Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2012 Blue Jays Trade Idea Thread Volume III

Quote Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
    Pretty much every player with bad contracts clear.
    Players with quality contracts get claimed then pulled back by their team and we never hear about it.

Crazy or not, you think if Rios can be claimed that Bautista or EE wouldn't be?
    Rios aside to state that pretty much every player clears and Bautista & EE would as well is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    I guarantee Jose and Edwin would get picked up if they went through waivers. I see both of your point of views but fatkev is right, Jose has a very decent contract that would attract teams. Same with Edwin. If they placed say....Adam Lind on waivers its a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Right now I'm pretty damn sure Jose would clear waivers given the fact he's coming off a wrist injury and there's no guarantee he'll come back healthy in April. And as much as I'd like to believe that's not the case, players coming off wrist injuries tend to take longer to heal. Even when they're physically ready to come back and off the D/L, they're usually not nearly as effective as they were before for another season or so. I'd be thrilled if starting in 2013 Bautista is launching home runs over the left field wall like nobody else can, but coming off a wrist injury I'm not so sure that's going to happen right away.

It might have been a stretch to say EE/Jose would pass waivers, but the point is it's not a big deal when players clear waivers in August cause it happens a lot more than we think.
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    yeah this is really weird coming from Twitchy.. saying good players clear waivers is just wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    im still pretty confident Bautista got claimed by someone and EE did for sure with his new contract
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    On the wrist thing. I'm actually really concerned about this injury. A lot of Bautista's skill is his fast swing and how he moves his wrist during ABs.

I'm hopping for the best but, this could be a concern.

Another reason why you got to think (just think) about trading your star players.

For example. What kind of haul would AA have got if he trading Jose and Ricky in the off season?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
    I've said some things in the past that were incorrect, you corrected me and I've learned from it and in fact appreciated it. I'm only trying to do the same for you (and others who respect what you write and believe what you said to be true).
    You're wrong, but I'm not arguing this point any further. Choose to believe what you want I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSirotka View Post
    Yeah, you people have said it well enough, don't think I need to elaborate further on it. Hat tip to Fatkev78.

One thing I think is that the Dodgers have changed the way waivers work. I think you'll see a dramatic shift in terms of how teams approach this area in 2 ways.

1) More Dodgeresque deals (as large-market teams desperate for help down the stretch take on big contracts)
    2) More reluctance to put star players on waivers.

As for the second point, I believe that in the pre-Twitter era, it was quite common for GMs to dangle their star players on waivers, just to gauge interest. Now, every time a player of Cliff Lee's calibre becomes waiver bait, the news spreads to the Internet. I don't think that's a good thing. The player in question gets the impression that the team doesn't want him, there's a media circus... it's just a negative distraction. Teams should be more careful about who they put on waivers, to avoid those kinds of needless situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Just to comment on this, I don't think you'll see GM's stop putting stars on. Just because you always have the option to pull them back.

And I agree with you about the leaks, it's kind of ridiculous how many are leaked. It's supposed to be confidential, teams need to hold their employees to their confidentiality agreements, I know at my work place that **** would not fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Nobody knows who is speaking --- hell it could be the owner himself leaking the news. Or the GM himself. Or the President. Hard to say who's leaking what. The Jays seem very tight with the information they share so you dont see much leaked out from their end -- but other teams have very outgoing senior personnel so its easier...
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    It's so bad...I don't even have any crazy trade ideas. Nothing.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Sign two of Anibal Sanchez/Edwin Jackson/Shaun Marcum/Fracisco Liriano

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    My Jays for 2013.

Trade Farrell + a prospect to the Red Sox for Clay Bucholz. Maybe also rights to David Ortiz (so no comp pick). Dave Martinez probably manager.

Deal with Philly for Cliff Lee, maybe Rasmus? That may be giving up too much I am not sure. Maybe get a prospect included to flip to Boston for Bucholz. Gose and Sierra little weak with bat for their position but Ortiz should gain their loss on offense back. Payroll around 100 million.

Lee
    Morrow
    Bucholz
    Romero
    Alvarez/Happ (battle it out for 5th spot in spring)

Jannsen
    Santos
    Oliver
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Alvarez/Happ/Perez
    Loup

Lawrie
    Escobar
    Bautista
    Ortiz
    Encarnacion
    D'Arnaud
    Scutaro
    Sierra
    Gose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GNick View Post
    My Jays for 2013.

Trade Farrell + a prospect to the Red Sox for Clay Bucholz. Maybe also rights to David Ortiz (so no comp pick). Dave Martinez probably manager.

Deal with Philly for Cliff Lee, maybe Rasmus? That may be giving up too much I am not sure. Maybe get a prospect included to flip to Boston for Bucholz. Gose and Sierra little weak with bat for their position but Ortiz should gain their loss on offense back. Payroll around 100 million.

Lee
    Morrow
    Bucholz
    Romero
    Alvarez/Happ (battle it out for 5th spot in spring)

Jannsen
    Santos
    Oliver
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Alvarez/Happ/Perez
    Loup

Lawrie
    Escobar
    Bautista
    Ortiz
    Encarnacion
    D'Arnaud
    Scutaro
    Sierra
    Gose
    I like it except I would push either for Butterfield to finally get his shot as manager or Sandy Alomar Jr. Adding Bucholz + Lee and Ortiz would be a huge coup.

vCash
    Trade Arencibia and Rasmus (fills two positional needs for Tampa, Upton probably doesnt go back) for Hellickson and a mid level prospect
    Traade Escobar/Hech + one of the lansing 3 for Upton, or Sign Hamilton to 5/120 deal
    Gose slots into center
    Dont know what you do at 2nd, probably bring back Johnson on a 1 year deal...
    Sign Scutaro to be bench infielder. Can play 2nd/SS/3rd

CF Gose
    3B Lawrie
    LF Hamilton
    RF Bautista
    1B Encarnacion
    DH Lind
    SS Escobar
    C d'Arnaud
    2B Johnson

Morrow
    Romero
    Hellickson
    Villanueva
    Happ

Loup
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Lyon
    Oliver
    Janssen
    Santos

Mathis
    Davis
    Scutaro
    Cooper? Mccoy? someone else...?

vCash
    My plan is contingent on finishing in the bottom 10 so th first round pick is protected.

Sign Ortiz to a $34M 2 year deal with a club option for a 3rd year.
    Sign Swisher to a 5 year $95M deal.
    Trade Arencibia and Gose to get Jose Altuve from Houston.
    Trade Escobar and Sierra to get Wade Miley from Arizona.

d'Arnaud
    Encarnacion
    Altuve
    Hechavarria
    Lawrie
    Swisher
    Rasmus
    Bautista
    Ortiz

Mathis
    Davis
    Lind
    McCoy (or similar)

Morrrow
    Romero
    Miley
    Alvarez/Happ/Villanueva
    Alvarez/Happ/Villanueva

Janssen
    Santos
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Lyon
    Oliver
    Cecil
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    Would there be absolutely anything wrong with the Jays trading for Upton and signing Hamilton? Hamilton, Upton and Bautista outfield would be the most ridiculous trio in a long-time.

Now having said that, its not gonna happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BTBAM View Post
    Trade Arencibia and Rasmus (fills two positional needs for Tampa, Upton probably doesnt go back) for Hellickson and a mid level prospect
    Traade Escobar/Hech + one of the lansing 3 for Upton, or Sign Hamilton to 5/120 deal
    Gose slots into center
    Dont know what you do at 2nd, probably bring back Johnson on a 1 year deal...
    Sign Scutaro to be bench infielder. Can play 2nd/SS/3rd

CF Gose
    3B Lawrie
    LF Hamilton
    RF Bautista
    1B Encarnacion
    DH Lind
    SS Escobar
    C d'Arnaud
    2B Johnson

Morrow
    Romero
    Hellickson
    Villanueva
    Happ

Loup
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Lyon
    Oliver
    Janssen
    Santos

Mathis
    Davis
    Scutaro
    Cooper? Mccoy? someone else...?
    Oh boy. Another Leaf fan running amok.

vCash
    The "Lansing 3" are cool and all, but Bauer, Scaggs, Bradley they are not. I think you need a top position player or big league ready top prospect to get you into Upton talks, ideally at C/SS. Besides TDA not sure there's anything the Jays have to get that done. I'm sure there's a possibility of a three-way somewhere, but point is guys like Rasmus/Hech/Escobar probably don't have that much value to the DBags.

vCash
    A lot of these proposals are pretty unrealistic and IMO don't really make the team look much better.

Sink money and prospects in to pitching and let the bats figure themselves out.

Another number 2 arm, or an ace if possible and a 3-4 arm to go along with Romero, morrow, Alvarez, Happ, Villanueva and Whoever else looks a lot better than what we have now especially considering how inevitable injuries are its nice to have guys in the pen who can step in and fill the hole.

I'm happy with Jose, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Rasmus and I'm not worried about JP or Escobar but I'm not stoked on them either. We have LF, 2B and DH to address either from within or from somewhere else. There are no FAs I can see us going after to fill LF or 2B so don't be surprised if we see Johnson back or Hech at 2b, which isn't great but it's also not the worst thing ever. Who knows what happens with LF. they seem to like Gose, maybe they let him have it, who knows. DH will probably be given to Lind as a last chance thing, if not, Ortiz is the obvious choice.

Lawrie
    Rasmus
    Bautista
    Encarnacion
    Ortiz/Lind
    Escobar
    JPA/D'arnaud
    Gose
    Hech

Morrow
    New arm
    Romero
    Alvarez
    Happ

Knowing our front office this seems like the best bet for our 2013 team.

TBH all I care about is getting more quality arms.
    Last edited by MrForever; 09-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    If 2013 is the year... then I expect something like this

Lineup (this is a long shot, but one can dream )

Lawrie
    Rasmus
    Bautista
    Ortiz
    EE
    J. Upton / Choo /
    JPA / D'arnaud
    Keppinger
    Yunel / Hech

Starting Rotation (need some big improvements)

Top of the rotation starter
    Morrow
    Romero
    Free agent signing (Marcum?)
    Happ/Alvarez (I would prefer Happ, because Alvarez needs another pitch)

Bullpen (sadly the only sure thing right now)

Janssen
    Santos
    Delabar
    Lincoln
    Lyon (resign him and let Frasor walk)
    Oliver (if he doesen't retire)
    Loup
    CV (long man)

On paper, this team can take the AL East imo.

vCash
    ^^If the Choo rumours are for real he would look pretty awesome in the 2-spot.

vCash
    What are the Choo rumors?

Is he an FA or is he available via trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
    What are the Choo rumors?

Is he an FA or is he available via trade?
    Cleveland can't afford him.

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast