Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapajafri View Post
    just remember how drastically different things could be if SF took Rodgers instead of Smith. Rodgers would certainly not be as good as he is today. He could still be fighting for a starting job on another team, a career backup, or maybe in a coma still with the horrible SF offensive lines that Smith played behind from 2005-2010. No QB would have succeeded in SF from 2005-2010, that includes Rodgers. SF and that situation was that bad... 2 defensive rookie head coaches, 6 offensive coordinators in 6 years, bad blocking. Hell, Smith had 3 different shoulder surgeries during a 3 year span because the line kept getting him killed. If SF picked Rodgers, Tampa Bay and Gruden would have taken Smith at 10 and the league would be a lot different. That's why I'll always give Alex Smith a pass. He was set up to fail and still managed to come out of there with some success and a career story thats not finished being written yet.
    And the lord said Amen.

vCash
    Rodgers is way better now, and always will be. Not even close. Smith may not even be a top 15 QB, and Rodgers is the best in the league.

NYK
    NYY
    STJ
    BIG D
    NYR
    JUVE

vCash

Arod vs Alex Smith

I like Orton smith

our future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapajafri View Post
    just remember how drastically different things could be if SF took Rodgers instead of Smith. Rodgers would certainly not be as good as he is today. He could still be fighting for a starting job on another team, a career backup, or maybe in a coma still with the horrible SF offensive lines that Smith played behind from 2005-2010. No QB would have succeeded in SF from 2005-2010, that includes Rodgers. SF and that situation was that bad... 2 defensive rookie head coaches, 6 offensive coordinators in 6 years, bad blocking. Hell, Smith had 3 different shoulder surgeries during a 3 year span because the line kept getting him killed. If SF picked Rodgers, Tampa Bay and Gruden would have taken Smith at 10 and the league would be a lot different. That's why I'll always give Alex Smith a pass. He was set up to fail and still managed to come out of there with some success and a career story thats not finished being written yet.
    Gruden was terrible at grooming young QBs. So Smith is likely doomed to mediocrity in Tampa too.

Favre probably retires a Packer in 2010 in this what-if, but not after failing a few more years in the playoffs. Then I guess Flynn takes over? He was drafted in 2008, but hadn't looked good until that 2010 season.

As far as Rodgers, he probably bombs in the beginning with the 49ers. Although largely forgotten now, he was awful those first few years with GB. It wasn't really until 2007 that he was ready to be a starting QB. So there is a chance that he rebounds around then and ends up having a pretty good career. Maybe nowhere near where he is now, but still better than Alex Smith.
    Last edited by DRS172; 09-07-2012 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    People are aware that sacks aren't always the o-lines fault right? Sometimes its the qb. Kind of like when Rodgers got sacked 50 times in one season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    People are aware that sacks aren't always the o-lines fault right? Sometimes its the qb. Kind of like when Rodgers got sacked 50 times in one season.
    Exactly. I suspect Rodgers is always going to get sacked more than average. Doesn't matter how good his line is... it's always going be high because of his style of play. Same thing is true with Roethlisberger.

vCash
    There are literally only two things that would have been for sure in the scenario of Rodgers getting drafted first, they are:

Aaron Rodgers would have had to of played as the #1 starting QB before he did with the Packers.

Alex Smith wouldn't have dropped as far as Rodgers did. People forget this, but *some* people were predicting Rodgers first, most had Smith going first. Smith definitely would have been gone by the Packers.

Anything else is pure speculation, no matter how much logic you apply to it, it's apples and oranges. Perhaps Smith would have shined after years of sitting backup to Favre, although I may disagree, this is not likely. Perhaps Rodgers would have shot out the gates with SF and been good... I would hope no one thinks this... but its *almost* statistically impossible.
    As always, flame responsibly.

vCash
    the only thing you can say about these 2 is that were in the same draft dats it arod and smith are night and day when it comes to playing QB
    Last edited by goku; 09-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyy3487 View Post
    rodgers is way better now, and always will be. Not even close. Smith may not even be a top 15 qb, and rodgers is the best in the league.
    +1000

vCash
    Arod will always be better
    <<<<Home of the Giants
    SF Giants -
    Heat -
    49ers - x5
    Sharks -
    Texas A&M (CFB) - Johnny "football" Manziel!!!!
    Seton Hall (CBB) - One day........I miss Dehere
    Current favorite players - D Wade, Patrick Willis, Buster Posey.
    All time fave's - Glen Rice/ZO, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice

vCash
    Smith can't hold Rodgers jock strap
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    And where are those rivers and streams located? In the mutha fuken woods bro
    not just in the woods , but IN THE MUTHA FUKEN WOODS!
    @paulpierce34 I told Wade I will **** his mom like how my man D. West did his mans. Thats why I got ejected
    Ignore List:
    AIMelo=KillaDUO; Reason: Makes up stories to protect the one he beats his meat to everynight(Melo)
    Chucky Woods; Reason: Packer Homer that just talks outta his Azz
    HaruSoul; Reason: Sanchez homer can't see that he is a POS qb
    Hustlenomics; Reason: Good luck debating with this Ronda homer
    nickdymez; Reason: Kobe/Laker homer but didn't even know how the Lakers got Kobe

vCash
    Smith doesn't have a chance to be better anymore, but did when he was drafted

vCash
    Obviously Aaron Rodgers has proven to be a far superior QB to Alex Smith up until this point of their careers. Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league in my opinion and Alex is not in the top 10 (we'll leave the debate on where he is for another time as I think he is much better than what others say about him). Alex will never be the best QB in the league, so unless Rodgers takes a serious decline (I doubt it), Rodgers will always be better than Alex. So, to answer the original question, Alex Smith will never surpass Aaron Rodgers in that regard. I would like to add that just because Aaron Rodgers is the far superior QB, it doesn't mean that the 49ers selected the wrong QB in the 2005 draft. Both QBs were drafted into different circumstances and those circumstances impacted their development. Aaron Rodgers was drafted to a good football team and had the opportunity to sit behind Favre and learn. Aaron Rodgers has had the same offensive system in place for the entirety of his career. Aaron Rodgers has always had an excellent receiving group. Alex Smith, on the other hand, was drafted by an awful team whose best WR when he was drafted was Arnaz Battle and has had mediocre WR groups until now. This season will be the first year that Alex Smith will have the same offensive coordinator for 2 consecutive seasons. So, instead of working on his mechanics every year, Alex was learning a new playbook. Also, Aaron Rodgers has had the opportunity to play for an excellent offensive HC in McCarthy while Alex Smith has (until last seasn) always played for defensive guys (Nolan and Singletary). Aaron has played in a west coast version of the spread while Alex has played in a smash mouth style of offense. All of these things impacted their development. This is not to knock Aaron. Aaron fell into the perfect situation and took full advantage of it. Props to him for it. He definitely made the most out of it. All in all, Alex Smith will never be on the same level as Aaron Rodgers, but it is possible for him to be on the same level as, say, the Matt Schuab, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler tier of QBs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny642 View Post
    Smith can't hold Rodgers jock strap
    Mad Seahawks fans jealous we have an actual quarterback

True MVP 49ers 2012

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast