Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ryan Kesler singled out as diver in NHLís crackdown on embellishment

At the NHL rules summit in August, a combination of executives and coaches and players addressed one of the League's growing on-ice problems: Embellishment, and the embellishers who embellish.

In order to curb diving, a few players involved in the forum supported the public shaming of chronic floppers. From NHL VP Colin Campbell, via NHL.com:

"They want to get [the list] out there," Campbell said. "They want the player to be caught, whether it's on the ice by the referee or by us on video. They are all tired of diving. The object is to make them stop eventually and, by doing that, they can get it out there around the League, embarrass them. The referees will know it, too, so the divers don't get the benefit of the doubt."
    To that end, a few of the names prominently mentioned in those meetings have been leaked by Darren Dreger of TSN. Chief among them: Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks.
    Fun fact: His teammate, Kevin Bieksa, was a part of the rules summit. (Awwwwkward…)
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8143--nhl.html

vCash
    I totally agree though. The Sedins are divers too. I wish the would just power through instead of trying to draw a call cause honestly I think the would get more calls that way.

vCash
    IMO it's tied to two things: Kesler and Burrows came into the league under Burke and Crawford, who liked agitators who could draw penalties, and second, Gillis' strategy to beat the opposition on the PP. Both these things created a badly flawed couple of core players.

Bruins fans were right when they kept pointing out that they won 5 on 5 situations most often. The Canucks need to strengthen themselves 5 on 5 and de-emphasize the PP if they have any chance of contending.

And obviously, the last vestiges of the rat mentality that Burrows and Kesler have, need to be shaken. Because they're just not going to get the calls anymore, and I think that's totally right. They need to play the game and stop diving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    I totally agree though. The Sedins are divers too. I wish the would just power through instead of trying to draw a call cause honestly I think the would get more calls that way.
    Their diving is a bit different but it's still diving. They're frustrated as hell because of the way they're being played with so much interference and cheap shots. They have to leave that to Gillis who can pressure the league into enforcing their own rules. Diving is not going to do anything but give them a bad rep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Their diving is a bit different but it's still diving. They're frustrated as hell because of the way they're being played with so much interference and cheap shots. They have to leave that to Gillis who can pressure the league into enforcing their own rules. Diving is not going to do anything but give them a bad rep.
    This happens to a lot of stars. Toews, for example, was getting mauled last year without calls. Obviously the refs aren't going to call every little thing. Doesn't mean they should dive. Just means they should get a talented big guy on their line that can keep the other team in line. Will that stop the cheap shots? Not completely, but it would definitely cut it down a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    This happens to a lot of stars. Toews, for example, was getting mauled last year without calls. Obviously the refs aren't going to call every little thing. Doesn't mean they should dive. Just means they should get a talented big guy on their line that can keep the other team in line. Will that stop the cheap shots? Not completely, but it would definitely cut it down a bit.
    Agreed. Back to the Gretzky and Semenko days I guess but hey whatever it takes. All I know is that no one likes diving. The Canucks know they need to toughen their roster, and this is as good a reason as any.

btw did Toews start to dive as a result? Doesn't sound like his style.

vCash
    Agreed. Back to the Gretzky and Semenko days I guess but hey whatever it takes. All I know is that no one likes diving. The Canucks know they need to toughen their roster, and this is as good a reason as any.

btw did Toews start to dive as a result? Doesn't sound like his style.
    No, he didn't start to dive. That's my point. The Sedins are too talented to be doing that stuff. I'd love it if someone called out Crosby for diving. He pulls some pretty cheap stuff.

vCash
    Please do not take this as baiting.

When Kesler was a third liner, and making that move as a second liner, I loved him. He seemed to change a bit of his grittiness, and did start diving. He started diving a lot. It's ashame too. I personally cannot stand. I can't stand the boarding calls when the player turns their back either

vCash
    ^^ I don't take either of these posts as baiting, mostly because there's no denying what you're saying.

It still has to be frustrating to be a major star having to deal with this crap.

vCash
    What do you guys think of the photos going up of offenders in dressing rooms?

vCash
    Is Kesler really the biggest diver out there?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesnít matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, weíre going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    ^^ I don't take either of these posts as baiting, mostly because there's no denying what you're saying.

It still has to be frustrating to be a major star having to deal with this crap.
    Without a doubt. I'd still like to see teams offset that by putting a big guy to protect their stars.

What do you guys think of the photos going up of offenders in dressing rooms?
    I like it. It shows who some of the primary guys doing it are. Thing is, there's a lot more players here that aren't mentioned. They mentioned Malkin but didn't mention Crosby, who dives and does other cheap stuff sometimes. The Sedins as I've already mentioned, although they get the star treatment from other teams (lots of cheap stuff against). Brad Marchand is another big diver. Joe Thornton had a pretty bad dive against the Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    I don't know if he's the biggest diver, but those videos they posted were pretty bad. I'm just glad that they're trying to take diving out of the game. I doubt it will ever be gone completely, but it's nice that they're taking preventative measures against it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    Without a doubt. I'd still like to see teams offset that by putting a big guy to protect their stars.
    And I'm just hoping they call penalties by the SAME STANDARD all year long, including the playoffs. Interference, obstructions, etc should be the same penalty in November AND May. No difference. This is the only league in the world that changes refereeing standards depending on the time of year. That's why you start to see diving.

I seriously think it's a step backwards to have policemen playing on your top lines to take care of what the referees could be taking care of.

I like it. It shows who some of the primary guys doing it are. Thing is, there's a lot more players here that aren't mentioned. They mentioned Malkin but didn't mention Crosby, who dives and does other cheap stuff sometimes. The Sedins as I've already mentioned, although they get the star treatment from other teams (lots of cheap stuff against). Brad Marchand is another big diver. Joe Thornton had a pretty bad dive against the Wings.
    I like it too. Embarrass them into stopping. But at the same time, what about posting photos of the dirtiest players in the league? The ones who cheap shot Toews, Crosby, the Sedins, etc?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Funny that two guys that are in the rat territory like Marchand and Kesler (and Burrows) are also some of the biggest divers. These guys are all skilled enough not to play like that.

Same goes for chirping, and we already know how management feels about them chirping, and the harm it does to the team.

vCash
    It's really been tough in the refs with the new rules as well. Guys are getting good enough where you can only tell on replays leading to personal issues when players make officials look stupid. If I were an official I would feel like guys were trying to embarrass me. It's kind of sad seeing hard nosed talented players like kesler and Marchand do this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast