Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Reporters Using ‘Fake’ Names to Buy Obama Campaign Merchandise at the DNC

I thought the media was suppose to be the third line of govt like it was meant to be. That's why I don't trust main stream media.

CHARLOTTE, NC — Members of the media have apparently been using “fake names’ to buy official Obama gear and contribute to the Obama campaign inside the Time Warner Cable Arena where the President is due to speak in a few minutes. During our travels around the arena, Politicker spotted a souvenir stand in one of the press stands selling T-shirts and buttons supporting President Barack Obama, “Democrats Are Hot” bumper stickers and other official Obama merchandise.

The souvenir stand was in a secure area only accessible to those with a media credential and buying campaign gear means contributing to the campaign, so we asked the woman working the cash register whether anyone at the press stand had been making purchases. Her answers were quite surprising.

The woman working at the souvenir stand told us she hadn’t been “too busy” during the day, but had seen business pick up in the past half hour or so. She then asked us whether we wanted to buy anything. When we informed her that our status as a reporter means we don’t buy campaign gear, she suggested a strategy other members of the media have apparently used to pick up their Obama swag.

“Have you ever thought of making up a fake name? That’s what the other guys do,” she said.

Buying official merchandise at the DNC means making a donation the Obama campaign, an activity that is generally frowned upon for members of the media. The Obama campaign website specifically informs shoppers that purchases amount to donations in its “Frequently Asked Questions” section where one of the queries is, “Can I receive merchandise without making a donation?”

“The only way to receive items from the 2012 store is by contributing through the official store site at store.barackobama.com,” the site says.
    http://politicker.com/2012/09/report...ag-at-the-dnc/

Don't ask don't tell is back, not for gays in the military, Obama's policy for questions about Libya - Jay Leno

vCash
    This was about as surprising as the montage of people with **** me eyes everyone had on during the Clinton speech. It was hilarious. Panning from woman to woman. It was like a comendy skit. Its nice to see Ol WIlly still has it.

As for reporters buying DNC gear, I'ds prefer they just go ahead. At least then they could report with a shred of integrity. Fox news could wear their Mitt t shirts, and all the other stations could wear their hope and change campaign gear.

Go and get on with it folks, we all already know who you're in the bag for anyway.

vCash
    Since when do you need to give your name to buy a bumper sticker?
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    You know it's a good report when the sixth word is "apparently."
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    This was about as surprising as the montage of people with **** me eyes everyone had on during the Clinton speech. It was hilarious. Panning from woman to woman. It was like a comendy skit. Its nice to see Ol WIlly still has it.

As for reporters buying DNC gear, I'ds prefer they just go ahead. At least then they could report with a shred of integrity. Fox news could wear their Mitt t shirts, and all the other stations could wear their hope and change campaign gear.

Go and get on with it folks, we all already know who you're in the bag for anyway.
    This exactly, I'm not sure why reporters pretend anymore as if they have ever fooled anybody. I wish fox would drop their whole "fair and balanced" bull crap and just switch to "we balance the left by being overly right"

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    I thought the media was suppose to be the third line of govt like it was meant to be. That's why I don't trust main stream media.
    Who in the hell said anything about it being "meant to be?" Where is that written exactly?

I'm a Producer here in Chicago and I once had a reporter tell me something that has never left me...

"People who think we're suppose to inform people should watch PBS, at the end of the day every station is a business and we're all only in this for 1 thing: money."

Until it's realized that the job of these stations is to make money than people will stupidly believe that they give a **** about you or the truth, they don't. All they care about is if you're watching and conflict draws more ratings than peace.

Your first mistake was not realizing this, and to just assume it was meant to be a check on government is flat out asinine. The news is only the way it is because people want it that way.

Everything is simply a reflection of what the people demand...whether it's your evening news or jersey shore.
    Last edited by whitesoxfan83; 09-07-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    What's sad is that the news was seen
    as something with far more integrity 30 40 years ago. I guess that's why I watch PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    What's sad is that the news was seen
    as something with far more integrity 30 40 years ago. I guess that's why I watch PBS.
    I don't think there's as much lack of integrity as we're led to believe. What I do think is that a brilliant and effective campaign to make it seem like the news can't be trust has been waged. Watch FNC for a couple hours and count how many times "main stream media" and "liberal media" are said in a negative context. It's every on-air person, every day. It's no accident that people don't trust the media like they used to. They're not supposed to.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    Who in the hell said anything about it being "meant to be?" Where is that written exactly?

I'm a Producer here in Chicago and I once had a reporter tell me something that has never left me...

"People who think we're suppose to inform people should watch PBS, at the end of the day every station is a business and we're all only in this for 1 thing: money."

Until it's realized that the job of these stations is to make money than people will stupidly believe that they give a **** about you or the truth, they don't. All they care about is if you're watching and conflict draws more ratings than peace.

Your first mistake was not realizing this, and to just assume it was meant to be a check on government is flat out asinine. The news is only the way it is because people want it that way.

Everything is simply a reflection of what the people demand...whether it's your evening news or jersey shore.

Great post.

It's the "Howard Stern" / "Rush Limbaugh" / "Glen Beck" syndrome - these people don't give a damn about decorum or ethics; they're just looking to get the biggest possible ratings. If they have to lie to get some attention, so be it - they're in it to get ad revenue, and nothing else matters.

I think if more people realized that it's all about money, they'd better understand what they're being told and why...

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I don't think there's as much lack of integrity as we're led to believe. What I do think is that a brilliant and effective campaign to make it seem like the news can't be trust has been waged. Watch FNC for a couple hours and count how many times "main stream media" and "liberal media" are said in a negative context. It's every on-air person, every day. It's no accident that people don't trust the media like they used to. They're not supposed to.
    Ah the networks are not much better, at least fox is winking at you when they say hair and balanced. Even PBS has gotten to the point where they have succumbed to the two equal sides of a story... There so often aren't, theres just one... or there are eight sides.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Ah the networks are not much better, at least fox is winking at you when they say hair and balanced. Even PBS has gotten to the point where they have succumbed to the two equal sides of a story... There so often aren't, theres just one... or there are eight sides.
    This is the problem we have now. If two opposing viewpoints are not given on a story, then it's seen as slanted and unfair.

The problem is, facts don't have two sides, and the truth is neither slanted nor unfair, it simply is.

Which, of course, is the problem with the "we report, you decide" slogan, because there shouldn't be any deciding. If someone went and shot up a school, then they went and shot up a school. I don't get to decide they didn't.

It's pathetic.
    Visit my Blog.