Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I dunno looked like a Coors Light to me.

vCash
    Will Uverse carry???

vCash
    WTF is Uverse? That sounds like the name of channel 13.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongLaker View Post
    ALL:

If this is old news, you can close the thread quickly, but I want to make sure that everyone on the Board is aware that the news is out that if you are not a subscriber to Time Warner Cable, you may not get to see ANY Lakers games but those broadcast on national TV.

Yes, that's right. No misprint.

The fine print in the Time Warner deal is that they control the broadcast rights; including League Pass blackouts. The only news so far is about Time Warner 'negotiating with' other cable providers in the greater LA area, including Cox, Direct TV, Verizon Fios and others. But as of yet -- less than 3 weeks away from October 1 launch, no deals announced! You need a couple weeks to schedule installs with TWC....

Something is going on behind sceens, but TWC is reportedly asking a high price per subcriber (reputed to be in the $4 range) to share the new Lakers channel with other networks. After all, its a $4 BILLION dollar, 20 year deal.

Here's a good link to get you started on this important topic. I can't imagine not watching this new Lakers lineup, so I am preparing to switch networks to TWC if all else fails. Sad, because I am a current FIOS subscriber and the fiber optic system adds great clarity to the HD picture.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...ble-games.html

LLL

Update:

No one in the TWC or FIOS phone universe knows what they are talking about. I waited 40 minutes by phone and still could not link up with FIOS reps and they have no physical stores. SO... I went down yesterday to the TWC LOCAL physical office and it still took an HOUR, but at the end of that time I had established a couple things....

FIOS may not be ready to pick up the Lakers until December. I have no clue why. It is supposed to be technically possible to retain FIOS and add TWC. I complained if I was signing up, I didn't want to miss a game (their ad) and I got a technician scheduled to come out today (next day). So I'll let you know if I get two boxes hooked up into the same TV.

It's costing $50 a month for the TV package and HD box ($39.99 +$10). A DVR box is $11 more monthly. So I am investing $50 a month until and I hope a deal is reached.

After everyone told me "NO" via phone, once I signed up in the office, I came home and was able to STREAM TWC Sportsnet IMMEDIATELY through the internet (and I have a FIOS router folks). They just have to flick the dam switch in the office.

So even if the box install fails because I am keeping FIOS, I can get the programming over the internet. HD monitor big plus.

Now here is the nice part. If you sign up for TWC, they currently have a promo going and are giving you a $200 prepaid visa card. SO that offsets the first couple months and install charge. There is install charge unless you are techy enough to set up the box yourself -- I opted out of that because I was keeping two services.

There is light, but it still sucks we have to do this dance as consumers.

LLL
    Last edited by LifeLongLaker; 10-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimos21 View Post
    Although I have TWC, I have still been following this situation closely because several of my friends have DTV. It seems like many of you are not entirely up to date on the basics so I'll lay it out here. Some are facts, and some are my opinions based on my knowledge of the situation.

1. TWC SportsNet is the name of the new Lakers Network, which will not only provide around the clock Lakers access and all Lakers games, but also LA Galaxy and Sparks games. Although programming is not detailed, it appears they will also show college FB and BB games from the Mountain West Conference. Being an SDSU alumni (and not getting the MTN Network) I was very happy about this.

2. TWC Currently has no agreements to offer the network on any other TV providers.

3. DirecTV: Sources say TWC asked for an astronomical amount of $$ from DTV to carry TWCSportsNet. DTV said no way Jose. No more negotiations have taken place.

4. Other Cable Companies (Comcast, Cox, Cablevision, Charter): Sources say that TWC is currently in negotiations with cable companies and will likely have a deal before the start of the season with most of if not all of these companies.

5. Verizon Fios / DISH: I have not heard anything about these providers, but it is likely they will get a deal done before DirecTV does.

6. NBA League Pass Route: If you live in the LA Market (South of Fresno, west of Vegas), then Lakers games will be blacked out on League Pass (except for the ESPN / TNT games).

7. No matter what deals get done and what provider you have, there will be no option for, "I'll pay $4 per month for the channel". No TV providers do this anymore. They just put the channel on a tier of programming and charge everyone who has that tier of programming. So if Cox Cable inks a deal for TWC SportsNet and decides to put it on their basic cable package...then every customer's bill just went up $X. Likely what would happen is that it would be put on a Sports Package, and everyone who has that sports package would pay an extra $X.

Here is the reasoning behind why this is all jacked up:

Usually with Sports on TV, the team will sell it's TV rights to a major network (Fox for example) who then does all the coverage and then Fox sells the programming to ALL providers (DTV, TWC, Cox, etc.) It is in Fox's best interest to get a deal done with all the providers, and in most cases all the providers already carry the network (Fox Sports West for example).

In some cases the TV rights are sold directly to a TV provider rather than a Network. This is what happened with out of market NFL games years ago, and is what just happened with the Lakers TV rights. They were sold to TV providers, not TV Networks. This is the root of the problem.

For years, DirecTV has been stealing subscribers from Cable companies (and DiSH) because they were the only provider to offer the NFL Sunday Ticket Package. DirecTV remains the only provider to offer NFL Sunday Ticket, meaning if you want to watch out of market games, you HAVE to get DTV. DTV would not sell any of these programming rights to any other cable companies, electing for the "steal subscribers" gameplan instead of the "sell to other networks for lots of $$$" game plan.

TWC has lost a significant number of subscribers to DTV simply because of the NFL Sunday Ticket package. In a market (LA) with no home team, everyone wants to watch a different out-of-market NFL team, so everyone had to get DTV. Even all the bars had to get DTV.

Sources say that TWC has elected to turn the cards on DTV. TWC would like to regain many of the subscribers they lost to DTV. In order to do that TWC would have to offer exclusive content not available on DTV (TWC SportsNet). Sources say that if TWC does come to a deal with DTV, they will be "leaving with an arm and a leg."

My opinion: TWC's biggest competitor is DTV. TWC wants to regain market share by getting more subscribers....much more than they want to make a few extra dollars by selling programming to DTV customers. My guess is that TWC and DTV do not come to a deal until after the season has started, and even then I would not be surprised if no deal was ever made. Even if TWC was willing to deal with DTV, they wouldn't want to ink it until as late as possible (allowing for more speculation and thus more people to switch to TWC). If a deal was done today, all the DTV customers that were planning to switch to TWC Oct 1 would just stay with DTV, defeating the purpose of TWC's plan.

Cable companies are not in direct competition with other cable companies. They are like utility companies, there is only 1 cable company designated for where you live. If you live in a Comcast area, you cannot get TWC, and vise versa. Therefore, it makes sense for TWC to sell the programming to other cable companies...because their customers couldn't switch to TWC even if they wanted to. I think all the major cable companies will have a deal in place within the next few weeks, and I think you may even see the first few deals surface this week.

As for FioS and DiSH customers, I have no idea. Technically, FioS and DiSH are direct competitors of TWC, but given that they have such a small share, I don't think TWC is trying to steal subscribers from them. It would be such a small number, it wouldnt be worth not selling the programming to them. So I think FioS and DiSH get a deal done, but probably later than the cable companies.

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer them as best as I can. Please note that I am not in any way affiliated with either company, I am just a consumer who is very interested by this story.

So if you live in Texas and have NBA league pass on direct tv, are you good to see all the laker games?

vCash
    Any updates with DishNetwork?

vCash
    So Charter may get a deal done in the next couple of weeks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay33 View Post
    So if you live in Texas and have NBA league pass on direct tv, are you good to see all the laker games?
    You'll be good. Unless their playing one of the local teams in your area then it will probably be blacked out.

vCash
    Cool, thanks!

vCash
    Is AT&T Uverse in the conversation? I have watched almost every game or some part of every game since 8th grade ...I'm steamin' over here I have no idea what's goin on except that the salesman who came n hooked up Uverse said it was a definite ...

vCash
    Charter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongLaker View Post
    Update:

No one in the TWC or FIOS phone universe knows what they are talking about. I waited 40 minutes by phone and still could not link up with FIOS reps and they have no physical stores. SO... I went down yesterday to the TWC LOCAL physical office and it still took an HOUR, but at the end of that time I had established a couple things....

FIOS may not be ready to pick up the Lakers until December. I have no clue why. It is supposed to be technically possible to retain FIOS and add TWC. I complained if I was signing up, I didn't want to miss a game (their ad) and I got a technician scheduled to come out today (next day). So I'll let you know if I get two boxes hooked up into the same TV.

It's costing $50 a month for the TV package and HD box ($39.99 +$10). A DVR box is $11 more monthly. So I am investing $50 a month until and I hope a deal is reached.

After everyone told me "NO" via phone, once I signed up in the office, I came home and was able to STREAM TWC Sportsnet IMMEDIATELY through the internet (and I have a FIOS router folks). They just have to flick the dam switch in the office.

So even if the box install fails because I am keeping FIOS, I can get the programming over the internet. HD monitor big plus.

Now here is the nice part. If you sign up for TWC, they currently have a promo going and are giving you a $200 prepaid visa card. SO that offsets the first couple months and install charge. There is install charge unless you are techy enough to set up the box yourself -- I opted out of that because I was keeping two services.

There is light, but it still sucks we have to do this dance as consumers.

LLL
    FiOS not getting TWC channel till december?! You cant be serious!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB-Pau-DH2012 View Post
    Any updates with DishNetwork?
    called them they are working on it probably should be done within 2 weeks

vCash
    what's ****ing awesome is that I'm a Lakers fan who live in Western NY so I shouldn't get any games besides National telecasts. yet since I'm a time warner customer I'll be able to watch every Lakers game this season for a whopping 4.99 a month.

The only way this could get better is if Time Warner is able to secure the Dodgers contract and I get to watch both the Lakers and Dodgers for 1/50th the price I would of paid for the NBA/MLB packages.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast