Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post
    Can you realistically see "very good pitcher's" wanting to sign with Kansas City? While the Jay's haven't seen the playoffs for the last 2 decades they have put up fairly respectable teams. Kansas City has been the doormat of the American League for quite a stretch.

There's a reason they had to pay Jeremy Guthrie over 8 million a year on a multi year deal - the same Jeremy Guthrie who put up a 1.5whip the last 2 years - Jeremy Guthrie who wouldn't even be our 5th starter and probably not 6th (I'd really rather pitch Jenkins). Can you see Sanchez, McCarthy or Jackson signing with Kansas City for anything other then a ridiculous overpay? I certainly can't.
    yeah i dont see many pitchers lining up to play in KC

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    You have a point. The thing is when injuries hit, and they always do - every team needs someone to step up. Outside of the Dodgers and Yankees no team can spend multi-million multi-year deals based on 5th,6th,7th starters;. I'd absolutely love to get EJax for 3-30 mill (for the record I think he's gonna get more, probably alot more) to be our 5th starter. Problem is that kills Happ's value for what I think would be similar production as EJAX as he would be pushed to the pen.

I'd even argue EJAX is as good as Romero over the last handful of years including last year's trainwreck from Romero. We needed to get Jackson last year, not this year when we have an already deep rotation 1-5. If injuries do happen yes someone like Mguire, Cecil, Rogers, Jenkins will have to step up. That list doesn't inspire alot of confidence but this is a situation that every team in baseball has to face. Most team's are lucky to even have a strong of a 5 man rotation as we do.
    I don't think that's too far off. 3/39 or so sounds reasonable to me. Upgrading at 1B/DH would be my first priority right now, but EJax on that kind of deal would be pretty terrific as well (assuming there is still some payroll flexibility).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    I don't think that's too far off. 3/39 or so sounds reasonable to me. Upgrading at 1B/DH would be my first priority right now, but EJax on that kind of deal would be pretty terrific as well (assuming there is still some payroll flexibility).
    I'd take Ejax at 3/39 all day if our 5th starter was Jo Jo Reyes, Brett Cecil or the list of scrubs we've been running out there every 5th start for the past decade, but it's not. It's J.A. Happ who will make pennies on the dollar compared to paying Jackson that salary and has shown (albeit in a smaller sample size) that he can pitch in the range of the same effectiveness.

vCash
    basically I think with whatever payroll we have left to use (if we have any) we need to get definite difference makers. I don't think spending 13+ mill per year going from Happ to Ejax is big enough of a difference to warrant spending. Reyes/Cecil to Ejax yes, Happ to Ejax, no.

vCash
    I dont disagree with you, but we still need a long man who can start if an injury pops up. Villanueva has been important for us the past couple of seasons and while I understand that he wants to start now, we need to fill that roll. I don't know if a guy like Brett Myers would sign here as a long man or not as I have heard he wants to be a starter again as well.

vCash
    What about Dustin McGowan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    How is his health? I'd love to see him play a significant roll if healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Even if he is healthy, the big problem with McGowan is that, with his troubles, he needs to be on a strict and consistent schedule. As a 6th starter/swingman he wouldn't get that. It would be very limiting to have a long man who had to pitch every 4 days and that's it.

It's too bad Deck McGuire sucks. He would have been perfect for the role. Hutch would also be nice if he were healthy.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    So... you think after the Jays just bumped payroll 50% and are now a top 5 payroll team in the league, they should "only" spend another 40 million and grab Cliff Lee? The same guy most people here (possibly you too) didn't want anything to do with 6 months ago?

Right...

Why stop there? Why not trade for King Felix too? Then the rotation of
    Felix
    Morrow
    Lee
    Romero
    JJ

I mean, that has to get it done right? Let's not stop there - let's trade the farm for Joey Votto and plug him in at first base. Only another 250 million added to payroll, no biggie... then the team will actually compete because I'm really not pleased with the moves we've made so far. We still have a ton of holes to fill and aren't close - so yeah - how about TDA, syndergaard, Gose and DJ Davis for Votto. Yeah.... call up AA, get it done.
    You mad dude?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    I'd take Ejax at 3/39 all day if our 5th starter was Jo Jo Reyes, Brett Cecil or the list of scrubs we've been running out there every 5th start for the past decade, but it's not. It's J.A. Happ who will make pennies on the dollar compared to paying Jackson that salary and has shown (albeit in a smaller sample size) that he can pitch in the range of the same effectiveness.
    That's an awesome picture of the wolf, did you Draw it?

vCash
    This one is done...

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667