when they were hired. That would be like Tennessee firing Derek Dooley for back-to-back 5-7 seasons and then his replacement going 3-9....

Kansas is gonna finish 1-11 and have lost 6 games by 2+ touchdowns. They also lost to Northern Illinois and Rice. The last time they were this bad was 1987.

Southern Miss is just shocking. This team went 12-2 last year and right now they are sitting at 0-10. Can anybody think of a bigger one season collapse?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I don't know those teams went backwards from when they were hired. That would be like Tennessee firing Derek Dooley for back-to-back 5-7 seasons and then his replacement going 3-9....

Kansas is gonna finish 1-11 and have lost 6 games by 2+ touchdowns. They also lost to Northern Illinois and Rice. The last time they were this bad was 1987.

Southern Miss is just shocking. This team went 12-2 last year and right now they are sitting at 0-10. Can anybody think of a bigger one season collapse?
    That's my school

We could crack the top 25 this week. I don't think that's a bad loss

vCash
    WoW Derek Dooley is getting it put on him on twitter and by his own players....

Tauren Poole said that they should have hired Al Pacino because at least he can act like a football coach.

Cody Pope said that now fans probably understand why he never would answer when he was asked what he thought of the coaching staff

Justin Hunter tweeted "I'm done"

But Dooley pretty much was saying his goodbyes on the post-game radio show. He said that he wanted to thank everybody for everything and that his family had enjoyed everything about Tennessee.

Some records/streaks that Derek Dooley set at Tennessee

- School record for most points allowed in a season
    - School record for most yards allowed in a season
    - 0-7 in SEC play for the first time in school history
    - Back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since 1910-1911
    - First loss at Vanderbilt in 30 years
    - 26-game winning streak against Kentucky snapped

And a big one in the making

In FBS history only 2 schools have never lost 8 or more games in a season.... Tennessee and Ohio State. Tennessee is currently 4-7 and have Kentucky next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    That's my school

We could crack the top 25 this week. I don't think that's a bad loss
    If you are a BCS program and struggling to get any wins at all you especially need to win games against teams from the MAC.

vCash
    Dooley is fired. I think Tennessee should go after Tommy Tubberville, not really, but it would be poetic justice to have him at Tennessee so he could beat up on Auburn every year. I liked Tubberville.

vCash
    So what about some updates.

Teams already looking

Kentucky
    Arkansas

Teams almost certain to be looking

Tennessee
    Auburn
    Boston College
    Southern Miss
    Washington State
    Colorado
    Hawaii
    Idaho

Teams that could be looking

USC
    Kansas
    Illinois
    Cal
    Maryland
    I'm not on campus anymore, but my friends who still are think the alumni and the big boosters are ready to riot. there was maybe 5000 students at the game yesterday. That said, I can't see Beckman being fired. The school is still paying the buyouts of Zook, Weber, and the women's BBall coach. Also, if you are a coach would you want to go to a program where you could be fired after one year?

My take is that they were all in on Sumlin and had no backup plan when he got a better offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    I'm not on campus anymore, but my friends who still are think the alumni and the big boosters are ready to riot. there was maybe 5000 students at the game yesterday. That said, I can't see Beckman being fired. The school is still paying the buyouts of Zook, Weber, and the women's BBall coach. Also, if you are a coach would you want to go to a program where you could be fired after one year?

My take is that they were all in on Sumlin and had no backup plan when he got a better offer.
    That pisses me off about these coaches contracts. They shouldn't get any buyouts. If you don't do your job then you don't get paid.... That is the way damn near every other company works. Why is it different in sports?

Did they seriously think that Sumlin was gonna chose Illinois over Texas A&M and some of the other schools that gave him offers?

vCash
    That pisses me off about these coaches contracts. They shouldn't get any buyouts. If you don't do your job then you don't get paid.... That is the way damn near every other company works. Why is it different in sports?

Did they seriously think that Sumlin was gonna chose Illinois over Texas A&M and some of the other schools that gave him offers?
    They were reportedly ready to offer him a blank check. They were hoping his connections to the Big 10 and a huge monetary offer would be enough. There are a lot of people that are hoping they make a run at Bobby Petrino now (not happening for a lot of reasons, starting with the way things ended with his brother last season). But, the AD can't admit that Beckman was a mistake after one year.

vCash
    I don't think Beckman should be fired yet. I think you have to at least give him a chance to get some of his guys in place. That being said I think he gets let go. Although I think Illini fans/alumni should lower their expectations. It's not as great of a job as they think it is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Dooley is fired. I think Tennessee should go after Tommy Tubberville, not really, but it would be poetic justice to have him at Tennessee so he could beat up on Auburn every year. I liked Tubberville.
    Thank God

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast