Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Canucks headed toward goalie duo again - will media allow it?

This says it all for me. I agree with Gillis here. Only the media will screw up a goalie duo between Luu and Schneids.

“They're both highly respected players on our team,” Gillis said of Luongo and Schneider. “I don't anticipate it being unsettling unless you guys make it unsettling. It won't be internally for us.
    Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...#ixzz26NLSPzHR

vCash
    Gillis is definitely right on this one. I hate the media most of the time.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    If it works financially for the team (and I realize it's a lot to spend that much on goalies) I have no problem with seeing Schneider and Luongo as a returning duo. If Luu has this good an attitude it will work. And the Canucks will only benefit in having two of the league's best goalies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Gillis is definitely right on this one. I hate the media most of the time.
    I hate hearing them talk about the "controversy" on radio. They keep justifying themselves and saying that everyone wants to hear from Luongo so we HAVE TO ask him questions.

I don't think people want to hear controversy or hear from Luongo. They just want the issue settled and hear about a decent deal being made. That's the full extent of my interest at least.

I couldn't give a **** about controversy. I want what's best for two great players, both of whom I really respect, and the Canucks talent base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    If it works financially for the team (and I realize it's a lot to spend that much on goalies) I have no problem with seeing Schneider and Luongo as a returning duo. If Luu has this good an attitude it will work. And the Canucks will only benefit in having two of the league's best goalies.
    That's the key quote right there. That says it all. If he can put aside his any ego he has, and we go with this duo again, we could very well have the best goalie duo in the NHL.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    That's the key quote right there. That says it all. If he can put aside his any ego he has, and we go with this duo again, we could very well have the best goalie duo in the NHL.
    I'm fine with that too.

Also, with the lockout, there's just no rush, which is undoubtedly why Gillis hasn't made a panic move.

He knows his budget, he's had meetings with ownership I'm sure. No one else needs to create a goalie controversy because they've decided you can't pay two goalies like that. It's an internal issue and it's obviously been worked through with ownership. That, and the goalies' attitudes, are all that matter.

Not what the media or social media think.

I bet a trade doesn't happen until a couple of months after the end of the lockout. If and when the season starts, enough goalie-poor teams will have their bluffs called about being OK in net, and we'll see some action. Right now we're in the midst of hype season ... "my roster is set and we'll be just fine with Goalie X and Goalie Y. [Add in all kinds of unrealistic praise for inexperienced netminders.]" The W/L record of some of these teams will add pressure to them to improve their offers.
    Last edited by ink; 09-13-2012 at 05:19 PM.