Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: how long will the 2012-2013 lockout last?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • its over within a week, nothing missed

0 0%
  • some of the preseason cancelled, regular season ok

3 13.04%
  • all of preseason gone, some of regular season gone

10 43.48%
  • all preseason gone, majorly condensed regular season

4 17.39%
  • no regular season at all. we're all muy triste.

6 26.09%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    wonderful, an injury that can nag a whole year great job Jeremy Jacobs and co.
    So...PC looking pretty smart picking Subban

If Tuukka can't handle physically the riggers of europe how the heck is he going to handle the nhl?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bleedB&G View Post
    So...PC looking pretty smart picking Subban

If Tuukka can't handle physically the riggers of europe how the heck is he going to handle the nhl?
    definitely, sucks Subban is AT LEAST 3 years away (maybe more ) hopefully the groin isn't that serious but you're right about tuukka..didn't this happen to Hannu Toivenan, talented finish goalie but injury ruined his career ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    TBH if hockey ceased to exist most of these players would be fine. I've posted it before but the average American over their lifetime makes $2 million. I would guess that 85% of the NHL players make that in a season. If as of today hockey ceased to exist these players could live for years without a job.

Let me ask you this question. Lets say you own a company where you are the sole investor. You have a small group of workers, lets say 15 workers. At the end of the year you've generated $3 million in revenue. Would you be willing to give $1.7 million to your workers?
    Uggghhh. Can we please stop talking about NHL owners and players as though their situation in any remote way relates to our lives? NHL players are not like "workers" for a company. The vast majority of workers for virtually any company are totally replaceable with other people that have a similar skill set/training/education, etc... NHL players have elite talent honed over their entire lifetime, that allows them to do something the rest of us cannot. Also, unlike normal workers for a company, THEY are the reason that people buy the products their company makes (game tickets, jerseys, merchandise, etc...).

If you side with the owners in this dispute you're certainly entitled to that position. But trying to draw parallels to normal people and normal business situations is misguided at best.

vCash
    TBH if hockey ceased to exist most of these players would be fine. I've posted it before but the average American over their lifetime makes $2 million. I would guess that 85% of the NHL players make that in a season. If as of today hockey ceased to exist these players could live for years without a job.

Let me ask you this question. Lets say you own a company where you are the sole investor. You have a small group of workers, lets say 15 workers. At the end of the year you've generated $3 million in revenue. Would you be willing to give $1.7 million to your workers?
    First part of your post is shaky at best. "Live for years without a job" kinda proves my point. The players would not be financially secure. They would be ok for a bit sure, but then what? They have little to no education and would totally have to restart their lives.

The second part of your post? Absolutely I'd give more profits back to my employees than I gave myself. That's just good business. In fact I'd probably give more than 57%. But that's me and I'm not a greedy money grubbing liver spotted rich guy like most of these owners seem to be.

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeelyforPres View Post
    First part of your post is shaky at best. "Live for years without a job" kinda proves my point. The players would not be financially secure. They would be ok for a bit sure, but then what? They have little to no education and would totally have to restart their lives.
    Are you serious? A player who makes $2 million in one season could live off that for nearly 40 years (if living as the average person does). As far as education goes they are not bad off. In 2009 it was found that 86% of American's had an education level no higher then a High School diploma. I'm 99% positive that every player in the NHL has a minimum a High School diploma.

The second part of your post? Absolutely I'd give more profits back to my employees than I gave myself. That's just good business. In fact I'd probably give more than 57%. But that's me and I'm not a greedy money grubbing liver spotted rich guy like most of these owners seem to be.
    You probably wouldn't be in business long then.

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Are you serious? A player who makes $2 million in one season could live off that for nearly 40 years (if living as the average person does). As far as education goes they are not bad off. In 2009 it was found that 86% of American's had an education level no higher then a High School diploma. I'm 99% positive that every player in the NHL has a minimum a High School diploma.

You probably wouldn't be in business long then.
    A player making 2 million gets taxed right? What is their take home 1.4 million? (Total guesstimate). Then you have to pay your agent. So maybe you get 1.2 - 1.3 million dollars. A single person could live off of 1-2 million for a decade maybe. Of course you would have to pay for your own health care which is significant.

It boggles mind that you are trying to say the owners take more risk. Agree to disagree.

To your second point. Your view of business is totally shortsighted just like the NHL's. I would never ask my "workers" (in this case, as the LAbruinsfan pointed out, an elite dedicated work-force) to take a significant pay cut, after producing and performing giant profits, and also after getting raked coming out of the last lockout.

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeelyforPres View Post
    A player making 2 million gets taxed right? What is their take home 1.4 million? (Total guesstimate). Then you have to pay your agent. So maybe you get 1.2 - 1.3 million dollars. A single person could live off of 1-2 million for a decade maybe. Of course you would have to pay for your own health care which is significant.
    The average expenses for a family in 2009 was around $50,000 a year. Let's just say after all the taxes and agents a player get $1 million to take home. based on the average expenses (50,000) a player could live off of $1,000 for 20 years.

It boggles mind that you are trying to say the owners take more risk. Agree to disagree.
    The owners have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in these teams and the players have NOTHING invested in them. I know everyone likes to say "oh, well it's just an expensive hobby". The problem is, it's not a hobby it's a business that is supposed to make money. Just because these owners make money else where doesn't mean they should have to lose millions in the NHL.

To your second point. Your view of business is totally shortsighted just like the NHL's. I would never ask my "workers" (in this case, as the LAbruinsfan pointed out, an elite dedicated work-force) to take a significant pay cut, after producing and performing giant profits, and also after getting raked coming out of the last lockout.
    What paycut? Last season they got their contractual salary PLUS the NHLPA took 57% of HRR. What the players get via HRR is a BONUS and a very generous one at that. Do you know what is holding us back from having a NHL season? The players getting $1.65 billion in BONUSES vs. $1.88 billion. If the players would agree to a 50/50 year 1 of the new CBA it would every single NHL team losing money into black.

So if the players would give up 7% of their "bonuses" we could have a season.

vCash
    Naoko Funayama @NaokoFunayama
    Patrice Bergeron (HC Lugano) has upperbody injury. Day-to-day. Missed last game but practiced today. Questionable for tomorrow's game

vCash
    are all our guys getting hurt over there, major or minor, i don't like it....next we'll see Seguin blow a knee or Chara break an arm.....**** this, thank you NHL and NHLPA once again....Just love the fans i guess.... BIG MIDDLE FINGER TO YOU

vCash
    This is squarely on the players. The owners have been willing to negotiate and the players want everything or nothing. If they don't get this thing done and play a full season (looking unlikely now) then I will never watch the NHL again. I would rather watch high school or college play hockey then these morons.

Darryl
    Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507682257

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
    This is squarely on the players. The owners have been willing to negotiate and the players want everything or nothing. If they don't get this thing done and play a full season (looking unlikely now) then I will never watch the NHL again. I would rather watch high school or college play hockey then these morons.
    no, no, and no.............don't just blame the players, this is BOTH sides, this is Bettman AND Fehr, this is the owners AND the players.....how willing are the owners? they put out a "nice looking" proposal (PR move) and the players offered 3 (THREE) counters and they turned each one down in a span of 10 minutes each. that isn't negoiating, i'm sorry...and the players aren't willing to sit down with them and get this out of the way....it's both sides, and if you stop watching hockey b/c you think its all on the players then oh well, sucks for you, but don't put full blame on the players because they got RAPED last time by the owners and aren't going to do it again, especially after what these Dbag owners are asking them to cut...once again BOTH SIDES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
    This isn't squarely on anyone. Both sides are at fault. I personally side more with the players simply because the owners have shown a total lack of respect for the players from their first ridiculous offer to the ultimatums they are now tossing around. While the owners latest 50/50 offer sounds great on the surface, they are asking for a ton of concessions on other issues (contract length, free agency, honoring existing contracts that the owners stupidly agreed to in the first place, etc...). I encourage anyone supporting the owners to read this article from the Detroit News. It pretty well lays out the owners tactics from the start of this process.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...cs-735113.html

The bottom line is that the NHL was trying to bully the players from the start. The players got pissed and held their ground. Now it's turned into a giant pissing contest where both sides are guilty of digging in and not really negotiating in good faith. If the NHL had started with a reasonable proposal I think this whole thing would be done by now.

As far as you or anyone else no longer watching the NHL, go for it. It's the only way that we may be able to avoid something like this in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Bruins Fan View Post
    This isn't squarely on anyone. Both sides are at fault. I personally side more with the players simply because the owners have shown a total lack of respect for the players from their first ridiculous offer to the ultimatums they are now tossing around. While the owners latest 50/50 offer sounds great on the surface, they are asking for a ton of concessions on other issues (contract length, free agency, honoring existing contracts that the owners stupidly agreed to in the first place, etc...). I encourage anyone supporting the owners to read this article from the Detroit News. It pretty well lays out the owners tactics from the start of this process.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...cs-735113.html

The bottom line is that the NHL was trying to bully the players from the start. The players got pissed and held their ground. Now it's turned into a giant pissing contest where both sides are guilty of digging in and not really negotiating in good faith. If the NHL had started with a reasonable proposal I think this whole thing would be done by now.

As far as you or anyone else no longer watching the NHL, go for it. It's the only way that we may be able to avoid something like this in the future.
    Sorry but Gregg Krupa is a very biased man. The guy loves to go after the NHL and it's owners. Every article he writes about the lockout is another chance for him to bash Bettman and the owners. Here's some quotes from his articles

Bettman and the owners continue alienating the players, not to mention the governments and fans
    Bettman and the owners have miscalculated repeatedly and badly, apparently brushing aside an important consideration
    When Bettman and the owners finally stop testing and start real negotiations, they will be within one week of a settlement.
    Perhaps the best thing that can come from this fiasco is a determination by taxpayers and politicians that when billionaire owners approach them with their hands out for more money to build arenas, they will remind the billionaires — as the fans and taxpayers should remind the governments — Bettman and the owners are unreliable business partners.
    They guy will not say an ill thing about the NHLPA and make it sound as though Bettman and the owners are completely at fault.
    Last edited by OneManIsNoMan; 10-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.

vCash
    Sorry but I take anything Gregg Krupa writes with a grain of salt. The guy loves to go after the NHL and it's owners. Every article he writes about the lockout is another chance for him to bash Bettman and the owners.
    I'll buy that he may be biased. Admittedly, I haven't read much of his stuff. But I do think that he makes a valid point in the sense that the NHL has clearly been kind of poking and prodding - trying to find the pulse of the players union from the outset of this process.

They started things off with a proposal that was beyond ridiculous so that they could see how the union would react. And even though the NHL has gotten a little more reasonable with their subsequent offers, they're still constantly throwing out ultimatums, drop-dead dates where offers will be pulled, and just generally treating the players like the cattle that one NHL executive already compared them to.

Even if the owners don't respect the players or their union, the fact that they make it so apparent to everyone really kills them in the court of public opinion. They clearly don't care much about that though. I'm guessing that when the lockout finally ends and we eventually have a Stanley Cup trophy presentation, the boos for Gary Bettman will be deafening.

vCash
    Not to get off topic but I have a question. Why is it Hall, Eberle, RNH, Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier can all play in the AHL but Seguin couldn't?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast