Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Mets do with Travis d'Arnaud?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep him, he's our future at catcher

29 87.88%
  • Dump him, he did not hit well when he came up

1 3.03%
  • Trade him, he still has a lot of value and he's injury prone

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travis d'Arnaud

vCash

Travis d'Arnaud

Vote for what you think the Mets should do with Travis d'Arnaud.

vCash
    There is no poll.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Dar-No is going to be part of the core.
    Plawecki will be traded either this off season or the next.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    There is no poll.
    I was making it. It's there now.

vCash
    have him play 1B/C. Even if the broken leg/foot was a complete accident this is still a 25 y.o catcher with significant knee & back injuries.

He's right handed, wouldn't be a bad thing to have him play 1B vs LHP some days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    have him play 1B/C. Even if the broken leg/foot was a complete accident this is still a 25 y.o catcher with significant knee & back injuries.

He's right handed, wouldn't be a bad thing to have him play 1B vs LHP some days.
    I vote for this, it won't happen though.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

He should not play 1B. D'Arnaud's value is as a catcher who frames pitches incredibly well and hits above average. He loses a ton of value playing 1B. This is something he can do later in his career.

He was 24 last season, and his injuries haven't been of the chronic-type. Traumatic injuries heal with time. Would you say Murphy has had significant knee injuries when he just stole the most bases of his professional career in 2013? He's 100% healthy now, as is d'Arnaud.

I'm OK with him playing 130 games or so as a catcher, and getting a rest.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 11-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    He was 24 last season, and his injuries haven't been of the chronic-type. Traumatic injuries heal with time. Would you say Murphy has had significant knee injuries when he just stole the most bases of his professional career in 2013? He's 100% healthy now, as is d'Arnaud.
    I would definitely say that about Murphy if he was a catcher. There's also the back injury. Those are definitely chronic type injuries that could resurface especially for a catcher. The broken foot is another story.
    D'Arnaud's value is as a catcher who frames pitches incredibly well and hits above average. He loses a ton of value playing 1B. This is something he can do later in his career.
    I understand what WAR is intended to measure over the long haul, but you can't tell me that the ability to play more than one position hurts his value to the ball club. Same with platoon numbers -- even if the overall results are OK that doesn't mean you can't manage the L/R splits and kick some of the negative. So here even if TDA loses an edge playing a game at 1B you're still getting a net benefit from booting Ike or whoever vs LHP.

vCash
    D'Arnaud uses knee savers, and like I said, it's not a chronic injury. It wasn't surgically repaired either. He hasn't had any back or knee issues since, and anyone can break their foot on a foul ball.

D'Arnaud has shown to be a better hitter vs. RHP in his minor league career, and is he better than someone like Josh Satin vs. LHP?

vCash
    What the heck is there to do with Travis d'Arnaud?

There is only one thing to do with Travis d'Arnaud: Making him the starting catcher until he loses the gig.

I don't think he will lose it though. I think you saw signs toward the end of last season about the type of hitter he can be: A line drive type guy who can hit hard to right center and even the occasional homer. I liken him to a Paul LoDuca type, when LoDuca was productive for us in 2006.

John Stearns also comes to mind for some of us older folk. But here's the thing with d'Arnaud. Let's see what he can do healthy and with a full Spring Training behind him. Like the guy says on the Mens Warhouse commercials, You're gonna like the way he looks, er, hits.

You know what I mean.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Keep him.

vCash
    Keep him and hope he is the guy we thought we acquired. Based on last year's performance however there are still legitimate questions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

There is only one thing to do with Travis d'Arnaud: Making him the starting catcher until he loses the gig.

I don't think he will lose it though. I think you saw signs toward the end of last season about the type of hitter he can be: A line drive type guy who can hit hard to right center and even the occasional homer. I liken him to a Paul LoDuca type, when LoDuca was productive for us in 2006.

John Stearns also comes to mind for some of us older folk. But here's the thing with d'Arnaud. Let's see what he can do healthy and with a full Spring Training behind him. Like the guy says on the Mens Warhouse commercials, You're gonna like the way he looks, er, hits.

You know what I mean.
    Does the guy on that men's warehouse commercial own a mirror. Why would he like the way he looks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    D'Arnaud uses knee savers, and like I said, it's not a chronic injury. It wasn't surgically repaired either. He hasn't had any back or knee issues since, and anyone can break their foot on a foul ball.
    He wears knee savers great, he's still a catcher a lot of them do. In the same way that anyone can break their foot and come back and be 100%, anybody that has had a knee tear is always going to have an asterisk.

He also DID have surgery on the herniated discs in his back.

Any way you slice it this is a catcher who has had a major knee injury & a major back injury before 25. Knees and backs aren't freak injuries like a broken foot or a sprained thumb.
    D'Arnaud has shown to be a better hitter vs. RHP in his minor league career, and is he better than someone like Josh Satin vs. LHP?
    If TDA won't be any better than Josh Satin then this is a pointless conversation anyway. Bail now and go get Brian McCann

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

You know what I mean.
    Please don't ever do that again.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast