Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Lawrie13 View Post
    Uh, hold on a minute.

There's no way you can say Rasmus has had "one strong year out of 4", and then go say Hosmer "had a solid rookie year". Rasmus had a better rookie year.

Adjusted to 162 games, Rasmus was a 3 WAR player in his rookie year. Hosmer was only a 2 WAR player (also adjusted for 162 games) in his rookie year.

Now, I'm not saying Hosmer won't be as good as Rasmus, or that I wouldn't trade Rasmus for Hosmer (I certainly would), I'm simply stating that it isn't exactly fair to say that Rasmus has only had one good season, and then say Hosmer has also had a solid season. In fact, Rasmus' has had two seasons where he performed better than Hosmer ever has, and has never had a season as poor as Hosmer's most recent season.
    I can rephrase if you prefer. I'm more concerned of a player who has been in the league for 4 seasons, is 3 years older and has struggled for two straight seasons than a player that has been in the league for 2 seasons, is 3 years younger and has struggled for one season.

I'm fine if people call out the specifics of my claims, but in this case it doesn't actually change my opinion much. It's not that I think Rasmus is "worthless" as the original responder to my post suggest; or it's not that I don't think he could turn it around. It is simply that I'm a lot more concerned with him than I am with Hosmer at this point in their careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Lawrie13 View Post
    I adjusted it because if I didn't posters like you would have came on here *****ing about how Rasmus played more games.

Should I have? Honestly, it doesn't make a difference. There's nothing actually wrong with adjusting WAR, despite what you seem to think. It doesn't skew any numbers unless you're a complete idiot and are unable to adjust over 162 games. The only issue with it is you're assuming that each player will continue at there current pace. That can be an issue in some cases when trying to compare using WAR, but in this case, it really isn't a problem. It isn't like Rasmus played 18 stellar games for the month of September, he played 147 games that year. The same can be said for Hosmer (although he only played 128). If I were to say that Darin Ruf had a better rookie year than Hosmer because 6.8 WAR over 162 games, then that would be problematic, and you would have a reason to complain.

That, of course, is not what I did.
    The problem is the defensive component of WAR. It's more or less useless when looking at first baseman. Do you really think Eric Hosmer cost his team 7 runs at first base? What was he doing, just watching throws from his infield sail into the stands? Then consider the fact that Colby's rating in 2009 is a huge outlier compared to the rest of his career and ask yourself if you really think he saved 10 runs with his glove that year. I mean ****, we're talking about a guy who hit .251/.307/.407 here, do try to think beyond WAR.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    How? How does this "make too much sense" for both teams when it seems so far out left field it's in the bullpen.

Not to mention AA already said he doesn't want to flip JJ or Buehrle.
    You're right. They'll probably retire Jays.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    You're right. They'll probably retire Jays.
    Don't put words in my mouth just because you have absolutely unbelievable expectations...

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    How? How does this "make too much sense" for both teams when it seems so far out left field it's in the bullpen.

Not to mention AA already said he doesn't want to flip JJ or Buehrle.
    Amaro has said they want another arm. They also have payroll concerns going forward with Hamels now signed. 40M just to Hamels and Howard alone in '13. They also have a bunch of good young arms coming up.

We need another REAL ace. Buehrle is 48M. Lee is owned another 88M (with BO). So AA just gone all-in. For a another 40M you get 2 aces for next year and longer if JJ extends.

With JJ and Lee with Morrow...the Jays can compete is the East for the next 3-4 years. It also let's us not rush Sanchez, Syndergaard, Osuna, Norris, Smoral and Cardona. As well as less pressure to trade them.

So yes...it makes too much sense to swap Buehrle for Lee.

You need to have 2 Aces in the East. If Morrow stepps up...we'd have 3. Buehrle is just a very good #2...yet with his numbers and wear...could regress .
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Don't put words in my mouth just because you have absolutely unbelievable expectations...
    I really wish you'd start suggesting some trade ideas. Besides safe 1 for 1 deals.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Just saw KC is really shopping Myers. Good lord...what would it take? Would they take Romero? Or add to that?

Myers is the shat. He'd solve 1b power bat how can take a walk. Man do I want Myers.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Just saw KC is really shopping Myers. Good lord...what would it take? Would they take Romero? Or add to that?

Myers is the shat. He'd solve 1b power bat how can take a walk. Man do I want Myers.
    isnt he a cf?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozan10 View Post
    isnt he a cf?
    Thought he was a 1B for some reason...even better. Package Ramsus/JPA later for a arm.

Myers looks like the real deal. Did hothing but hit and hit hard in everylevel and knows how to take a walk.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Amaro has said they want another arm. They also have payroll concerns going forward with Hamels now signed. 40M just to Hamels and Howard alone in '13. They also have a bunch of good young arms coming up.

We need another REAL ace. Buehrle is 48M. Lee is owned another 88M (with BO). So AA just gone all-in. For a another 40M you get 2 aces for next year and longer if JJ extends.

With JJ and Lee with Morrow...the Jays can compete is the East for the next 3-4 years. It also let's us not rush Sanchez, Syndergaard, Osuna, Norris, Smoral and Cardona. As well as less pressure to trade them.

You need to have 2 Aces in the East. If Morrow stepps up...we'd have 3. Buehrle is just a very good #2...yet with his numbers and wear...could regress .
    If the Phillies really had payroll concerns, wouldn't they have traded Lee last summer to the Dodgers or Rangers who were offering prospects vs taking on $48 million for a substantially inferior pitcher?

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    If the Phillies really had payroll concerns, wouldn't they have traded Lee last summer to the Dodgers or Rangers who were offering prospects vs taking on $48 million for a substantially inferior pitcher?
    Not sure what you mean there. Cole signed his 144M deal in July of this year. The Phils don't want specs...they want ML pitching.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash

So... you think after the Jays just bumped payroll 50% and are now a top 5 payroll team in the league, they should "only" spend another 40 million and grab Cliff Lee? The same guy most people here (possibly you too) didn't want anything to do with 6 months ago?

Right...

Why stop there? Why not trade for King Felix too? Then the rotation of
    Felix
    Morrow
    Lee
    Romero
    JJ

I mean, that has to get it done right? Let's not stop there - let's trade the farm for Joey Votto and plug him in at first base. Only another 250 million added to payroll, no biggie... then the team will actually compete because I'm really not pleased with the moves we've made so far. We still have a ton of holes to fill and aren't close - so yeah - how about TDA, syndergaard, Gose and DJ Davis for Votto. Yeah.... call up AA, get it done.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    I'd like to grab Dan Strailey from the A's, he doesn't have a lot of MLB experince but I think he will be a dynamic young pitcher that could start as are 6th starter and move up fairly quick.
    Maybe a JPA, Deck McGuire and another lower level guy say Matt Dean for Strailey

vCash
    The Kansas City Royals are pushing hard to contend in 2013, considering almost every option to upgrade their pitching staff. And that includes trading the best hitting prospect in baseball.

In their search for a top-of-the-rotation starter, the Royals have dangled outfielder Wil Myers, the consensus 2012 minor league player of the year, two sources told Yahoo! Sports.
    From veterans like designated hitter Billy Butler to left fielder Alex Gordon to youngsters like first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas, the Royals aren't limiting themselves in their search for a pitcher. Butler and Gordon come with track records of production and contracts to match. Butler is owed $16 million over the next two years, with a $12.5 million club option in 2015. Gordon will make $31.5 million through '15 and has a player option at $12.5 million for 2016.
    Sounds like the Royals desperately want pitching. We may not have a pitcher to offer in a trade, but we have the assets to acquire one. Hopefully Anthopolous is in regular talks here. Butler, Hosmer or Myers would look excellent in a Blue Jays uniform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Sounds like the Royals desperately want pitching. We may not have a pitcher to offer in a trade, but we have the assets to acquire one. Hopefully Anthopolous is in regular talks here. Butler, Hosmer or Myers would look excellent in a Blue Jays uniform.
    I agree, i'd freaking love that. Ditch Adam Lind and plug one of these guys in? Yessir, sign me up.

I wonder "how much more" after Ricky Romero does it take to get this done? I'd happily give him up in a trade for one of these guys AND add in some prospects to help them for the future (as long as they weren't blue chippers/top guys like d'Arnaud).

Had to be done! Go T-Rex