Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

49ers defense best ever?

I hate saying this because people are so quick to forget the past and claim everything present as the best ever.

But for the older guys on here is this the best defense in the history of the NFL?

With rules favoring offense and the passing game at an all time high, IMO the 49ers have the best defense I have ever seen.
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 09-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.

too early to say really....but they are ****ing good obviously.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    too early to say really....but they are ****ing good obviously.
    they already have 1 season under their belt, and this season they are the same so far.

Way too early but it's hard to beat the '85 Bears, along with the Ravens SB winning team and several Niners squads of the 80s.

Boxing > MMA

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Brook/Bradley/Pacquiao

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

No -

1976 Pittsburgh Steelers
    The Steelers defenses of the 1970s are legendary, but the 1976 unit was the best (slightly better than the '75 squad). Here's why: 28. That's how many points the Steel Curtain surrendered in the last nine games of the season. That's a total. As a result, Pittsburgh, which started the season 1-4, made it all the way to the AFC Championship Game, which they lost to the Raiders 24-7. (It's worth noting that Pittsburgh running backs Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were both injured in that contest.)

or

1985 Chicago Bears

Mike Singletary and the Bears' 46 defense overwhelmed opponents.
    The Bears had a very good offense in 1985, but it was Buddy Ryan's blitzing "46" defense that earned this team Page 2's honor of greatest NFL team of all-time. The Bears, with a D anchored by middle linebacker Mike Singletary (with superb assistance from tackles William "Refrigerator" Perry and Dan Hampton, outside linebackers Otis Wilson and Wilbur Marshall, and DE Richard Dent), went 15-1, holding seven opponents to fewer than 10 points.

The Bears showed their ultimate mettle in the playoffs. In the NFC divisional playoff, they shut out the Giants 21-0. The next week, they won the NFC championship by goose-egging the Rams 24-0. Then, in the Super Bowl, they held the Pats to a total of seven (7) yards rushing, helping to seal a 46-10 win.
    ¿uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod noʎ uɐɔ ʇnq 'sǝʎ

I am to young to recall the Bears or the 70's Steelers, and I think its to early to claim the 49'ers defense best ever BUT with how they played last year and so far this year, they might be best defense of recent memory at least
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/image.php?u=197023&type=sigpic&dateline=1335472201

Never saw 70s steelers, or 85 bears, but ravens bucs and steelers had great defenses in recent years and won super bowls. SF just isnt there, years of being consistently great and super bowl(s) and well see

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

They have the potential to be in the Top 5, but I don't think they can really equal the 85' Bears, 00' Ravens, or 79' Steelers. So I guess I should say they have the potential to be 4th or 5th all time.
    As always, flame responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggin View Post
    No -

1976 Pittsburgh Steelers
    The Steelers defenses of the 1970s are legendary, but the 1976 unit was the best (slightly better than the '75 squad). Here's why: 28. That's how many points the Steel Curtain surrendered in the last nine games of the season. That's a total. As a result, Pittsburgh, which started the season 1-4, made it all the way to the AFC Championship Game, which they lost to the Raiders 24-7. (It's worth noting that Pittsburgh running backs Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were both injured in that contest.)

or

1985 Chicago Bears

Mike Singletary and the Bears' 46 defense overwhelmed opponents.
    The Bears had a very good offense in 1985, but it was Buddy Ryan's blitzing "46" defense that earned this team Page 2's honor of greatest NFL team of all-time. The Bears, with a D anchored by middle linebacker Mike Singletary (with superb assistance from tackles William "Refrigerator" Perry and Dan Hampton, outside linebackers Otis Wilson and Wilbur Marshall, and DE Richard Dent), went 15-1, holding seven opponents to fewer than 10 points.

The Bears showed their ultimate mettle in the playoffs. In the NFC divisional playoff, they shut out the Giants 21-0. The next week, they won the NFC championship by goose-egging the Rams 24-0. Then, in the Super Bowl, they held the Pats to a total of seven (7) yards rushing, helping to seal a 46-10 win.
    I would also include at least the 2000 Ravens to this list.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/bestNFLdefense.html Interesting read

EDIT: I just realized you got that from the very link I posted. lol

I've watched the NFL since 1981. In my lifetime the best defenses I've ever seen are 85 Bears, Ravens (Superbowl year - not sure think it was 2001) and this year's 49ers defense.

They are top 3 in the 31 years I've been watching - that's saying quite a bit.

No.

After two weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Costanza View Post
    After two weeks?
    two weeeks, where were you last year?

Maybe, they made light work out of 2 of the best offenses from last year but still a little early, after week 5 that kind of speculation can start happening
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    - Arthur Schopenauer

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast