Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I don't get why Hosmer value would be so high but yet another top prospect in Rasmus who has been as good or better than Hosmer is so low.
    Rasmus has had one strong year out of 4 in the majors. Hosmer has only been in the majors for 2 years and had a solid rookie campaign (3rd in rookie of the year voting). Rasmus is also 3 years older. I like Rasmus, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

vCash
    I see D'Arnaud value as high just about any other prospect considering his position is much harder to fill then any other.
    I agree.

He's got a **** load of value right now. I can definitely see AA moving him for a big piece. Especially if he's comfortable with JPA moving forward, which by the sounds of it he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Rasmus has had one strong year out of 4 in the majors. Hosmer has only been in the majors for 2 years and had a solid rookie campaign (3rd in rookie of the year voting). Rasmus is also 3 years older. I like Rasmus, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison.
    I realize it's not apples and apples but to act like Rasmus is worthless yet Hosmer hasn't dropped value at all seem a little crazy to me. Rasmus showed in flashes last year he still has an upside and is a solid feilder.

Another player is JPA he's had 2 seasons was a highly touted prospect at a hard position to fill but this form makes it sound like he's worthless, people seem to forget that JPA was in his sophomore season one were he improved.

Don't get me wrong I like Hosmer I just think were to hard on both JPA and Rasmus.

vCash
    I realize it's not apples and apples but to act like Rasmus is worthless yet Hosmer hasn't dropped value at all seem a little crazy to me. Rasmus showed in flashes last year he still has an upside and is a solid feilder.

Another player is JPA he's had 2 seasons was a highly touted prospect at a hard position to fill but this form makes it sound like he's worthless, people seem to forget that JPA was in his sophomore season one were he improved.

Don't get me wrong I like Hosmer I just think were to hard on both JPA and Rasmus.
    Fair opinion. I have a lot more optimism around Hosmer but your response definitely has substance to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Uh, hold on a minute.

There's no way you can say Rasmus has had "one strong year out of 4", and then go say Hosmer "had a solid rookie year". Rasmus had a better rookie year.

Adjusted to 162 games, Rasmus was a 3 WAR player in his rookie year. Hosmer was only a 2 WAR player (also adjusted for 162 games) in his rookie year.

Now, I'm not saying Hosmer won't be as good as Rasmus, or that I wouldn't trade Rasmus for Hosmer (I certainly would), I'm simply stating that it isn't exactly fair to say that Rasmus has only had one good season, and then say Hosmer has also had a solid season. In fact, Rasmus' has had two seasons where he performed better than Hosmer ever has, and has never had a season as poor as Hosmer's most recent season.

vCash

He was nowhere near the quality of prospect that any of Hosmer, Rasmus or d'Arnaud are/were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Lawrie13 View Post
    Uh, hold on a minute.

There's no way you can say Rasmus has had "one strong year out of 4", and then go say Hosmer "had a solid rookie year". Rasmus had a better rookie year.

Adjusted to 162 games, Rasmus was a 3 WAR player in his rookie year. Hosmer was only a 2 WAR player (also adjusted for 162 games) in his rookie year.

Now, I'm not saying Hosmer won't be as good as Rasmus, or that I wouldn't trade Rasmus for Hosmer (I certainly would), I'm simply stating that it isn't exactly fair to say that Rasmus has only had one good season, and then say Hosmer has also had a solid season. In fact, Rasmus' has had two seasons where he performed better than Hosmer ever has, and has never had a season as poor as Hosmer's most recent season.
    Well there's a textbook case of misusing WAR if I've ever seen it.

vCash
    I was looking for a guy who could be a good platoon partner for Lind (because if he's staying on this team, he damn sure needs one), and I came across an interesting name: Jesus Guzman, 1B/OF on the Padres. As far as I can tell, their OF is Quentin-Maybin-Venable/Denorfia with Alonso at 1B so he looks like the odd man out, although I'm not exactly well-versed in the Padres' starting lineup. He had a slash of 311/387/509 against lefties last year and I don't imagine he'd cost a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by con_artist View Post
    I was looking for a guy who could be a good platoon partner for Lind (because if he's staying on this team, he damn sure needs one), and I came across an interesting name: Jesus Guzman, 1B/OF on the Padres. As far as I can tell, their OF is Quentin-Maybin-Venable/Denorfia with Alonso at 1B so he looks like the odd man out, although I'm not exactly well-versed in the Padres' starting lineup. He had a slash of 311/387/509 against lefties last year and I don't imagine he'd cost a lot.
    Good find.. seems like a good fit

He is a .311 career hitter vs. lefties with near .900 OPS.. i'm down

There are a lot of options out there and I really hope that AA doesn't just settle for Lind and DAvis

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Get Lee for Buehrle...I won't stop saying. Make too much sense for both teams.

The Phils need a CF...Ramsus for Ruf (1b is covered...and we get a power OBP bat) Gose is CF and figures it out.

We then have serious speed with power with men on base.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Not that I want to really trade Reyes...I'd be interested to think what we could get for him though. With me I always think trades should have more than 1 player. So Reyes and who for who?

Does anyone else remember who else was sweet on Reyes last year before he signed with MIA?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    I dont like the idea of trading Reyes, but he would get you a nice return and I like how you think creatively, so I'll play even though I want Jose here. I would want a good offensive shortstop and a banger in return, so I would see if Washington would give us Ian Desmond and Micheal Morse for Reyes and a BP arm. Fills the Reyes SS/leadoff spot and fills out our DH spot with a power bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    Get Lee for Buehrle...I won't stop saying. Make too much sense for both teams.

The Phils need a CF...Ramsus for Ruf (1b is covered...and we get a power OBP bat) Gose is CF and figures it out.

We then have serious speed with power with men on base.
    How? How does this "make too much sense" for both teams when it seems so far out left field it's in the bullpen.

Not to mention AA already said he doesn't want to flip JJ or Buehrle.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    Good find.. seems like a good fit

He is a .311 career hitter vs. lefties with near .900 OPS.. i'm down

There are a lot of options out there and I really hope that AA doesn't just settle for Lind and DAvis

.285/.345/.437
    .288/.367/.463
    .304/.349/.435
    .316/.376/.397

I don't know why everyone wants to upgrade Davis....the above slash lines are Davis' last 4 years against LHP. If you are hoping for something, hope for another left handed hitting slugger. We need another left handed bat at DH to mash right handed pitching a lot more then we need another right handed bat to hit lefties.

I want to see us find a left handed hitting upgrade at DH, and to simply move Lind to the bench.

Davis- LF,CF,RF
    Buck-C
    Lind-1B
    Izturis-3B,SS,2B

It would be an expensive bench..but good teams have solid players backing up their starters to make it through 162 games. If you can't get something decent for Lind, then simply use him against RHP or leave him on the bench for when we need him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Well there's a textbook case of misusing WAR if I've ever seen it.
    I adjusted it because if I didn't posters like you would have came on here *****ing about how Rasmus played more games.

Should I have? Honestly, it doesn't make a difference. There's nothing actually wrong with adjusting WAR, despite what you seem to think. It doesn't skew any numbers unless you're a complete idiot and are unable to adjust over 162 games. The only issue with it is you're assuming that each player will continue at there current pace. That can be an issue in some cases when trying to compare using WAR, but in this case, it really isn't a problem. It isn't like Rasmus played 18 stellar games for the month of September, he played 147 games that year. The same can be said for Hosmer (although he only played 128). If I were to say that Darin Ruf had a better rookie year than Hosmer because 6.8 WAR over 162 games, then that would be problematic, and you would have a reason to complain.

That, of course, is not what I did.

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast