Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Watching NFL AM this morning and they are showing the Bronco Ravens highlights and I notice how the Bronco's receivers looked like they were getting mugged on some plays. Not super blatant but a little questionable and I though "well it's the playoffs and they let more go"

So, if that is true, investing heavily in our passing game and ignoring our secondary would be counter intuitive.

I love Stafford and Megatron but if the FO does not address the secondary, we will not go very far in the playoffs. The playoffs are like playing the Bears defense every game.

If you can't take small chunks and control the ball on offense while playing hard-nose coverage on D, even blurring the lines of legal coverage, then you are not going to win. Mayhew better address our needs in this draft or I will be pissed. A speed OLB doesn't impress me and even a DE means we are going to go with the same old **** in the back 7.

I want a new secondary with some guys that will pop receivers in the playoffs and give our offense a chance to work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Watching NFL AM this morning and they are showing the Bronco Ravens highlights and I notice how the Bronco's receivers looked like they were getting mugged on some plays. Not super blatant but a little questionable and I though "well it's the playoffs and they let more go"

So, if that is true, investing heavily in our passing game and ignoring our secondary would be counter intuitive.

I love Stafford and Megatron but if the FO does not address the secondary, we will not go very far in the playoffs. The playoffs are like playing the Bears defense every game.

If you can't take small chunks and control the ball on offense while playing hard-nose coverage on D, even blurring the lines of legal coverage, then you are not going to win. Mayhew better address our needs in this draft or I will be pissed. A speed OLB doesn't impress me and even a DE means we are going to go with the same old **** in the back 7.

I want a new secondary with some guys that will pop receivers in the playoffs and give our offense a chance to work.
    i think a big part of the problem is we never play a bump n run with our CB's. we always give this ridiculous cushion to them. i wish our scheme would change on defense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonjw18 View Post
    i think a big part of the problem is we never play a bump n run with our CB's. we always give this ridiculous cushion to them. i wish our scheme would change on defense
    It's because our CBs get flagged for ANY contact, even if it's inside the 5 yard cushion... I think we're honestly one of the only teams where our CBs can't make any contact at all with WRs and we then have to watch them basically mug Calvin on every play and it never gets called.
    dont have a seizure cwick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    It's because our CBs get flagged for ANY contact, even if it's inside the 5 yard cushion... I think we're honestly one of the only teams where our CBs can't make any contact at all with WRs and we then have to watch them basically mug Calvin on every play and it never gets called.
    i agree our CB's normally get the bad end of a call. but i think its more the scheme, i can not think of one time this year our CB's tried to jam the WR at the line of scrimmage. instead its always a 5+ yard cushion. maybe i am wrong, but nothing comes to mind

vCash
    i agree our CB's normally get the bad end of a call. but i think its more the scheme, i can not think of one time this year our CB's tried to jam the WR at the line of scrimmage. instead its always a 5+ yard cushion. maybe i am wrong, but nothing comes to mind
    Ya cant really do bump n run with CBs that dont have the speed/skill to catch back up if they dont get the advantage.. Which we didnt have.. Could you imagine Jonte trying to stuff marhsall at the line and getting thrown around? TD instantly...

vCash
    oops dbl post

Ya cant really do bump n run with CBs that dont have the speed/skill to catch back up if they dont get the advantage.. Which we didnt have.. Could you imagine Jonte trying to stuff marhsall at the line and getting thrown around? TD instantly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cwick925 View Post
    oops dbl post

i can understand not doing against elite WR's such as Marshall. But to never do it against anyone? Jonte Green was a rookie but he is not small for a CB and he is pretty fast. 5-11 190LBS and 4.40 40 yard dash. Chris Houston 5-10 185 LBS and 4.35 40 yard dash. I mean these guys do go against the best WR in league on a daily basis. Does not make any sense to me

vCash
    Like I said, Te'o isn't good. The media only tried to make him look good and people got sucked in.

vCash
    i can understand not doing against elite WR's such as Marshall. But to never do it against anyone? Jonte Green was a rookie but he is not small for a CB and he is pretty fast. 5-11 190LBS and 4.40 40 yard dash. Chris Houston 5-10 185 LBS and 4.35 40 yard dash. I mean these guys do go against the best WR in league on a daily basis. Does not make any sense to me
    But you have to notice that the teams that were mentioned before that are in the playoffs using a lot of bump and run coverage also have LBs and Safeties that are consistently in position to help out and make plays. All season we had backup safeties and special teamers in our secondary, and Durant and Levy were out of place consistently. It was like watching a chinese fire drill whenever we faced a pass heavy offense.

I swear it feels like we have the smallest secondary in the NFL too, I'm just wondering when Mayhew will finally draft a corner or safety with size. We continually bring in 6' or less guys that have no weight and expect to be able to cover the game's most physical receivers. I'm pulling for a Milliner-Reid-Delmas-Houston defensive backfield for next year. I think Reid and Milliner have the size and physical abilities to both be big playmakers.
    Detroit Muscle

vCash

1/17/13 Lions 7 round mock and resulting depth chart

Trades:
    1. Lions trade no. 5 pick to the Jets for the 9th, 39th, 103rd, and a 3rd next year.
    2. Lions trade no. 9 and 39 to the Rams for the 16th, 22nd, and 78th.

1(16): Chance Warmack G Alabama: He is by far the best guard prospect to come out in years. He runs people over in the run game and blocks like a tackle in the pass game. Instant starter on the right side who has the potential to be a pro bowler for years to come.

1(22): Kenny Vaccaro S Texas: The lions need to improve their secondary. Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft. He has everything to be a very good player in the NFL. He plays aggresive in the run game and is a playmaker in the pass game. He also can lineup as a slot corner and go man-to-man allowing more blitz. Him next to Delmas gives us one of the best safety pairs in the NFL.

2(36): Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU: This guy is an athletic freak of nature. He can be a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He has great size to match up with the big RT and the speed to get around the nimble LT. He compares very well to Jason Pierre-Paul. He may be raw but putting him in the aggressive system we have he will be able to contribute right away.

3(65): Arthur Brown LB Kansas State: With Durant and Levy both FA we might need another LB if they are not resigned. Brown has potential to be an early second round pick. Here he falls to the Lions. He has a talent at getting to the football and should be a good player in the NFL.

3(78): Tyrann Mathieu CB/S/KR LSU: We need more than one secondary player in this draft. Mathieu would be a first round pick if not for his off the field issues. He seems to have gotten them under control in his last year and if he has he will be a fantastic addition to our team. He has potential to be the best nickle corner in the league. He does not have outside corner potential because of his size.

4(103): Zac Dysert QB Miami(Ohio): By no means am I thinking this Stafford needs a replacement...but Shaun Hill does. He is owed almost 3 million next year which is too much for a backup. Dysert has been praised as the next great small school QB. He would instantly be a great back up and gives us a potential for an Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn situation. He could develop into a starting calibar QB.

4(comp pick for FA): Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech: Yes the lions still need reciever help. Burleson is coming off an injury and may be cut. Titus Youngs future is shakey at best. Broyles just tore his other ACL so his future is shakey. We are left with a core outside Calvin of Thomas, Durham, and Robiske. I do expect Broyles to be ready eventually and Burleson will be back but even that is not enough. Davis is 6'4 232 pounds and runs a 4.45. He would have had a better season if not for Logan Thomas' poor play. He could immediatly add depth while eventually turning into a real no. 2 option for Stafford.

5. Kejorn Barner RB Oregon: Mayhew says he wants a speed back, well her is one. He has big play ability and is a good change of pace over the power duo of Leshoure and Bell. He can also return kicks for a little while.

6. Brad Wing P LSU: by far the best punter in the draft in years, he could go as early as the late third. However punters are not a hot commodity in the draft. Nick Harris is the worst punter in the league by far. Wing makes this team better simply by his ability to be a pro bowl option every year if he stays healthy.

7. A.J Francis DT Maryland: Lions are losing Fluellen and Williams to FA. Depth is needed behind Suh and Fairley. Francis was a good player on a bad defense but has potential to be a solid rotational player.

Depth Chart:
    QB: Stafford, Dysert, Moore
    RB: Leshoure, Bell, Barner
    WR: Johnson, Burleson, Broyles, Davis, Thomas
    TE: Pettigrew, Schefler, (FA)
    LT: Backus, Fox
    LG: Sims, Nagy
    C: Rioala, Nagy
    RG: Warmack, (FA)
    RT: Rieff, Hillard

LDE: Young, Ansah
    LDT: Suh, Francis
    RDT: Fairley, (FA)
    RDE: Micheal Johnson(FA), Jackson, R. Lewis
    LOLB: Durant, Whitehead
    MLB: Tulloch, Palmer
    ROLB: T. Lewis, Brown
    LCB: Houston, Green, Greenwood
    FS: Delmas, Wendling
    SS: Vaccaro, Silva
    RCB: Bentley, Mathieu, (FA)
    NB: Mathieu, Green
    DB: Green, Greenwood

K: Hanson
    P: Wing
    LS: Mulbatch
    KR: Barner, Mathieu, Thomas
    PR: Mathieu, Barner, Thomas

vCash
    We DO not need to waste a 4th round pick for a back up QB.

vCash
    I say we trade back twice and try to get the rams 2 1st rounders

Then draft Warmack and Elam

or

something a litte out of the box Banks, Vaccaro would be nasty
    Last edited by joseph aka Jman; 01-17-2013 at 09:20 PM.

New York Yankees
    Los Angeles Lakers (Jimbaco)
    Detroit Lions Draft this man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha77 View Post
    Trades:
    1. Lions trade no. 5 pick to the Jets for the 9th, 39th, 103rd, and a 3rd next year.
    2. Lions trade no. 9 and 39 to the Rams for the 16th, 22nd, and 78th.

1(16): Chance Warmack G Alabama: He is by far the best guard prospect to come out in years. He runs people over in the run game and blocks like a tackle in the pass game. Instant starter on the right side who has the potential to be a pro bowler for years to come.

1(22): Kenny Vaccaro S Texas: The lions need to improve their secondary. Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft. He has everything to be a very good player in the NFL. He plays aggresive in the run game and is a playmaker in the pass game. He also can lineup as a slot corner and go man-to-man allowing more blitz. Him next to Delmas gives us one of the best safety pairs in the NFL.

2(36): Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU: This guy is an athletic freak of nature. He can be a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. He has great size to match up with the big RT and the speed to get around the nimble LT. He compares very well to Jason Pierre-Paul. He may be raw but putting him in the aggressive system we have he will be able to contribute right away.

3(65): Arthur Brown LB Kansas State: With Durant and Levy both FA we might need another LB if they are not resigned. Brown has potential to be an early second round pick. Here he falls to the Lions. He has a talent at getting to the football and should be a good player in the NFL.

3(78): Tyrann Mathieu CB/S/KR LSU: We need more than one secondary player in this draft. Mathieu would be a first round pick if not for his off the field issues. He seems to have gotten them under control in his last year and if he has he will be a fantastic addition to our team. He has potential to be the best nickle corner in the league. He does not have outside corner potential because of his size.

4(103): Zac Dysert QB Miami(Ohio): By no means am I thinking this Stafford needs a replacement...but Shaun Hill does. He is owed almost 3 million next year which is too much for a backup. Dysert has been praised as the next great small school QB. He would instantly be a great back up and gives us a potential for an Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn situation. He could develop into a starting calibar QB.

4(comp pick for FA): Marcus Davis WR Virginia Tech: Yes the lions still need reciever help. Burleson is coming off an injury and may be cut. Titus Youngs future is shakey at best. Broyles just tore his other ACL so his future is shakey. We are left with a core outside Calvin of Thomas, Durham, and Robiske. I do expect Broyles to be ready eventually and Burleson will be back but even that is not enough. Davis is 6'4 232 pounds and runs a 4.45. He would have had a better season if not for Logan Thomas' poor play. He could immediatly add depth while eventually turning into a real no. 2 option for Stafford.

5. Kejorn Barner RB Oregon: Mayhew says he wants a speed back, well her is one. He has big play ability and is a good change of pace over the power duo of Leshoure and Bell. He can also return kicks for a little while.

6. Brad Wing P LSU: by far the best punter in the draft in years, he could go as early as the late third. However punters are not a hot commodity in the draft. Nick Harris is the worst punter in the league by far. Wing makes this team better simply by his ability to be a pro bowl option every year if he stays healthy.

7. A.J Francis DT Maryland: Lions are losing Fluellen and Williams to FA. Depth is needed behind Suh and Fairley. Francis was a good player on a bad defense but has potential to be a solid rotational player.

Depth Chart:
    QB: Stafford, Dysert, Moore
    RB: Leshoure, Bell, Barner
    WR: Johnson, Burleson, Broyles, Davis, Thomas
    TE: Pettigrew, Schefler, (FA)
    LT: Backus, Fox
    LG: Sims, Nagy
    C: Rioala, Nagy
    RG: Warmack, (FA)
    RT: Rieff, Hillard

LDE: Young, Ansah
    LDT: Suh, Francis
    RDT: Fairley, (FA)
    RDE: Micheal Johnson(FA), Jackson, R. Lewis
    LOLB: Durant, Whitehead
    MLB: Tulloch, Palmer
    ROLB: T. Lewis, Brown
    LCB: Houston, Green, Greenwood
    FS: Delmas, Wendling
    SS: Vaccaro, Silva
    RCB: Bentley, Mathieu, (FA)
    NB: Mathieu, Green
    DB: Green, Greenwood

K: Hanson
    P: Wing
    LS: Mulbatch
    KR: Barner, Mathieu, Thomas
    PR: Mathieu, Barner, Thomas
    Only problems I see is 1. Matheiu, and 2. It's gonna be hard enough to trade down once, yet alone twice. I can only see NYJ trading to 5 if Geno Smith gets passed on #1-4, and the new Jets' GM decides that getting a QB takes precedent over everything else. He might then get scared that any of the 6-8 (CLE, ARZ, and BUF) would take Smith and trade up. I can't see the Rams trading up because there's no "wow-worthy" prospect for them to trade up and get. Their needs lie mainly at OG, WR, TE, and S, and all will be more justifiable picks where they are sitting right now.
    Assuming no trade downs (I want to prepare for worst case scenario and hope for the best), I'd do it this way:
    1. Dee Milliner CB Alabama
    2. Barrett Jones C Alabama
    3. Bacarri Rambo SS Georgia
    3. Arthur Brown OLB KSU (Projected Compensatory For Avril Signing Elsewhere)
    4. Johnathan Brown OLB Illinois (Compensatory Pick)
    5. Tank Carradine DE FSU
    6. Brad Wing P LSU
    7. Mike Gillislee RB FLA (Similar size to Barner, runs a 4.3-4.35 40, probably the 2nd best NCAA return man to Barner)
    7. Caleb Sturgis K FLA (Compensatory Pick)

We can release Raiola's $5 mil salary, cut KVB and let Avril walk. Let Cherilus go. Let Levy and Durant go. Let Delmas go. Re-structure Stafford and Suh's contracts. Sign Michael Johnson and Jairus Byrd

QB - Stafford, Hill
    RB - LeShoure, Bell, Gillislee
    WR - CJ, Burleson, Broyles, Thomas, Young?
    TE - Pettigrew, Scheffler
    RT - Reiff
    RG - Peterman
    C - Jones
    LG - Sims
    LT - Backus
    RE - Young, Carradine
    DT - Suh, SLH
    DT - Fairley, SLH
    LE - Johnson, Jackson
    SLB - A. Brown, Whitehead
    MLB - Tulloch, Palmer
    WLB - J. Brown, Lewis
    CB - Milliner, Green
    FS - Byrd, Silva
    SS - Rambo, Coleman
    CB - Houston, Bentley
    P - Wing
    K - Sturgis
    PR - Gillislee, Thomas
    KR - Gillislee, Thomas
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sportzfreak9303 View Post
    But you have to notice that the teams that were mentioned before that are in the playoffs using a lot of bump and run coverage also have LBs and Safeties that are consistently in position to help out and make plays. All season we had backup safeties and special teamers in our secondary, and Durant and Levy were out of place consistently. It was like watching a chinese fire drill whenever we faced a pass heavy offense.

I swear it feels like we have the smallest secondary in the NFL too, I'm just wondering when Mayhew will finally draft a corner or safety with size. We continually bring in 6' or less guys that have no weight and expect to be able to cover the game's most physical receivers. I'm pulling for a Milliner-Reid-Delmas-Houston defensive backfield for next year. I think Reid and Milliner have the size and physical abilities to both be big playmakers.
    i hear that, but i think we could have used it seldomly. for instance, when it is 3rd and short and we are giving the WR an 8 yard cushion....

vCash
    Ive seen Ansah mocked as high as us at #5 at you have him going to us at 36? IDK about that.. Seems like most have him going in the 15-20 range

Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast