Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    AA prefers the pitchers and outfielders, guys with athleticism in the draft. Its a good strategy as often these are the type of players teams pay a premium for.

Most power 1st basemen flame out when they hit the Majors -- cant make the adjustments and strike out a billion times. The odd ones can make it through. The best power 1st basemen are guys like Todd Helton, Pujols, Konerko, etc cause those guys are very disciplined at the plate and play exceptional well at 1st base. Any beefhead can swat 30 home runs in the minors where 80% of pitchers cant even throw an average fastball -- once they hit the majors most of them flame out.
    Sanyo...Saaaannyoooooooooo. Your right that many beefheads flame out. However what you look for are very high walk numbers. That shows a good eye and plate discipline. That's what you want. Again we live in Lind land so I'm happy for any improvement even if it was Mark Reynoldsish. However, a lot of these big power guys will succeed in the majors.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I posted my little trade idea in the Philes forum...It was like I was insulting their mothers. I was offering garbage. They say the Phils wanted Profar/Olt + for Lee. *** me!

So there you go...I BIT of grey area there in the middle...Always interesting how fans view their own players/specs.
    You act like Cliff Lee is trash. He'd be the ace on 3/4 of the teams in the league. Of course they should be asking for something steep. Remember how many Jays fans were complaining how they should have gotten more for Halladay?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    You act like Cliff Lee is trash. He'd be the ace on 3/4 of the teams in the league. Of course they should be asking for something steep. Remember how many Jays fans were complaining how they should have gotten more for Halladay?
    You act like Cliff Lee is worth 25-30 mil for 4 years as a 34 year old, we can easily get 2 pretty good starters like Peavy and Sanchez with that type of money.

Unless the Phillies are eating a decent amount of his contract... NO thanks imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    You act like Cliff Lee is worth 25-30 mil for 4 years as a 34 year old, we can easily get 2 pretty good starters like Peavy and Sanchez with that type of money.

Unless the Phillies are eating a decent amount of his contract... NO thanks imo.
    You can't compare two players to one player though.... I mean, by the same logic Adam Lind and Colby Rasmus can be as good as X player if you combine them.

Doesn't really work that way.

And yes, Cliff Lee is one of a handful of Aces in the league, he would be an amazing addiction. Why are we all worried about his salary all of a sudden? Everyone wants top players but dont' want to spend the cash. I think it was pretty much proven last offseason that if you want top guys at their peak, you have to spend the money to get them. Even if the Phillies only take on 25% of his salary (at the expensive of prospects) I don't see the problem. We desperately need pitching, does anyone here really think Cliff Lee wouldn't be an upgrade to every single person in our rotation? Having Lee, Morrow and Romero (who hopefully doesn't suck) at the top of our rotation actually gives this team hope. We'd still need another starter on top of that -but I'd rather have Lee than guys like Marcum that people keep throwing around.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    You can't compare two players to one player though.... I mean, by the same logic Adam Lind and Colby Rasmus can be as good as X player if you combine them.

Doesn't really work that way.

And yes, Cliff Lee is one of a handful of Aces in the league, he would be an amazing addiction. Why are we all worried about his salary all of a sudden? Everyone wants top players but dont' want to spend the cash. I think it was pretty much proven last offseason that if you want top guys at their peak, you have to spend the money to get them. Even if the Phillies only take on 25% of his salary (at the expensive of prospects) I don't see the problem. We desperately need pitching, does anyone here really think Cliff Lee wouldn't be an upgrade to every single person in our rotation? Having Lee, Morrow and Romero (who hopefully doesn't suck) at the top of our rotation actually gives this team hope. We'd still need another starter on top of that -but I'd rather have Lee than guys like Marcum that people keep throwing around.
    AA still has payroll perimeters (we can probably expect a 25-35M in payroll max), I just don't see him using it all on 1 pitcher. AA has LF, DH, 2B, and 2 pitchers to upgrade...

I would much rather like to see him sign 2 of Peavy, Ortiz, Lohse, Marcum, Swisher. Then trade for Justin Upton.

Also, Lee may be a legit ace but he will continue to regress and he always has the chance to land on the DL like pretty much everyone else on our team this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
    Anthony Gose for Nick Franklin makes some sense for both parties (based on the parameters that SEA is sold on Ackley being there 2B going forward).

Both around the #30-#40 range in MLB top prospects.

We need a young 2B going forward and the Mariners could use a young CF'er going forward and Gose's strengths fit well in that huge park.
    Interesting thought. I wonder if they would take Rasmus instead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
    Anthony Gose for Nick Franklin makes some sense for both parties (based on the parameters that SEA is sold on Ackley being there 2B going forward).

Both around the #30-#40 range in MLB top prospects.

We need a young 2B going forward and the Mariners could use a young CF'er going forward and Gose's strengths fit well in that huge park.
    The huge park is getting smaller as they move the fences in. Those long flyballs will now be hrs. Bad news for the pitchers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Just read article, link below, where it says Rangers want Profar at 2nd base next year so either Kinsler gets moved to the outfield or is trade bait. Rangers need a catcher as well and don't seem interested in signing Napoli for the 10 mil he's gonna want. If they do re-sign Hamilton they'll look to save elsewhere I'd imagine. Letting Kinsler and Napoli go would free up the cash to sign Hamilton.

Profar would replace Kinsler at second and how about we send JPA and one of the big 3 pitching prospects along with another lower 10-15 propect for Kinsler? Thoughts?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/10...ers-might.html
    Possibly...he's coming off a bit of a down year after signing his contract. He'll make 15 million average salary for next 6 years. Wouldn't part with one of Lansing three in deal for him, his WAR 2.7, not that impressive but interesting.

That kind of package AA will be looking for this offseason's version of Mat Latos trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GNick View Post
    Possibly...he's coming off a bit of a down year after signing his contract. He'll make 15 million average salary for next 6 years. Wouldn't part with one of Lansing three in deal for him, his WAR 2.7, not that impressive but interesting.

That kind of package AA will be looking for this offseason's version of Mat Latos trade.
    Actualy, his new contract is 5/70 with a CO plus a 5m buyout. So 5/75. So the term falls into AA's guidlines, but how much does he want or have left, to commit to 2nd, after he gets the pitching taken care of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    Actualy, his new contract is 5/70 with a CO plus a 5m buyout. So 5/75. So the term falls into AA's guidlines, but how much does he want or have left, to commit to 2nd, after he gets the pitching taken care of.
    Sounds kind of big for what Jays looking for. Rangers want a lot I'd imagine?

I see more of trade with Escobar going in 3 team trade with Choo ending up here. Wouldn't suprise me if Jimenez ended up here also. As Alex really liked him 2 years ago at the deadline and his trade value now is very low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    ^ interesting read esp. when you consider they just signed him to a 5 /75 extension this year. But its probably a contract that would interest AA considering Kinsler is quality and has a good bat.. Problem is that with the weak market in mid infielders this off season there will be a few teams in the hunt for him. He would cost alot. And I'm thinking that other suitors will give a lot more than a JPA and 1 of the so called "big 3" that probably aren't ready till 2014 or 15. I think they want immediate younger guys who can step in right away. They won't take a step back to re tool with prospects not ready for a few years.

1 note here, I see him and Phillips as about the same. We were all over trying to get Phillips but he resigned for less than Kinsler, but if AA had interest in Phillips, it would only seem probable that he will kick some tires here, if in fact Texas will shop him.
    It is a very interesting read. Toronto and Texas could actually make good trading partners if Texas wants a long-term answer at C and is willing to trade Kinsler. I don't want to get into the possible specifics of a deal, but I'm sure there are a lot of ways to start the conversation on Kinsler.

vCash
    jason kubel? i know hes not superstar quality at all but hes a solid left handed power bat that can fill left field...not sure how he is defensively, probably not that good just by looking at him. perhaps he can dh. arizonas gotta trade one of parra or kubel methinks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BTBAM View Post
    jason kubel? i know hes not superstar quality at all but hes a solid left handed power bat that can fill left field...not sure how he is defensively, probably not that good just by looking at him. perhaps he can dh. arizonas gotta trade one of parra or kubel methinks
    Escobar for Parra? Could he be lead-off hitter for us
    Last edited by GNick; 10-12-2012 at 06:40 AM.

vCash

His average WAR would be 4.1 over his first 7 years. Where did this 2.7 number come from? Sure he had a down year this year, but his war last year was 7.1, and in 2009 it was 5.8. When he has a good year, he has a very good year.

The scary thing about Kinsler is that he only seems to be able to hit in Texas. He has posted the following OPS numbers away from home over the past 4 seasons:

2012: 611
    2011: 730
    2010: 710
    2009: 672

I am not so sure you can count on him being an .800 OPS bat playing in another ballpark. Especially in Toronto where he has a whopping career slash line of .174/.265/.289.

vCash
    Escobar for Parra? Could he be lead-off hitter for us
    I think Adam Eaton would be a better acquisition if we are looking to get a potential lead off hitter from Arizona. Parra was solid in 2011 (won a GG and had an OBP of .357), but he isn't a speedster, he doesn't walk much, and he doesn't hit for any power whatsoever.

Eaton posted an OBP over .380 and walked 14 times with only 15 K's in 103 PA's this year in Sept his first look at the pro's. He also beat up the PCL this year over 562 PA's putting up a slash line of .381/.456/.539 with 46 doubles and 38 SB's. I realize those are PCL stats, but he hit .300 with an OBP over .400 at every single level along the way (.450+ everywhere but AA in 2011 ) and rose very quickly through the ranks. He is a left handed hitter and looks like he could fit in nicely at the top of a lineup imo.

He still has plenty of service time if we want to try him in a real AAA league in 2013, and he should cost less via trade then Parra.

However, what about the following blockbuster trade with Arizona:

Colby Rasmus
    Yunel Escobar
    Daniel Norris
    Jake Marisnick
    Sean Nolin
    Marcus Stroman

for:

Tyler Skaggs
    Trevor Bauer
    Justin Upton

Is that enough talent to get 3 potential studs, not enough or sound about right? I realize Bauer and Skaggs are their top 2 prospects, but they aren't exactly short on pitching....and Upton is coming off a down year...

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast