Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 256
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500

    Coaching rumors thread

    Its only been 3 weeks and already the coaching carousel is already getting fired up as programs and fans are already looking elsewhere.

    Derek Dooley - Tennessee

    This was supposed to be the year for Tennessee. This is supposedly the best team they have had in years. Yet it didn't change anything yesterday as the Gators blew up the Vols for the 8th year in a row. Fans in Knoxville are begging for the program to go after Bobby Petrino.

    There is still room for Tennessee to have a good season but there is so much negativity right know in Knoxville.

    - The fans were chanting "Dooley sucks" as the players were going to the lockers.

    - Under Derek Dooley the Vols have been outscored 279-128 in the 2nd half by SEC opponents. Furthermore his teams were outscored in the 2nd half at LA Tech and he has never won a game while trailing or being tied at halftime.

    - If you watched the game you may recall a play where Tyler Bray threw the ball out of bounds right into the hands of Derek Dooley who spiked it immediately after catching the pass. The rumors going around that Bray threw it his direction on purpose out of frustration at the playcalling.

    - In the last 18 minutes of the game Florida outgained Tennessee 305 to 35. You could see it in the 4th quarter they just basically quit on the field.

    John L. Smith - Arkansas


    I think we all knew this was only gonna be a 1-year issue but at this rate he may not even last the season. The rumors are already going around that they are expected to make a huge push to get Charlie Strong from Arkansas.

    Joker Phillips - Kentucky

    A win over Tennessee last year likely bought him another year. He will probably need more magic this year to keep his job after getting blown out by Louisville and losing to Western Kentucky. Those fans won't stand for losing that way to other local teams.

    Gene Chizik - Auburn

    Aside from a national championship season with Cam Newton then Gene Chizik has done nothing as a head coach to warrant being an SEC coach. Unless they get better quick and pull off some upsets its hard to see Auburn doing better than 6-7 wins. And that is pretty much par for the course. If you take away that championship season Gene Chizik is 22-31 as a head coach. He has gone 15-12 at Auburn aside from season as well.

    Jon Embree - Colorado

    Its hard to imagine a worse start for a BCS conference team. Colorado is 0-3 and have been embarrassed thus far.... Oh and this against the easy part of their schedule. They play 5 ranked teams in their next 7 games.

    In week one Colorado lost 17-22 against Colorado State.

    In week two they lost to FCS team Sacramento State 30-28.....

    Then yesterday they lost 69-14 to Fresno State. They were down 55-7 at halftime before Fresno State let off the gas. If not for that last touchdown it would have been the worst loss ever by a BCS conference team against a non-BCS opponent.


    What are some others guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,329
    vCash
    1500
    Phillips is definitely on the hot seat. Losing to Western Kentucky is just inexcusable.

    There is still time for Tennessee to put together an 8-win season or maybe better if they're lucky. With that offense and those playmakers, they'll have a chance in probably every game they play. And it's not likely they'll give up two backbreaking 80-yard touchdowns in three drives many more times this season.

    I doubt Auburn finishes better than 6-6 this year unless they improve in a hurry. If that's how the season plays out next year, I could see Chizik getting the ax. But two years removed from a national championship, a 6-6 season isn't bad enough for them to let him go. They went 8-5 last year if I'm not mistaken.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    Posts
    1,106
    vCash
    1500
    Tedfords getting a lot of heat out here but he gets us to bowl games and being mediocre is acceptable with Cal football, but it seems a lot of fans are getting sick of him. Yesterday was the first time this year (still early I know) that Cal fans didn't seem to angry with Tedford other than the field goal attempt.

    Agreed with your list of for the other coaches on the hot seat.
    Why in the world is it so important to get the calls right ?
    -7chuck7


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    Phillips is definitely on the hot seat. Losing to Western Kentucky is just inexcusable.

    There is still time for Tennessee to put together an 8-win season or maybe better if they're lucky. With that offense and those playmakers, they'll have a chance in probably every game they play. And it's not likely they'll give up two backbreaking 80-yard touchdowns in three drives many more times this season.

    I doubt Auburn finishes better than 6-6 this year unless they improve in a hurry. If that's how the season plays out next year, I could see Chizik getting the ax. But two years removed from a national championship, a 6-6 season isn't bad enough for them to let him go. They went 8-5 last year if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah Joker Phillips is most likely gone unless they pull some kind of upset again this year.

    I expect Tennessee to still win 8-9 games this year and people won't be as mad after they get some wins. But if they do keep losing to these SEC Teams and they only go like 6-6 or something then Dooley might be gone. Because they are gonna take a step back after this season if Tyler Bray, Justin Hunter and some of these others leave early in addition to the seniors they are gonna lose anyways. This was supposed to be the season they were building towards and if they only win 6-7 games knowing that they are gonna be rebuilding again the next couple seasons it may not be pretty.

    Aside from the championship season Auburn went 7-5 with a bowl win the other two seasons. They will be lucky as hell to go 7-5 this year.

    If that is to be expected then Auburn fans won't have it....
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 09-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,329
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Yeah Joker Phillips is most likely gone unless they pull some kind of upset again this year.

    I expect Tennessee to still win 8-9 games this year and people won't be as mad after they get some wins. But if they do keep losing to these SEC Teams and they only go like 6-6 or something then Dooley might be gone. Because they are gonna take a step back after this season if Tyler Bray, Justin Hunter and some of these others leave early in addition to the seniors they are gonna lose anyways. This was supposed to be the season they were building towards and if they only win 6-7 games knowing that they are gonna be rebuilding again the next couple seasons it may not be pretty.

    Aside from the championship season Auburn went 7-5 with a bowl win the other two seasons. They will be lucky as hell to go 7-5 this year.

    If that is to be expected then Auburn fans won't have it....
    Their offense is so far ahead of their defense right now. It's the opposite of 2009 when their defense kept them in games against teams like Florida and Alabama and resulted in blowout wins over Georgia and South Carolina.

    Our offense is clearly leagues ahead of where it was last year but we're far from a well-oiled machine. If we could rack up almost 600 yards of offense against them in Neyland, Alabama could set records.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,198
    vCash
    1470
    I remember watching Auburn luck out against Northwestern in their bowl game before the championship season. They had some talent but they just looked like a poorly coached team. Too bad NU couldn't make a field goal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I remember watching Auburn luck out against Northwestern in their bowl game before the championship season. They had some talent but they just looked like a poorly coached team. Too bad NU couldn't make a field goal.
    I remember that game, I was very disappointed. I was rooting hard for northwestern

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    Local radio guys in Eugene were talking about the demise of Colorado, and it is pretty insane. They weren't derailed by sanctions, they just have made bad hires over and over. It's crazy to think that Colorado won a national championship a little bit over 20 years ago, and made the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, and now they might be the worst BCS conference team in the country.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Local radio guys in Eugene were talking about the demise of Colorado, and it is pretty insane. They weren't derailed by sanctions, they just have made bad hires over and over. It's crazy to think that Colorado won a national championship a little bit over 20 years ago, and made the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, and now they might be the worst BCS conference team in the country.
    Yeah I remember when I was in elementary school they were one of the best teams in the country. And now just flat out awful like you mentioned among the worst in the country.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    1500
    I guess Wisconsin fans are becoming very frustrated by Bret Bielema. He's kind of an ******* but always seemed to be a good coach. He lost almost all his coordinators and assistants last off season. Gotta make you wonder what happens the rest of the year after a very close opening day win vs northern Iowa, a loss to Oregon state where they scored 1 touch down and then they only beat Utah state because the kicker missed a close field goal.

    If they dont play significantly better they will lose to Nebraska, Michigan state, Ohio state and I'm not gonna lie, purdue is playing good enough right now to beat them.

    I don't think he will be fired but if he doesn't improve his team greatly and they lose to those teams in the big10 his seat will at least be getting pretty warm.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    I guess Wisconsin fans are becoming very frustrated by Bret Bielema. He's kind of an ******* but always seemed to be a good coach. He lost almost all his coordinators and assistants last off season. Gotta make you wonder what happens the rest of the year after a very close opening day win vs northern Iowa, a loss to Oregon state where they scored 1 touch down and then they only beat Utah state because the kicker missed a close field goal.

    If they dont play significantly better they will lose to Nebraska, Michigan state, Ohio state and I'm not gonna lie, purdue is playing good enough right now to beat them.

    I don't think he will be fired but if he doesn't improve his team greatly and they lose to those teams in the big10 his seat will at least be getting pretty warm.
    The guy has went 10-3, 11-2 and 11-3 the last 3 years with 2 Big 10 championships. Hasn't he earned one down season especially after having a bunch of new wrinkles to the program.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Yeah I remember when I was in elementary school they were one of the best teams in the country. And now just flat out awful like you mentioned among the worst in the country.
    Yeah, it's a pretty crazy fall from where they once were at.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The guy has went 10-3, 11-2 and 11-3 the last 3 years with 2 Big 10 championships. Hasn't he earned one down season especially after having a bunch of new wrinkles to the program.
    He definitely has. Wisconsin isn't the type of program that should be firing a coach after one bad season anyway.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    1500
    Im not saying he will be fired, like I said his seat will be getting warm. When people project you as one of the best teams In the league and (like my post said they keep struggling) when you struggle that badly a coach at any program will start to warm. It's not like I said he's walking the fine line of getting fired but the spark will be there and if this happens again next year then the seat will be hot.

    It's not like I said this is it, it's over for him in Wisconsin. Just that if he doesn't improve his teams significantly his seat will be warming by the end of he year and if this happens again next year it will be very hot. His team is playing very well under their potential

    What I'm saying is if his if his team performs at this leval the rest of this year and performs this level next year then his job will be in consideration, he will probably get another year but if he fails he will be fired. But this season a spark is already starting! It's more than being 2-1. They could easily be 0-3. People are frustrated and it will only become worse if they don't improve
    Last edited by Skippy15; 09-21-2012 at 09:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    3 of the guys on my list in the opening are one step closer to unemployment

    Tennessee was a 34-point favorite and currently is tied with Akron at halftime

    Arkansas is losing by 2 touchdowns to Rutgers in the 4th quarter

    Kentucky lost to Florida 38-0 in a game where they literally done nothing on offense and had a quarterback in the game go 7-21 with 3 interceptions and most of those incomplete passes were uncatchable balls. He had several passes where guys were wide open down the field for what would have been sure touchdowns and he either overthrew or underthrew them by 5-10 yards

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    55,356
    vCash
    1500
    John L. Smith won't last half a season at this rate. He was only on a 10 month contract to begin with, so it's not a big deal, but this is already a lost season for the Hogs. No point in keeping a lame duck coach around much longer when he's already given you every excuse in the world to fire him.

    With the rumors about Strong (who's apparently very interested) and some other names like Butch Davis (who lives in the area), I can't imagine Smith making it through the first week of October as the Head Coach.

    Also, I'd love to see Chizik fired. I've never been impressed with him as a coach and Auburn's championship season was one of the flukiest I can remember...that team would have been middle of the pack SEC at best without Cam Newton (that should tell you how ridiculously good he was in his 1 season there).
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 09-22-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •