Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick & Tired

vCash

Sick & Tired

Hey guys.

Just as the title suggests, I'm sick & tired of my physique. I was over weight as a kid but lost it when my parents signed me in soccer. After that I was never "ripped" or "cut", but i wasn't fat either. My day job used to keep me pretty active and helped me burn calories.... now I'm self employed and either sit behind a computer screen or sit in the car driving. My wife & I just had our 4th child and these last 7 years were the period where i gained the bulk of the weight (i literally gained 25 lbs with my first son).

I got measured last night for a tuxedo and just hated the way i looked in the mirror. I was disgusted to think that it's okay to look like that. Everyone always told me, your older, your married, you have kids, your supposed to gain a little weight. The "You wear it well" BS. I'd appreciate any weight loss tips. AND I MEAN ANY TIPS.

back when i was training for the police academy i was 185 lbs and felt good. i was doing push ups, chin ups, and running 1-3 miles 3 days a week (rotating schedule) & i played racquet ball at least 2 times a week. I don't own a weight set, i'm not part of a gym. However I am considering purchasing an elliptical to help out. I'm limited on time having to watch my kids & work from home during the day.

I'm 5'11 and about 237 lbs. and eat meat, chicken, fish etc... we try to have 1 vegetarian night a week, and we try to cut out high fructose corn syrup (it's our attempt to be more "whole foods diet".)

Again helpful hints would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 09-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 58 tackles / .5 sacks / 1 safety / 1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    2014 PSD MOD SURVIVAL GAME WINNER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    stam and pedro could probably give more info on not gaining weight after having kids and a career.

but diet is the main thing. i think lifting is the best form of exercise, even for weight loss, but if you don't have access to weights then cardio is also good for weight loss. like anything else, start off light and work your way up.

vCash
    At 5'11 and 237 means you should prolly drop at minimum 50 pounds. The 180-190 mark with muscle mass will look well on you!

With that being said, I don't except the whole "Eh it's ok, you're married and have kids" excuse. I have 2 kids of my own and am married. I am proud to say I am in the BEST shape of my life. It's all about being disciplined and mind of matter. Being that you do have a family, it might be challenging trying to fit in a regular gym schedule into your routine. But if there is a will, there is a way!

First thing is first, access and adjust your diet. The adjustment might be hard at first, but you will get adjusted to it and before you know it, you won't want to look back!

Get more protein in your daily diet. Try and consume at minimum, your body weight worth of protein. So between 200-237 grams of protein spread out over a few meals per day. Pick up a tub of protein to aid with the daily intake.

Limit your complex carb and calorie intake per day. Not saying you can't have McDonald's anymore, just know if you do have McDonalds, you are now limiting how much carbs and calories you can intake for the rest of the day.

Stick to lean meats. Chicken, Steak (trim the fat). Fish/Seafood. try and cut back on the saucing of the meats if they are high in carbs and cals.

Get more greens into your diet. Broccoli & green beans are great! Go to your local supermarket and they should have frozen microwavable options for greens.

If you need to snack, snack on all natural peanut butter or dry roasted almonds.

Hope this helps!

If you want to start getting into a gym routine, we can help with that as well.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    I can help you bro, I was in the same spot and lost a lot of fat in 5 weeks. When I get home or have time ill explain what I did.

Also I gained about 25-30 lbs when we had our first child lol

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    stam and pedro could probably give more info on not gaining weight after having kids and a career.

but diet is the main thing. i think lifting is the best form of exercise, even for weight loss, but if you don't have access to weights then cardio is also good for weight loss. like anything else, start off light and work your way up.
    Thanks, i've started the watch what i eat thing already. and I can run in the morning before everyone wakes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    At 5'11 and 237 means you should prolly drop at minimum 50 pounds. The 180-190 mark with muscle mass will look well on you!

With that being said, I don't except the whole "Eh it's ok, you're married and have kids" excuse. I have 2 kids of my own and am married. I am proud to say I am in the BEST shape of my life. It's all about being disciplined and mind of matter. Being that you do have a family, it might be challenging trying to fit in a regular gym schedule into your routine. But if there is a will, there is a way!

First thing is first, access and adjust your diet. The adjustment might be hard at first, but you will get adjusted to it and before you know it, you won't want to look back!

Get more protein in your daily diet. Try and consume at minimum, your body weight worth of protein. So between 200-237 grams of protein spread out over a few meals per day. Pick up a tub of protein to aid with the daily intake.

Limit your complex carb and calorie intake per day. Not saying you can't have McDonald's anymore, just know if you do have McDonalds, you are now limiting how much carbs and calories you can intake for the rest of the day.

Stick to lean meats. Chicken, Steak (trim the fat). Fish/Seafood. try and cut back on the saucing of the meats if they are high in carbs and cals.

Get more greens into your diet. Broccoli & green beans are great! Go to your local supermarket and they should have frozen microwavable options for greens.

If you need to snack, snack on all natural peanut butter or dry roasted almonds.

Hope this helps!

If you want to start getting into a gym routine, we can help with that as well.
    what do you mean by adjust my diet? please explain , also what name brand of protein tubs do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    I can help you bro, I was in the same spot and lost a lot of fat in 5 weeks. When I get home or have time ill explain what I did.

Also I gained about 25-30 lbs when we had our first child lol

appreciate it man... i have a wedding to officiate in 6 weeks.. it'll feel real good if I can have some of this fat gone.!

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 58 tackles / .5 sacks / 1 safety / 1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    2014 PSD MOD SURVIVAL GAME WINNER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    You were a cop?
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    This is what i did.

I was 5'8" 202 the beginning of January
    I was never fat growing up, I was the opposite very skinny with no muscle. So I naturally have a fast working metabolism even though it did slow down a hair around my 27th birthday so I think having that did help me lose my weight a little faster. I was about 28 1/2 when I started this diet/exercise.

I immediately cut my daily calorie intake down to 1300 or less. This was hard and it took me about a week to do so. I was able to make changes to what I eat for example: instead of whole milk I switched to 0% it still has all the protein just no fat a low calories, fat free cream cheese and others fat free items.

We don't make much money so it was a little tricky for me because health food can get really expensive so if you want to spend extra go for it. It will help you faster.

I get up at 4:30 and eat my bagel with fat free cream cheese at 5:00

Then at 7:30 I would eat my cheerios or multi grain cheerios with fat free milk.

I would eat my lunch at 10:30 so if you get hungry before then eat a banana or roasted almonds is a good one.

For lunch I would either take left overs from dinner or make a sandwich with low fat mayo fat free cheese if you could afford it and chicken/tuna/turkey with whole wheat bread. You can do what ever you want for lunch just as long as you meet your calorie goal. I would also take 3 sticks of celery half a cucumber and you ranch light to dip it in. With the ranch light I would mix it 50-50 with water to lessen the amount of intake. Then take a cup or two of fruit. So after that's all done I would take my lunch and split it in half, eat half at 10:30 and the other half at 1:45 ish.

Then I would go to the gym at 3:30 and do at least 40 minutes of cardio then abs every other day

Eat dinner around 5:30

Chicken/fish with green beans or any kind of dark green veggie

That was my basic diet plan that stayed the same throughout the 5-6 weeks. what I did change was my workout routine.

After two weeks of cardio I did
    15 minutes cardio then I did the weight circuit 1x then back to cardio for another 30 minutes I did that for one week.

The next week was the same only I did the circuit 2x. The reasoning for doing the circuit was because I knew I was going to get back in the weight room so I wanted to slowly train my muscles again.

The following week I did the same only instead of circuit I got into the weight room and went light I did that for about one month. After all that I have been 100% weight room.

I know that routine is probably not the best way or the easiest way but it worked for me.

I was in your position hearing all these crazy things I have to do to lose my weight so what I did was I took a little bit from everyone's ideas threw them together and came out with that plan.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    If you have any other questions about what I did I would be happy to answer for you.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    O yeah and on the plan I lost 30+ lbs in that 5-6 weeks

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    I personally find it hard to get down to 1300 calories but I am a true fat kid at heart and love eating. So I try to up the exorcise while staying around 2,000-2,200 calories.

vCash
    Post padding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    I personally find it hard to get down to 1300 calories but I am a true fat kid at heart and love eating. So I try to up the exorcise while staying around 2,000-2,200 calories.

Got Demons?

vCash
    Lol

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    Got Demons?
    Lmao, I'm covertly posting in class. Spies are allowed to make grammatical/spelling errors.

vCash
    Haha

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.