Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 256
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    A short list of coaches that could be looking to move up the ladder

    David Cutcliffe - Duke (being rumored at Tennessee if they make a change)
    Art Briles - Baylor (being rumored at Arkansas)
    Paul Rhoads - Iowa State (being rumored at Auburn which is funny)
    Butch Jones - Cincinnati (being rumored at Tennessee)
    Charlie Strong - Louisville (being rumored at Arkansas)
    Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern
    Willie Taggart - Western Kentucky (being rumored at Kentucky)

    I'm amazed that nobody mentions Pat Fitzgerald for any job openings. The guy is only 37 years old but has a record of 47-38 at Northwestern and needs just one more win to have them bowl eligible for the 6th year in a row.

    I don't think that Arkansas believes they can get Charlie Strong who likely can do better if he waits at Louisville. They were talking about Art Briles having connections to Arkansas today on the radio.

    Supposedly Butch Jones and Charlie Strong are at the top of Tennessee's list but David Cutcliffe is seen as a fall back plan.

    If Auburn hires Paul Rhoads that would be hilarious because he comes from Iowa State just like Chizik. But even funnier in that he was the defensive coordinator at Auburn when Chizik took over and he opted not to keep him on the staff and Rhoads went on to get the job at Iowa State where he done a better job than Chizik and now is being rumored to take his job at Auburn.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 10-28-2012 at 02:27 AM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    51,271
    vCash
    1500
    Auburn can go die, stay away from Rhoads. Stay far away.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,988
    vCash
    1500
    I can't see Pat Fitzgerald leaving for hardly any program in the country. He loves it there

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I can't see Pat Fitzgerald leaving for hardly any program in the country. He loves it there
    They all say that until they are offered 2-3 times what they are currently making....

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    53,272
    vCash
    1500
    Another guy rumored at Arkansas is Tommy Tuberville, though I'm not a fan, he does make some sense. He wanted the job way back when Houston Nutt was hired and it'd be kinda funny considering Petrino was secretly interviewed for the Auburn job when Tuberville was still the coach there.

    A lot of people around here love Gary Patterson too, but I just don't see it with TCU being the Big 12 now. He built that program into what it is today, not sure why he'd leave for a reclamation project that's going to take 3-5 years to make competitive again in a ridiculous conference.

    I'll also throw Gus Malzahn's name out there, but I'm not sure Jeff Long can make such a risky hire this time around. He needs to hit a homerun after the disastrous John L. Smith hire.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 10-30-2012 at 09:54 PM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Another guy rumored at Arkansas is Tommy Tuberville, though I'm not a fan, he does make some sense. He wanted the job way back when Houston Nutt was hired and it'd be kinda funny considering Petrino was secretly interviewed for the Auburn job when Tuberville was still the coach there.

    A lot of people around here love Gary Patterson too, but I just don't see it with TCU being the Big 12 now. He built that program into what it is today, not sure why he'd leave for a reclamation project that's going to take 3-5 years to make competitive again in a ridiculous conference.

    I'll also throw Gus Malzahn's name out there, but I'm not sure Jeff Long can make such a risky hire this time around. He needs to hit a homerun after the disastrous John L. Smith hire.
    Yeah I remember everybody talking about Tuberville going to Arkansas the last time around and Gus Malzahn for some reason I don't think it happens but it would make a good deal of sense. I guess like you said maybe they want somebody proven given the current state of the program.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,757
    vCash
    1500
    Not really a hot-seat post, but here's some other coaching changes that may occur.

    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I'm guessing Garry Patterson is Texas's coach next season. Apparently he is interested in other opportunities, and Texas is going to be easily the best job available this off-season assuming they don't screw up and keep Brown. Most likely a force-out occurs.

    Also, it sounds very possible that Chip could be in the NFL next year, and that likely means Mark Helfrich will be promoted. Now, I'd be lying if I said I knew Chip's decision process, but there is a lot of smoke that suggests Chip is very interested in giving it a shot. It would be a big blow, but I think the structure that is in-place at Oregon could keep us at a contending level depending on who Helfrich hires as assistants (Chip will take some assistants with him if he leaves most likely).

    If Oregon looks for an outsider to take over, then Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson are probably the only candidates worth mentioning. Petersen has ties to Oregon since he was an assistant here, and there have been rumors that there is a special buy-out for if Oregon gives him the job, and he would have easier access in leaving BSU. Personally, I think Petersen is a BSU lifer, but Oregon is one of those jobs that may be enough to entice Petersen to rethink his stance.

    As for Patterson, I already mentioned that I think he's going to Texas. Oregon is a great job, but Texas is still a better job even though they have been down (recruiting pipeline, money, tradition, etc.). Now, if Texas isn't an option, then Oregon would probably be the top job on the market. Patterson could keep the offense the way it is at Oregon, and he could mold the defense in his own vision. Plus, Oregon's recruiting efforts in Texas have paid off, so Patterson's recruiting roots in Texas would mesh better at Oregon than people would think. At the end of the day, I'm guessing Helfrich is the guy if Chip moves on, but hopefully we don't have to go down this road for a few more seasons.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Not really a hot-seat post, but here's some other coaching changes that may occur.

    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I'm guessing Garry Patterson is Texas's coach next season. Apparently he is interested in other opportunities, and Texas is going to be easily the best job available this off-season assuming they don't screw up and keep Brown. Most likely a force-out occurs.

    Also, it sounds very possible that Chip could be in the NFL next year, and that likely means Mark Helfrich will be promoted. Now, I'd be lying if I said I knew Chip's decision process, but there is a lot of smoke that suggests Chip is very interested in giving it a shot. It would be a big blow, but I think the structure that is in-place at Oregon could keep us at a contending level depending on who Helfrich hires as assistants (Chip will take some assistants with him if he leaves most likely).

    If Oregon looks for an outsider to take over, then Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson are probably the only candidates worth mentioning. Petersen has ties to Oregon since he was an assistant here, and there have been rumors that there is a special buy-out for if Oregon gives him the job, and he would have easier access in leaving BSU. Personally, I think Petersen is a BSU lifer, but Oregon is one of those jobs that may be enough to entice Petersen to rethink his stance.

    As for Patterson, I already mentioned that I think he's going to Texas. Oregon is a great job, but Texas is still a better job even though they have been down (recruiting pipeline, money, tradition, etc.). Now, if Texas isn't an option, then Oregon would probably be the top job on the market. Patterson could keep the offense the way it is at Oregon, and he could mold the defense in his own vision. Plus, Oregon's recruiting efforts in Texas have paid off, so Patterson's recruiting roots in Texas would mesh better at Oregon than people would think. At the end of the day, I'm guessing Helfrich is the guy if Chip moves on, but hopefully we don't have to go down this road for a few more seasons.
    Texas should be the top job in the country. You pretty much have everything. But that goes both ways.... Because you also have incredible expectations.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,757
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Texas should be the top job in the country. You pretty much have everything. But that goes both ways.... Because you also have incredible expectations.
    I agree. They have the pick of the best athletes in Texas and don't have very much competition for those players. Sure, teams like Oregon and Oklahoma get some of those players but Texas typically gets whomever they want. The other talent rich states typically have more elite schools to compete with, but in Texas they are clearly the king.

    Their financial resources are insane as well, and the Longhorn Network is a cash cow and huge recruiting tool. However, your point about expectations is spot-on. For the most part Mack Brown has done incredible at UT, but that isn't enough for their fans. If they could get a guy like Gary Patterson then they could be downright scary though.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    Gary Patterson would be silly to turn that down as well. TCU is a solid program but he pretty much has done all he is ever gonna be able to do especially now that they are in the Big 12.

    The same with Chris Petersen at Boise State. If he can go to Oregon he needs to do it because Boise State still is gonna be on the outside looking in being a Big East conference which is marginally better than being in the Mountain West.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,329
    vCash
    1500
    My take on the Arkansas job (DG or another fan can correct me if they think I'm way off base):

    Whoever they hire at Arkansas needs to be either an outstanding recruiter or a sharp, creative playcaller on the offensive side of the ball. Or both. Arkansas has to recruit against the Mississippi schools for the top kids in that state, against Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Okie State, Missouri, etc. for the midwestern recruits, and against Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Clemson, etc. for the recruits in the southeast.

    Arkansas was a top ten caliber team the last few years because they hit the jackpot on a few under the radar receiver recruits like Jarius Wright and Greg Childs and because of Bobby Petrino's acumen as an offensive football coach.

    I know Charlie Strong is a popular name for them right now and I'm a huge fan of his but a Gus Malzahn type of hire gives them another dose of unique, which is what a team in their position needs IMO.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    19,757
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Gary Patterson would be silly to turn that down as well. TCU is a solid program but he pretty much has done all he is ever gonna be able to do especially now that they are in the Big 12.
    I agree. TCU doesn't have the resources that Texas does, and they will never be the draw that Texas is to recruits. I think it helps TCU's hopes of keeping Patterson that they are in the Big 12 now, but they still need to worry about this type of job being offered to him.

    The same with Chris Petersen at Boise State. If he can go to Oregon he needs to do it because Boise State still is gonna be on the outside looking in being a Big East conference which is marginally better than being in the Mountain West.
    I'm not sure what his ideals in a job are. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but I've heard that he is reluctant to relocate due to familial reasons. Not sure what it is, but I've heard this is true. It seems like he would get bored just destroying sorry competition week after week, but it's hard to say what he wants out of coaching. If he wants to win a National Championship, then going to Oregon would make a ton of sense, but who knows. He would obviously get paid more, have much better support from the administration, have much better recruiting pipelines, etc.

    The crazy thing about Petersen is that I could see some Duck fans not being receptive toward the idea due to moving into a different direction stylistically on offense.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011


  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15,461
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kings Analyst View Post
    Tedfords getting a lot of heat out here but he gets us to bowl games and being mediocre is acceptable with Cal football, but it seems a lot of fans are getting sick of him. Yesterday was the first time this year (still early I know) that Cal fans didn't seem to angry with Tedford other than the field goal attempt.

    Agreed with your list of for the other coaches on the hot seat.
    Something that might save him is his contract.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, CA
    Posts
    1,107
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Something that might save him is his contract.
    See this is the problem and a good point, but alums are sick of Tedford it seems, as well as fans. Also there's a rumor that booster alums are getting money set up to be able to pay Tedford/assistants the money for when he is fired.

    Last night we officially became not bowl eligible and we still have two games left. Tedford can't get the players to close out games especially games we should have won like Nevada, Ohio State, and Washington. He'll probably get another year, and hopefully he rebounds because we definitely have the talent especially with Keenan coming back. Going to be a tough last two games though against Oregon, and Oregon State especially with it seemingly looking like our starting QB(Maynard) is out after the dirty shot last night. Time to see what Tedfords made of.
    Why in the world is it so important to get the calls right ?
    -7chuck7


  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    39,212
    vCash
    1500
    Kentucky lost 40-0 to Vanderbilt.... As if it wasn't already a lock for him to lose his job he mind as well start packing up his things.

    Also Derek Dooley only made his situation even worse today as Tennessee had to score a last-minute touchdown to beat Troy 55-48. If they lose another game this year he is as good as gone and right now I am thinking that Vanderbilt will beat them....

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •