Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan33 View Post
    Strief is a captain this year, I can't see us benching a captain. Then again, so are Jenkins and Harper so it can't really mean that much.
    Maybe it was a "Ok, you NEED to step up, so..." kind of captain.

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    Yeah, I'll have a much better idea about more of these guys down the line. Haven't done as much homework on 'em yet. Only have gotten to see a few of them for eval purposes. Can't wait for LSU-Texas A&M game coming up.
    I can't wait because I just want to stomp the piss out of the Aggies. I have an Uncle who's an A&M Professor...I'm going to make his children cry.

He looks like he could be a good RT for us. Be nervous about him at LT, though I said the same thing about Bushrod honestly. I think I'd really like to see us get one of the super Left Tackles then move Bushrod to the right side and make Strief that 6th guy again.
    Bushrod should be in the final year of his contract this year....I don't think we should bring him back. I agree with what you said, earlier...take a LT and a RT in this draft. Start over. If Charles Brown can't even ****ing beat out Strief and Bushrod, then it's time to boot him too.

Oh and I bolded Ricky Wagner because, once again, I have a supreme man crush on Wisconsin O-Linemen
    Nothing wrong with that...it does hurt his stock that Wisconsin is playing like complete ****, too.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan33 View Post
    Strief is a captain this year, I can't see us benching a captain. Then again, so are Jenkins and Harper so it can't really mean that much.
    I don't understand how Evans isn't the Captain of that O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdogz∞ View Post
    I'd take Mingo over Jones too guess I'm an idiot too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MT3279 View Post
    I can't wait because I just want to stomp the piss out of the Aggies. I have an Uncle who's an A&M Professor...I'm going to make his children cry.

I think it'll be good to renew the old rivalry. Would love to see LSU v. A&M become the new Thanksgiving game. Don't like playing Arkansas there so much

vCash

I think it'll be good to renew the old rivalry. Would love to see LSU v. A&M become the new Thanksgiving game. Don't like playing Arkansas there so much
    Absolutely, it's always fun posting on their FB walls...since they don't pick up their phones.

vCash
    Bushrod should be in the final year of his contract this year....I don't think we should bring him back. I agree with what you said, earlier...take a LT and a RT in this draft. Start over. If Charles Brown can't even ****ing beat out Strief and Bushrod, then it's time to boot him too.
    I wouldn't mind going with two rookie tackles. We need to get younger on this team in a lot of spots. Putting talent at Tackle would be a good way to keep Drew upright considering the way the guys we have there are performing. You're right about Charles Brown. That was a busted 2nd round pick.

vCash

Nothing wrong with that...it does hurt his stock that Wisconsin is playing like complete ****, too.

I don't understand how Evans isn't the Captain of that O-line.
    Yeah, Bob Bostad is the best Line coach in the country. Him leaving for Pittsburgh was a huge blow. Saints should hire him once Aaron Kromer leaves, lol. They freaking knew how to develop those guys.

I think Evans is sort of a quiet guy, so he probably leads by example more than anything else

vCash
    I wouldn't mind going with two rookie tackles. We need to get younger on this team in a lot of spots. Putting talent at Tackle would be a good way to keep Drew upright considering the way the guys we have there are performing. You're right about Charles Brown. That was a busted 2nd round pick.
    The Jags did it a few years ago with Monroe and Britton...it seemed to work out for them. If the old guys aren't going to do anything with their experience, then we might as well give the experience to the younger guys. And God damn I hate the fact that Brown is a bust, I had such high hopes for that pick. I remember being happy about it. The bastard.

vCash
    Yeah, Bob Bostad is the best Line coach in the country. Him leaving for Pittsburgh was a huge blow. Saints should hire him once Aaron Kromer leaves, lol. They freaking knew how to develop those guys.

I think Evans is sort of a quiet guy, so he probably leads by example more than anything else
    Oh, is that what happened to Bostad? Sweet. I feel bad for Kromer...the guy is just in over his head right now.

That's the kind of guy I think of when I think of a Captain of the Offensive Line. The quiet monster. Not the guy that screams "run" 10 times a game after he blows his assignment.

vCash
    Oh, is that what happened to Bostad? Sweet. I feel bad for Kromer...the guy is just in over his head right now.

That's the kind of guy I think of when I think of a Captain of the Offensive Line. The quiet monster. Not the guy that screams "run" 10 times a game after he blows his assignment.
    Oh, I forgot. He left Pitt before the season because the Bucs hired him. He's the enemy now.

It'd be nice for the young guys to see the Captains performing well, lol

vCash
    Great article here by Jeff Duncan of The Times Picayune. He assesses the Saints defense with some pretty good points and analysis.

New Orleans Saints defense needs playmakers more than time to become dominant

Overreaction Monday turned into Damage Control Monday for the New Orleans Saints and their beleaguered defense.

One bad performance can be chalked up to happenstance.

Two poor efforts signal a trend. And a call to circle the wagons.

That's why Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo moved up his normal press briefing from Friday to Monday in the wake of Carolina's 35-27 strafing of New Orleans. Spags knew the arrows would fly and he bravely elected to take and deflect as many as possible during his 18-minute session with reporters.

Spags was sitting down but it was a stand-up effort. He admirably admitted he could have called a better game to put his players in better position to be successful on certain downs. He admirably refused to point fingers or make excuses.

"I don't think we're that far off," Spagnuolo said. "... If you get stuck on stats, you're going to say I'm full of baloney. But I believe it."

Indeed, the Saints defensive numbers are pretty disturbing.

They've allowed the most yards (922) and the second most points (75) in the NFL. Elias Sports Bureau tells us the 75 points are the most allowed by a team that won a postseason game the previous season since 1994, when the Raiders were drubbed by San Francisco and Seattle 44-14 and 38-9, respectively.

The Saints have allowed seven touchdown drives of 57 yards or more and 12 scoring drives overall. The one turnover to their credit was actually more of an inconsequential giveaway by Panthers quarterback Cam Newton on a desperation pitch on fourth-and-1.

Let's face facts: Right now, the Saints defense isn't very good. Yes, it should improve over the course of the season as the players become more familiar with the scheme and its idiosyncrasies. But to expect this group to transform into the 2007 Giants, a notion many are clinging to because of Spagnuolo's resume, is silly.

Those 2007 Giants featured defensive linemen Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, each a multi-time All-Pro selection. Together they formed one of the most dominant lines in recent NFL history.

Spagnuolo is discovering what Gregg Williams and Gary Gibbs learned before him. The Saints don't have any Strahans walking around. They lack defensive playmakers and have since Darren Sharper retired.

How many third-and-long conversions or dropped interceptions do we need to see before accepting this inconvenient truth?

"There just aren't many difference-makers on New Orleans' defense," former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah wrote in his weekly column on NFL.com Monday. "There are several functional players on the defensive line, but none of them are dynamic. The secondary lacks both speed and ball-hawking skills. In addition to the unit's inability to pick anything off, it has broken up just four of 46 passing attempts. This isn't a new issue for the Saints, who intercepted just nine balls in 2011."

Truth be told, the Saints' 0-2 start isn't really all that shocking.

The Saints defense is adjusting to Spag's new system, which by all accounts is intricately detail-oriented. Quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Cam Newton are dynamic playmakers with rare skills sets. There's a reason they won the past two Heisman Trophies. And so far in their brief NFL careers, both appear to be bona fide.

The Saints have won in recent years largely because they had a decided edge on most opponents at the most important position in the NFL: quarterback. When the Saints beat the Panthers in 2010 the Carolina quarterbacks were Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen. The last time they played the Redskins in 2009 Jason Campbell was under center.

Times have changed. Suddenly the Redskins and Panthers have guys who can match Brees big play for big play. The Saints' main advantage has been marginalized if not neutralized. Consequently, the Redskins and Panthers of the NFL world are no longer easy outs on the schedule. And this is the case at several other spots in the NFL.

In the past, it didn't matter that the Saints defense was only mediocre. They could simply overwhelm opponents with their offensive proficiency. Now it does. And the Saints are losing games because of it.

The Saints are still talented enough to win their share of games. But the days of dominance and record-breaking are over.

"Our defense is going to get good," interim head coach Aaron Kromer said. "They are going to continue to improve. They are going to continue to have more knowledge of what they are doing and play fast and faster and faster. We are in an upwards slope (right now)."

Kromer is right. The defense will improve. The coaching staff is solid and the players continue to believe in the system. But it's foolish to think they're going to transform into a dominant, ball-hawking, quarterback-sacking unit anytime soon.

They might be better. But they won't be Giants
    Last edited by neovenator250; 09-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.

vCash
    Great article here by Jeff Duncan of The Times Picayune. He assesses the Saints defense with some pretty good points and analysis.

New Orleans Saints defense needs playmakers more than time to become dominant

Overreaction Monday turned into Damage Control Monday for the New Orleans Saints and their beleaguered defense.

One bad performance can be chalked up to happenstance.

Two poor efforts signal a trend. And a call to circle the wagons.

That's why Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo moved up his normal press briefing from Friday to Monday in the wake of Carolina's 35-27 strafing of New Orleans. Spags knew the arrows would fly and he bravely elected to take and deflect as many as possible during his 18-minute session with reporters.

Spags was sitting down but it was a stand-up effort. He admirably admitted he could have called a better game to put his players in better position to be successful on certain downs. He admirably refused to point fingers or make excuses.

"I don't think we're that far off," Spagnuolo said. "... If you get stuck on stats, you're going to say I'm full of baloney. But I believe it."

Indeed, the Saints defensive numbers are pretty disturbing.

They've allowed the most yards (922) and the second most points (75) in the NFL. Elias Sports Bureau tells us the 75 points are the most allowed by a team that won a postseason game the previous season since 1994, when the Raiders were drubbed by San Francisco and Seattle 44-14 and 38-9, respectively.

The Saints have allowed seven touchdown drives of 57 yards or more and 12 scoring drives overall. The one turnover to their credit was actually more of an inconsequential giveaway by Panthers quarterback Cam Newton on a desperation pitch on fourth-and-1.

Let's face facts: Right now, the Saints defense isn't very good. Yes, it should improve over the course of the season as the players become more familiar with the scheme and its idiosyncrasies. But to expect this group to transform into the 2007 Giants, a notion many are clinging to because of Spagnuolo's resume, is silly.

Those 2007 Giants featured defensive linemen Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, each a multi-time All-Pro selection. Together they formed one of the most dominant lines in recent NFL history.

Spagnuolo is discovering what Gregg Williams and Gary Gibbs learned before him. The Saints don't have any Strahans walking around. They lack defensive playmakers and have since Darren Sharper retired.

How many third-and-long conversions or dropped interceptions do we need to see before accepting this inconvenient truth?

"There just aren't many difference-makers on New Orleans' defense," former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah wrote in his weekly column on NFL.com Monday. "There are several functional players on the defensive line, but none of them are dynamic. The secondary lacks both speed and ball-hawking skills. In addition to the unit's inability to pick anything off, it has broken up just four of 46 passing attempts. This isn't a new issue for the Saints, who intercepted just nine balls in 2011."

Truth be told, the Saints' 0-2 start isn't really all that shocking.

The Saints defense is adjusting to Spag's new system, which by all accounts is intricately detail-oriented. Quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Cam Newton are dynamic playmakers with rare skills sets. There's a reason they won the past two Heisman Trophies. And so far in their brief NFL careers, both appear to be bona fide.

The Saints have won in recent years largely because they had a decided edge on most opponents at the most important position in the NFL: quarterback. When the Saints beat the Panthers in 2010 the Carolina quarterbacks were Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen. The last time they played the Redskins in 2009 Jason Campbell was under center.

Times have changed. Suddenly the Redskins and Panthers have guys who can match Brees big play for big play. The Saints' main advantage has been marginalized if not neutralized. Consequently, the Redskins and Panthers of the NFL world are no longer easy outs on the schedule. And this is the case at several other spots in the NFL.

In the past, it didn't matter that the Saints defense was only mediocre. They could simply overwhelm opponents with their offensive proficiency. Now it does. And the Saints are losing games because of it.

The Saints are still talented enough to win their share of games. But the days of dominance and record-breaking are over.

"Our defense is going to get good," interim head coach Aaron Kromer said. "They are going to continue to improve. They are going to continue to have more knowledge of what they are doing and play fast and faster and faster. We are in an upwards slope (right now)."

Kromer is right. The defense will improve. The coaching staff is solid and the players continue to believe in the system. But it's foolish to think they're going to transform into a dominant, ball-hawking, quarterback-sacking unit anytime soon.

They might be better. But they won't be Giants
    OUCH! That was painful to read.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    OUCH! That was painful to read.
    Pretty scathing and not entirely inaccurate. There's a lot of good points in there. There is another side, though. I was talking today to 104.5 ESPN Radio's Matt Moscona today after his show today on Coursey Blvd. He made some of these points during his show as well. He looks at the Saints defense as still maturing and getting used to the Spag's system. He looks at a lot of the 1st round talent as playmakers waiting to happen once they get used to doing what they need to do within the scheme. To some it up, its basically the stuff we were all saying before the season and goes to show you that Matt is a lot more patient than we are. He basically said that the KC game was make or break though. And it is.

vCash
    But the point of the article is pretty sound whether you agree or disagree. The Saints really need to start hitting some blue-blooded beasts on the defense with these draft picks. Our D is LITTERED with former first rounders, but none of them has proven to be even close to dominant at their position. Thats definitely a problem. As good as the Saints have been at picking up offensive talent all over the draft, they've been that bad picking up defensive talent.

vCash
    But the point of the article is pretty sound whether you agree or disagree. The Saints really need to start hitting some blue-blooded beasts on the defense with these draft picks. Our D is LITTERED with former first rounders, but none of them has proven to be even close to dominant at their position. Thats definitely a problem. As good as the Saints have been at picking up offensive talent all over the draft, they've been that bad picking up defensive talent.
    And what's worse, is that you can't fault the our staff for trying...we just can't seem to nail a pick for **** (other than Cam, of course).

vCash
    And what's worse, is that you can't fault the our staff for trying...we just can't seem to nail a pick for **** (other than Cam, of course).
    Yeah, we need him to produce. At least he seems to have the work ethic and ability to progress. He's looked great so far at least. Wanna see him get more pressure though.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast