Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast
    vCash
    ^Ricky Romero's not going to be the centerpiece for any of either Hosmer or Myers (Maybe Butler, but I wouldn't make that deal), not after the year he's had. Buerhle would have to be flipped to land either of those two. The royals just dished out 25 mill over 3 to Jeremy Guthrie. Granted Buerhle is an extra 20 mill over the same frame but he is a much superiour pitcher. I'd love to do something like Buerhle + lind + 10 million cash for Myers. We'd also shave 13 million off our payroll to reinvest in another starter and be able to plug in Myers in the DH slot.

vCash
    Butler or Hosmer are great but Royals want pitching. I think that AA wanted 2 starters this off-season but he has also traded away Alvarez so he still needs one himself.

Trading a starter for Butler would mean that you still need two more starters, I don't think there's a match there.

Unless AA can find a third team that isn't going to contend this season and try to deal prospects to them for pitching and then flip the pitcher. Even then I think I'd keep the pitcher tbh.
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    ^Might be hopeful thinking. If I was the Royals I'd want more peices or more then 10 mill back in cash to make that trade. But I think it's a workable core of pieces in a trade.

vCash
    Sign Marcum, E-Jackson or McCarthy
    Trade for one of the A's youngsters Straily, Griffen
    Trade Romero and spec's for Myers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Sign Marcum, E-Jackson or McCarthy
    Trade for one of the A's youngsters Straily, Griffen
    Trade Romero and spec's for Myers
    I'd be quite content on Happ being our 5th starter knowing that Marcum, EJax and McCarthy are going to cost 10+ mill over a multi-year deal. Fan of all 3 but that salary could be better spent getting a definitive upgrade over our top 4 of JJ,Morrow,Burehle,RR instead of upgrading over Happ (and maybe Rickey).

Straily and Griffen are going to cost tons - definition of cost controlled good young pitching etc etc etc that ends up making Billy Bean look like the second coming when he makes a trade. To be quite honest I really don't see them as true upgrades either over anything that we already have.

It's going to take some pretty strong spec's to trade for Myer's (atleast one of Sanchez, Synder or Osuna) after the year Romero's had.

If you had Will Myers would you trade him for a pitcher coming off a trainwreck season and mediocre specs? The specs would have to be the centerpiece here not Ricky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post
    I'd be quite content on Happ being our 5th starter knowing that Marcum, EJax and McCarthy are going to cost 10+ mill over a multi-year deal. Fan of all 3 but that salary could be better spent getting a definitive upgrade over our top 4 of JJ,Morrow,Burehle,RR instead of upgrading over Happ (and maybe Rickey).

Straily and Griffen are going to cost tons - definition of cost controlled good young pitching etc etc etc that ends up making Billy Bean look like the second coming when he makes a trade. To be quite honest I really don't see them as true upgrades either over anything that we already have.

It's going to take some pretty strong spec's to trade for Myer's (atleast one of Sanchez, Synder or Osuna) after the year Romero's had.

If you had Will Myers would you trade him for a pitcher coming off a trainwreck season and mediocre specs? The specs would have to be the centerpiece here not Ricky.
    Happ is a good fifth starter, my issue is who is the 6th?

Every team needs at least 6 or 7 starters every year, the experiences of last year also show us that very clearly.

Jenkins, McGuire & Cecil woud be next in line I guess, that isn't good enough imho. Around August Hutchison and Drabek should be returning that should give some solid options but an injury or two early in the season means disaster.

McCarthy on a 2 year deal or Oswalt on a 1 year would be great to give some cover in case of an issue.
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    Jason Vargas is a guy that intrigues me. He's better than a #6 though. I wonder what it would take to pry him away from the Mariners. I also wonder how much if any value Rajai has around the league. There must me somebody that wants his speed. I was thinking maybe Davis + for Vargas. (Also, interesting stat, Alvarez finished in the top 30 in the AL among qualifying SP in ERA last year, yikes).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDD View Post
    Happ is a good fifth starter, my issue is who is the 6th?

Every team needs at least 6 or 7 starters every year, the experiences of last year also show us that very clearly.

Jenkins, McGuire & Cecil woud be next in line I guess, that isn't good enough imho. Around August Hutchison and Drabek should be returning that should give some solid options but an injury or two early in the season means disaster.

McCarthy on a 2 year deal or Oswalt on a 1 year would be great to give some cover in case of an issue.
    You have a point. The thing is when injuries hit, and they always do - every team needs someone to step up. Outside of the Dodgers and Yankees no team can spend multi-million multi-year deals based on 5th,6th,7th starters;. I'd absolutely love to get EJax for 3-30 mill (for the record I think he's gonna get more, probably alot more) to be our 5th starter. Problem is that kills Happ's value for what I think would be similar production as EJAX as he would be pushed to the pen.

I'd even argue EJAX is as good as Romero over the last handful of years including last year's trainwreck from Romero. We needed to get Jackson last year, not this year when we have an already deep rotation 1-5. If injuries do happen yes someone like Mguire, Cecil, Rogers, Jenkins will have to step up. That list doesn't inspire alot of confidence but this is a situation that every team in baseball has to face. Most team's are lucky to even have a strong of a 5 man rotation as we do.

vCash
    i would call the ROyals and see if they have interest in Buehrle.. You can add some cash too..

this would give us a corner OF long term and another guy to use as DH...

and if that 40 of the 48 or so million saved (assuming you give the Royals 8 or 10) you can use to get a very good pitcher on the market who might even be better than Buehrle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    i would call the ROyals and see if they have interest in Buehrle.. You can add some cash too..

and if that 40 of the 48 or so million saved (assuming you give the Royals 8 or 10) you can use to get a very good pitcher on the market who might even be better than Buehrle
    then one would have to ask why KC wouldn't just buy this "very good pitcher on the market who might even be better than Buehrle" and keep their talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post

Pretty sure Mark Buehrle is not what they had in mind when the Royals said a frontline, top of the rotation starter

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ah nuts View Post
    then one would have to ask why KC wouldn't just buy this "very good pitcher on the market who might even be better than Buehrle" and keep their talent.
    Can you realistically see "very good pitcher's" wanting to sign with Kansas City? While the Jay's haven't seen the playoffs for the last 2 decades they have put up fairly respectable teams. Kansas City has been the doormat of the American League for quite a stretch.

There's a reason they had to pay Jeremy Guthrie over 8 million a year on a multi year deal - the same Jeremy Guthrie who put up a 1.5whip the last 2 years - Jeremy Guthrie who wouldn't even be our 5th starter and probably not 6th (I'd really rather pitch Jenkins). Can you see Sanchez, McCarthy or Jackson signing with Kansas City for anything other then a ridiculous overpay? I certainly can't.
    Last edited by kanersen; 11-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Pretty sure Mark Buehrle is not what they had in mind when the Royals said a frontline, top of the rotation starter
    And exactly what do you have in mind for a team wiling to trade a frontline top of the rotation starter for a minor league player? Even someone with the pedigree as Myers.

Verlander?
    Weaver?
    Kershaw?
    Hamels?
    Cain?
    Gio?
    Price?

let's even knock it down a notch

Morrow?
    Shields?
    JJ?
    Moore?
    Cueto?
    Zimmerman?
    Sale?

None of those teams make that trade except maybe Tampa with Shields because they might have to shed salary, and even then they'd be asking for more then just Myers

Best case scenario for "TOR starter" for Myers is someone like Jarrod Parker - and only because Oakland needs a hell of alot more hitting then pitching, and that is quite honestly probably a best case scenario for flipping assets. As it is right now though Parker is still not "Top of the rotation", certainly not anymore then Mark Buerhle
    Last edited by kanersen; 11-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post

I can't imagine they would cost a ton, a good haul for sure but something we could easily do. Not that it means much but an A's fan wanted a straight up swap JPA for Straily but of course other naturally thought he was crazy.

vCash
    Last year I didn't think Gio would cost a ton either but he did. Really had no idea that Gio would explode for the Nats like he did this year but when Oakland got the haul for him it wasn't because they were trading Gio the young left handed Cy Young contender he turned out to be.

Bean has no reason to trade Straily or Griffin unless it's for an over the top package.

Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 165664656667 LastLast